• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Australians - Mk II

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Arthur Morris just over Gilchrist. Great opener who adapted to different conditions well (Scored a century in his 1st First Class match in Australia, England, South Africa and the West Indies). Would be one of my openners if I was choosing an All Time Australian XI.

In my opinion Gilchrist is the equal of Morris but I voted for Morris because he doesn't deserve to go out without a vote.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeesh. Toughie. Instinctively McGrath, because he was just so very, very good at what he did. Not a player to quicken the pulse, but boy was he effective.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Very tough round 1 draw, given the one we had before. McGrath, but both Huss and Scarl deserved to go a lot further than this.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Clarrie Grimmett - Sly fox, got better with age like a good wine, invented the flipper and even a leg spinner which looked like his badly disguised wrongun. He is the equal greatest spinner ever in my opinion and being equal best as either a fast bowler or a batsman is a status that I don't think either McGrath or Hussey are able to claim

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Haha sheesh. Never thought McGrath would almost get eliminated in the first round. Tied with Grimmett 5 all. I guess my vote would have to do it. Has to be McGrath for me.

Round 1: Battle 13

Bill Woodfull

Tests: 35 matches, 2300 runs @ 46.00, 7 100s, 13 50s

VS

Stuart MacGill

Tests: 44 matches, 208 wickets @ 29.02, 12 5w, 2 10w

VS

Bill Brown

Tests: 22 matches, 1592 runs @ 46.82, 4 100s, 9 50s, HS 206*