Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What on earth is wrong with James Anderson?

What on earth is wrong with James Anderson?

Well for all of the fast bowling experts, what is it, because I sure as hell don't know, other suggesting it is a confidence thing. You see the deliveries that got out Aaron Redmond and Brendon McCullum, where the sort of fast bowlers would dream about, just like a batsman playing a crisp cover drive VVS Laxman style. And now he has the all of the wickets New Zealand has lost (6), and yet in the last Test he bowled some absolute crap, boosted in the end by picking up the last few wickets to fall in the New Zealand innings to make it look like he had respectable bowling figures, and this has gone on long enough as well (Anderson bowling crap). You see how he bowled and it beggers belief why he can't do it more often because it would of got any top order batsman out being Aaron Redmond, to the likes of Jacques Kallis, Rahul Dravid or Ricky Ponting (if you had got bat on it you have likely have been caught behind or in the slips) for mine.

I don't know what is wrong with him, but I would wish he would do it more often as he clearly has ability.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Regular
    I don't know. I think it is a confidence thing. He puzzles me as well. He bowls a lot of tripe and the occasional Jaffa.

Besides his hair?

He's the Stuart MacGill of the fast bowling world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Whats wrong with James Anderson: He's getting too many bloody wickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

U19 Captain
    He just needs swing. Give him swing and he's Lillee. No swing, or lack of swing, and he's rubbish. No in-betweens because he hasn't got the 'stock' delivery he can call upon.
    http://allblacklineout.com

The Vettori brain massage session:

@#!@#@#$#@$ !@#@!#!@~ YEA EAT THAT!! !@#~!@!@#!@#

Technical deficiencies = inconsistency

99*
    He's English.

Banned
    too busy styling his hair in the morning to warm up?

Probably a confidence thing - Theres no mistake worse than being afraid of making one.

ie if you are afraid of bowling a wide, chances are....you will bowl a wide because thats what you're concentrating on, you're not saying to yourself "I want to bowl this on off stump"

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    too busy styling his hair in the morning to warm up?
    Nah. We all know that there's nothing Jimmy likes to do more (after he's completed his morning coiffiture (sic.)) than play a little bit of soccer to warm up for a game of cricket. This also helps explain why he's suffered a few pre-game sprained ankles.

And also provides evidence that he's a bit of a tit.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Nothing is wrong with Jimmy besides being a talent who England have correctly nurtured. and who is improving. 24 wickets this year at 24.75 with a strike rate of just 35.3 shows that he is starting to realise his talent. I expect him to continue improving against South Africa too. He is bowling attacking lines and lengths and should be expected to go for runs but provide the invaluable option of getting some wickets most of the time too.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Anderson's a smashing bloke tbh

Anyway, I read that it was something to do with his action. Goughy has interesting things to say on the topic, cbf to search for them though

I think, as has been alluded to, when he swings, he is capable of utter destruction but when it's not swinging he doesn't know what to do, doesn't really know how to bowl for economy. When he's bowling destructively he often keeps it tight, but when it stops swinging he sprays it everywhere. Desperately hopeful that he does learn how to keep it tight at the downtimes, because he could then go on to be a very, very good bowler.

The fact that he's at his best when it swings is best shown by his performance at Wellington - absolutely blistering opening spell, dismissed the top 5 I think, but then did little for the rest of the match.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Anderson's a smashing bloke tbh

Anyway, I read that it was something to do with his action. Goughy has interesting things to say on the topic, cbf to search for them though

I think, as has been alluded to, when he swings, he is capable of utter destruction but when it's not swinging he doesn't know what to do, doesn't really know how to bowl for economy. When he's bowling destructively he often keeps it tight, but when it stops swinging he sprays it everywhere. Desperately hopeful that he does learn how to keep it tight at the downtimes, because he could then go on to be a very, very good bowler.

The fact that he's at his best when it swings is best shown by his performance at Wellington - absolutely blistering opening spell, dismissed the top 5 I think, but then did little for the rest of the match.
    Goughy is critical of Anderson's rather dire head position; however, as it comes as a direct, sub-conscious reaction to the full shoulder rotation which allows him extra pace and alledgedly late swing - I don't think that it can or should be attempted to be corrected.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I've never really been convinced about Anderson. He has always been too wild. People can talk all they want about technical flaws, but I'm fairly sure he could bowl with a carbon-copy of Glenn McGrath's bowling-action, or Richard Hadlee's, and his accuracy would still generally be poor.

James Anderson is basically like a much quicker and a fair bit taller version of me. You can practice all you like (and I don't, maybe he does) but there's a limit to how much you can improve your control of the ball.

Anderson with a good-quality cricket-ball in the right state (generally brand-new) can be as dangerous as any bowler, though sometimes he can go for a good few runs while being dangerous. The trouble is, even this is far from a guranteed gurantee, because I've seen him bowl woefully under perfect circumstances too.

Anderson has always promised more than he's delivered, all career. Now, he's had more than his share of misfortune with injuries, but he's also bowled execrably when perfectly fit a good few times.

I do not and never have thought it very likely that Anderson will amount to much as a Test (or ODI, but that's for another time) bowler. He simply does not have the control, on 90% of occasions.

His figures this year look good, but they're mostly comprised of 1 good spell at the start of a series then nonsense for the rest of it. His opening spells at Basin Reserve and Lord's against New Zealand were excellent, but he was awful for the rest of the first-innings of those games, the second-innings, and the next Test.

This time, there is the balm of him having bowled well, and not just for one spell but an entire innings so far, in the ongoing Test. That's interesting, because I'd say it's something that's only happened twice before, and one of these (Trent Bridge 2003) was on one of the worst batting pitches you'll ever see. I still don't expect it to be a sign of a corner being turned, though, just as it wasn't in Mumbai in 2005/06.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

He has always been able to bowl killer balls. He just cant bowl them often enough to make up from for the fact that he sprays it all over.

Cant (and will not) be able to ever be a consistent Test bowler.

Recent figures are helped by the fact that he has played in some pretty helpful conditions and NZ are ****ty.

He has always been able to bowl the odd magic ball but it is so one dimentional and Test bowlers need more depth than that.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    in the last Test he bowled some absolute crap, boosted in the end by picking up the last few wickets to fall in the New Zealand innings to make it look like he had respectable bowling figures
    However, Anderson was the best of England's seamers in the second innings, yet only took the one wicket. Swings and roundabouts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information