• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

open365

International Vice-Captain
what do the aussies have left after the 2007 world cup?

does anyone have informed knowledge of australian cricket atm?

i was wondering what kind of players they have lined up for international cricket after many of the present side retire.

it owuld be could if we could come up with an australian under 25 XI to see what the side might be like in forthcoming years.

Openers

Middle/lower order batsmen

all rounders

spinners

pace bowlers

keepers

so any info would help.

cheers.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Possible 2007+ side:
P Jaques
C Rogers
R Ponting (c)
M Clarke (vc)
C Ferguson
M North
S Watson
C White*
C Hartley (wk)
B Lee
S Tait
D Cullen

*M Johnson to come in at 9, if the pitch is seamer friendly

Pretty much the top up and coming players plus Ponting and Brett Lee

Katich and Mike Hussey could still be around as well.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist, Ponting, Martyn, Clarke, Hussey, Symonds,Watson, Lee, Mcgrath, Tait.

I guess they are still better than most teams.

open365

International Vice-Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Possible 2007+ side:
P Jaques
C Rogers
R Ponting (c)
M Clarke (vc)
C Ferguson
M North
S Watson
C White*
C Hartley (wk)
B Lee
S Tait
D Cullen

*M Johnson to come in at 9, if the pitch is seamer friendly

Pretty much the top up and coming players plus Ponting and Brett Lee

Katich and Mike Hussey could still be around as well.
m north?

from his performances with lancashire he looks bloody awful but i suppose he might just be going through a bad run.

watson is a great player and should be in the side atm imo.

is cullen the leg spinner?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
m north?

from his performances with lancashire he looks bloody awful but i suppose he might just be going through a bad run
I would like to differ, la. Looks a good off break bowler....not much cop with the bat, mind

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
does anyone have informed knowledge of australian cricket atm?

i was wondering what kind of players they have lined up for international cricket after many of the present side retire.

it owuld be could if we could come up with an australian under 25 XI to see what the side might be like in forthcoming years.

Openers

Middle/lower order batsmen

all rounders

spinners

pace bowlers

keepers

so any info would help.

cheers.
they have a lot of talent that can come in in those area's after the 2007 WC,

Openers they is Jaques, Hussey & probably rodgers

Middle order their is Clarke, David Hussey, North, Hodge (even though 30 now could play at lot more after 2007 once his form stays good) & some good youngsters like Cosgrove, Phillipson, Ferguson

Keeper - Haddin with two good youngsters in Ronchi & Crosthwaite

Spinners - White & Cullen are the front runners

All-rounders - Symonds, Watson, Hopes

Pacers - Tait, Bracken, Johnson, Lee, Dizzy (he may be out of form but if he gets back some form he will be around then as well)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Gilchrist, Ponting, Martyn, Clarke, Hussey, Symonds,Watson, Lee, Mcgrath, Tait.

I guess they are still better than most teams.
Gilchrist, Martyn and McGrath will be gone by then.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
No, they have a lot of potential.

You cannot name players who haven't yet played Internationals as talent.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
m north?

from his performances with lancashire he looks bloody awful but i suppose he might just be going through a bad run.

watson is a great player and should be in the side atm imo.

is cullen the leg spinner?
Cullen is a off spinner

I wouldn't read too much into how Marcus North has played in short period, in conditions that don't suit his batting. The conditions at Old Trafford and other parts of England are a lot different to the WACA, his home ground. But in saying all that he no longer has a leg up in getting into the Australian Team now Allan Border has stepped down from the selection committee. AB was a big fan of North, ever since he captain a U19 side he coached.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:

Openers they is Jaques, Hussey & probably rodgers

Middle order their is Clarke, David Hussey, North, Hodge (even though 30 now could play at lot more after 2007 once his form stays good) & some good youngsters like Cosgrove, Phillipson, Ferguson

Keeper - Haddin with two good youngsters in Ronchi & Crosthwaite

Spinners - White & Cullen are the front runners

All-rounders - Symonds, Watson, Hopes

Pacers - Tait, Bracken, Johnson, Lee, Dizzy (he may be out of form but if he gets back some form he will be around then as well)
I know your big fan of David Hussey, but i don't think he will be in the selectors mind in 2007. By that time he will the wrong side of 30 and is unlikely to have forced his way into the side. Once spots to open up for the middle order i will be very surprised if they go for him over young players like North, Cosgrove and Ferguson. If he was even in the selector's mind short term he would have been on the A Tour to Pakistan.

Also Chris Hartley got the nod over both Ronchi and Crosthwaite as the reserve keeper behind Haddin. So it looks like the selectors think that his the long term replacement for Gilly, ATM.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Gilchrist, Martyn and McGrath will be gone by then.
Marc It's already year 2005, Month 9. World Cup is in 2007 March (and not in 2011) which mean it's about a year and half away. I dont see Gilchrist, Martyn retiring in next one and half year. Mcgrath maybe but I really doubt that. Infact my gut feeling is that even Warnie is going to be around to make up for his stupidity in 2003 WC.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Marc It's already year 2005, Month 9. World Cup is in 2007 March (and not in 2011) which mean it's about a year and half away. I dont see Gilchrist, Martyn retiring in next one and half year. Mcgrath maybe but I really doubt that. Infact my gut feeling is that even Warnie is going to be around to make up for his stupidity in 2003 WC.
its after the world cup we're talking about

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Also Chris Hartley got the nod over both Ronchi and Crosthwaite as the reserve keeper behind Haddin. So it looks like the selectors think that his the long term replacement for Gilly, ATM.
i wont be so quick to conclude to that Hartley, Ronch & Crosthwaite are all young talented but unproven at FC level we will have to see how they perform for their respective states in the coming years to see who may keep for the aussies in the future. My money is on Ronchi :D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Haddin, Ronchi and Crosthwaite are all likley to playa fair bit international cricket i would - the first 2 probably more so though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Hasn't Gilchirst already indicated that's the end of him (young family etc)

Martyn will be what 35, and McGrath 37...

pskov

International 12th Man
Yeah, Gilchrist has already said he'd definitely retire after WC 2007, but has dropped hints that he could go before that. Martyn I could see sticking around if no-one is pushing him for a place. There was a long stretch in the ninties when he was in the wilderness, so he hasn't played as much international cricket as the other batsmen therefore presumably hungrier. McGrath will surely go after the WC, we can see age already taking a toll on him now let alone two years in the future.