• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"why we have 3rd umpire now"

FRAZ

International Captain
Yea, I mean whenever an Australian player appeals, the umpire shouldn't even have to make a decision. The other guy should just walk.
Highly offensive and an un called for sentence ...
A blatant mistake by the umpire and nothing else ,Healey never appealed and please avoid generalization .
Thank you
Sincerely !

bond21

Banned
yea if something is dubious, theyre labelled a cheater.

Hell Ronaldo was labelled a cheater for complaining to the ref that Rooney stepped on his team mate's balls.

Yea, Rooney's not the cheater cheating Carvalho out of children with his soccer spikes, Ronaldo is the cheater for standing up for his team mate rolling around on the ground in agony clutching at his balls because some shrek lookalike put his spikes through his nut sack.

FRAZ

International Captain
The way of explaining the issue should be polite and generalization factor shouldn't be present . Taunts and one odd examples won't help any cause .

bond21

Banned
no hes right, all australians are cheaters.

But it must suck knowing everytime you lose its the descendants of your own convicts humiliating you.

also, a response to the predictable reply - I dont care.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Shocking umpiring there, not Healy's fault it was wrongly given, unless you consider the fact he should have stumped Lara without dropping it.

Doubt this is anything to do with Healy being a cheater or Australia cheating again and again etc. purely a bad umpiring decision due to the angle he saw it from. The problem was rectified, so there you go.

Lara had a right to be pissed though, would be absolutely gutting to be given out when you actually saw the ball go nowhere near the stumps, if you look carefully you can see Lara was watching the whole ordeal.

Wonder what Healy said TBH, probably "I think I got him." fair enough really, Umpire threw his hand up long before.
you either have the ball in your hand or you dont(his gloves cant be so thick that he cannot feel the ball in his hand)-I agree to the rest of post though.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
no hes right, all australians are cheaters.

But it must suck knowing everytime you lose its the descendants of your own convicts humiliating you.

also, a response to the predictable reply - I dont care.

who said that ?thats as bad as somebody here commenting on the the pakistanis.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I reaaly hope they implement the referral system in test cricket so that this kind of thing can be avoid.

bond21

Banned
....did you even watch the video?

he dropped the ball, picked it back up and when it was about to break the bails the ball left his hand, how the hell could he know if he had the ball in his hand or not at the same time he broke the bails??

it looked 50/50 to me, greg chappell wasnt sure, so how can healy know? Hell for all he knew he still had the ball when he broke the bails.

Stop blaming Healy for umpiring decisions....you are pathetic. Its like saying Symonds should have walked against India....he goes by the umpire's decision and gets blamed for staying there....absolutely ridiculous.

The majority of players dont walk, so why should Symonds throw his wicket away when theres a very good chance of the other team getting a life?

What annoys me is idiots labelling certain players as cheaters, defaming their characters because of their own stupidity.

Cheating - Doing something that is forbidden within the rules of the game

Symonds has every right to stand his ground when given not out, Lara does not have that right, because he was given out.

Trevor Chappell had every right to bowl the underarm delivery, it was a legal delivery and within the laws of the game. Yet people defame his character as well as Greg Chappell's because they THINK it was unsportsmanlike, so they defame their characters by labelling them cheaters. So basically, players get bad reputations because morons voice their opinions, and other morons listen.

Cheating is black and white, no grey area. If you think Healy is a cheater, youre an idiot. If you think he was unsportsmanlike, thats your opinion and I disagree.

If you think Symonds is a cheater, you dont know the laws of the game of cricket, therefore your opinion is worthless.

If you think Symonds is unsportsmanlike, thats your opinion, but 99% of batsman in the world would have done the exact same thing as him.

Last edited:

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
....did you even watch the video?

he dropped the ball, picked it back up and when it was about to break the bails the ball left his hand, how the hell could he know if he had the ball in his hand or not at the same time he broke the bails??

it looked 50/50 to me, greg chappell wasnt sure, so how can healy know? Hell for all he knew he still had the ball when he broke the bails.

Stop blaming Healy for umpiring decisions....you are pathetic.
The ball was gone before he broke the stumps.Lets agree that we disagree on this and move on-I wont stoop to name-calling,sorry.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even Greg Chappell wasnt sure and he was watching a slow motion replay, yea Im sure Healy knew...
LOL. How is this even comparable? One player was in contact (or not) with the ball and the other was watching it. Hardly the same.

ret

International Debutant
what was wrong with it?

Healy appealed for a stumping, Lara got given out. Lara should have walked instead of whinging about the decision to the umpire, hell Ive never seen an umpire or ref change their decision unless informed otherwise by another official.

Lara was at fault in that video, Healy was not.
case 1 ----> Healy claims a stumping, which doesn't appear like a stumping [similar to someone claiming a bump catch]

case 2 ----> the umpire gave the batter out

we are talking abt the case 1, FYI

Last edited:

Burgey

case 1 ----> Healy claims a stumping, which doesn't appear like a stumping [similar to someone claiming a bump catch]

case 2 ----> the umpire gave the batter out

we are talking abt the case 1, FYI
Well, Healy looked pretty sheepish, didn't he?

I remember when this happened, and Lara apparently went ballistic after the match, saying Healy can't come into the WI rooms for a beer, etc. IIRC some of the senior players had to calm him down.

Certainly wasn't out. It's one thing to say that though, the other to call him a cheat, when he gets up and looks at the umpire and asks a quizzical question of him, almost as though he didn't know himself.

