Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interview With Martin Crowe - Cricinfo

As opposed to taking the word of people who gouge cricket balls with a ring-pull in a test match?

There's a pretty simple reason why Waqar was not as effective in Australia as at home - it's called not being allowed to get away with it

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    They weren't allowed to get away with it in West Indies or England either (though many of the English papers tried to make false accusations) but Wasim and Waqar still utterly tore-up there.

And yes, I'd generally take the word of someone who'd committed the minor crime of ball-tampering and no more over someone who's performed the litany of offences Afridi has (some of which he's been brought to task for, many of which he undoubtedly hasn't).
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Minor offence????????????????????????????

He supposedly was party to outright cheating - this is not simply rubbing sunburn cream/sweat on the ball (which everyone does), it's bringing a foreign object onto the field and hacking into the ball

Reading Crowe's responses, he obviously regarded it as cheating and was offended enough to warn captains of other countries

There's a ridiculous stigma attached to ball-tampering, especially by Australians. Compared to some of the stuff Shahid Afridi's done (inclusive of countless disruption to his own team by placing his own ambitions above both his own performance and team harmony) it's nothing, nothing whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    There's a ridiculous stigma attached to ball-tampering, especially by Australians. Compared to some of the stuff Shahid Afridi's done (inclusive of countless disruption to his own team by placing his own ambitions above both his own performance and team harmony) it's nothing, nothing whatsoever.
    You mean like Barnes, who refused to play test cricket unless he was paid?

Sounds pretty reasonable to me, being a professional cricketer and all. Unlike Afridi who is more concerned with playing shots (for whatever reason) and undermining seniors to improve his chances of the captaincy than either scoring runs or contributing to harmoneous dressing-rooms.

School Boy/Girl Captain TheEpic's Avatar
    How is illegally tampering with the condition of the ball to gain an unfair advantage over the other team a minor offence exactly?
    Ponting is made out of hay. Lolz!

Agree with that and have deleted the posts. Unless charges have been laid, I don't want to hear about.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by TheEpic View Post
    How is illegally tampering with the condition of the ball to gain an unfair advantage over the other team a minor offence exactly?
    You think I'm not aware of what can get the site in trouble, being a staff writer? I've not made any allegations, I've simply mentioned things that Afridi has definately and possibly done. There are plenty of things relating to the game of cricket which are worse than gouging the ball.

Afridi is not and never will be someone I'll take too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEpic View Post
    Apart from the fact that if one side can tamper, so can the other, it's very minor compared to a good deal of things. Mentioning, of course, no examples.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They weren't allowed to get away with it in West Indies or England either (though many of the English papers tried to make false accusations) but Wasim and Waqar still utterly tore-up there.

And yes, I'd generally take the word of someone who'd committed the minor crime of ball-tampering and no more over someone who's performed the litany of offences Afridi has (some of which he's been brought to task for, many of which he undoubtedly hasn't).
    But ball tampering is a breach of the rules invloving dishonesty as much as, say claiming a catch which has clearly bounced, isn't it?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Very nice article. It's nice to see an a honest interview, instead of the cliche stuff you see these days. The stuff about his batting technique is really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    But ball tampering is a breach of the rules invloving dishonesty as much as, say claiming a catch which has clearly bounced, isn't it?
    Yes, and both are very minor offences in the grand scheme of things. An accusation of such from Shahid Afridi is not one I'd take terribly seriously.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yea, I'd say that's about right.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Fantastic Read. MC has always been a very favorite cricketer of mine and one of the the very few NZ cricketers that I enjoyed watching.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information