I can see this situation being somewhat similar to the Symonds catch at cover of Dilshan(?) at the WACA this year, rather than being like Clarke's in Chappell-Hadlee ODI in Hobart last year.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

I remember when this happened, and Lara apparently went ballistic after the match, saying Healy can't come into the WI rooms for a beer, etc. IIRC some of the senior players had to calm him down.

Certainly wasn't out. It's one thing to say that though, the other to call him a cheat, when he gets up and looks at the umpire and asks a quizzical question of him, almost as though he didn't know himself.

I can see this situation being somewhat similar to the Symonds catch at cover of Dilshan(?) at the WACA this year, rather than being like Clarke's in Chappell-Hadlee ODI in Hobart last year.
He should have just said that he didn't have the ball in his hand, instead he started to celebrate.

I wouldn't call it cheating but just leave it at that. Listening to Healy's commentary all those years, that event just sums up him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There are two things. In most professional sports, you take any favorable decision you get no matter what and you try to fake yourself into getting that decision (e.g, soccer when people fall down, in football when they try to get away with a penalty, etc). But it irks me when cricketers pretend to uphold something more than the spirit of the game, and then do stuff like that anyway. You can't be holier than thou about it if you do it yourself.

On the Indian side, Sreesanth deliberate overstepping against England was atrocious and should have earned an immediate ban. Dhoni claiming bumped catches also comes to mind - and I've seen him do it twice. On the Australian side, we have the gold standard bumpcatcher in Clarke. So every team does it, but they all pretend to play the game 'hard but fair'. Well, at least one part of it is right. I'd be happy if they removed all this spirit crap from the game and acted like professionals sportsmen that would do anything to win (including cheat, if and when they get away with it), as they clearly do. It hasn't been a gentleman's game for half a century - and probably a bit longer than that.

Sledging is another one of those things. I used to think anything should go, and if you can't take it - get the hell out. But the problem is the players are patently not going to police themselves, and then they are going to complain when someone (to them) crosses a line...so record everything and broadcast it live. When Bhajji, or whichever idiot of the day starts losing endorsement deals because now everyone can clearly see their IQ, maybe that'll be the incentive to stop. I always laugh when people sledge in cricket because if you tried that same sort of **** in the NFL, talking about someone's mother, you'd get your knees blown the next play. If you want to talk crap, be a man and start a fight. It's cowardice to talk crap when you know the batsman won't take a stump and stick it up your behind. But, in the end, it works out best for me (a spectator) because for once I can focus on the game and not what Idiot A said to Moron B.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
There are two things. In most professional sports, you take any favorable decision you get no matter what and you try to fake yourself into getting that decision (e.g, soccer when people fall down, in football when they try to get away with a penalty, etc). But it irks me when cricketers pretend to uphold something more than the spirit of the game, and then do stuff like that anyway. You can't be holier than thou about it if you do it yourself.

On the Indian side, Sreesanth deliberate overstepping against England was atrocious and should have earned an immediate ban. Dhoni claiming bumped catches also comes to mind - and I've seen him do it twice. On the Australian side, we have the gold standard bumpcatcher in Clarke. So every team does it, but they all pretend to play the game 'hard but fair'. Well, at least one part of it is right. I'd be happy if they removed all this spirit crap from the game and acted like professionals sportsmen that would do anything to win (including cheat, if and when they get away with it), as they clearly do. It hasn't been a gentleman's game for half a century - and probably a bit longer than that.

Sledging is another one of those things. I used to think anything should go, and if you can't take it - get the hell out. But the problem is the players are patently not going to police themselves, and then they are going to complain when someone (to them) crosses a line...so record everything and broadcast it live. When Bhajji, or whichever idiot of the day starts losing endorsement deals because now everyone can clearly see their IQ, maybe that'll be the incentive to stop. I always laugh when people sledge in cricket because if you tried that same sort of **** in the NFL, talking about someone's mother, you'd get your knees blown the next play. If you want to talk crap, be a man and start a fight. It's cowardice to talk crap when you know the batsman won't take a stump and stick it up your behind. But, in the end, it works out best for me (a spectator) because for once I can focus on the game and not what Idiot A said to Moron B.
well said sir.

Top_Cat

First off, why on Earth has this come up when it happened around 16 years ago immediately before the 3rd umpire was implemented in matches? Seriously, are we that stuck for stuff to debate that we have to bring up something which happened involving a long-retired player for a situation which doesn't happen any more (i.e. decisions given without a, given imperfect, 3rd umpire)? I suspect that, consistent with recent behaviour, ret posted it just be Mr Antagonist. Really, if you're getting a rise out of balanced, mild characters like honestbarani as has happened in other threads, you might want to be less obnoxious.

I think that specific incident happened years later (although Lara was definitely upset after this one!). 1996 when Healy took a low catch off a very thin edged pull shot from Lara, he walked off and straight into the Aussie dressing rooms giving Bob Simpson a piece of his mind. The incident in 1992 would have contributed to the perception amongst the WI players that Healy was an antagonist and made Lara pretty mad, hence the outburst (which I believe he was fined for). Healy and the WI opening batsmen were always at each others's throats.

Not that it matters that much, really; Healy had a long history of annoying batsmen. Lara was just one of the many who blew their top about him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The ball was gone before he broke the stumps.Lets agree that we disagree on this and move on-I wont stoop to name-calling,sorry.
Healy was trying to knock the ball onto the stumps though, rather than grab it. That's where his confusion may have possibly come from.