• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interview With Martin Crowe - Cricinfo

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sounds pretty reasonable to me, being a professional cricketer and all. Unlike Afridi who is more concerned with playing shots (for whatever reason) and undermining seniors to improve his chances of the captaincy than either scoring runs or contributing to harmoneous dressing-rooms.

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
How is illegally tampering with the condition of the ball to gain an unfair advantage over the other team a minor offence exactly?

pasag

RTDAS
Agree with that and have deleted the posts. Unless charges have been laid, I don't want to hear about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How is illegally tampering with the condition of the ball to gain an unfair advantage over the other team a minor offence exactly?
You think I'm not aware of what can get the site in trouble, being a staff writer? I've not made any allegations, I've simply mentioned things that Afridi has definately and possibly done. There are plenty of things relating to the game of cricket which are worse than gouging the ball.

Afridi is not and never will be someone I'll take too seriously.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apart from the fact that if one side can tamper, so can the other, it's very minor compared to a good deal of things. Mentioning, of course, no examples.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They weren't allowed to get away with it in West Indies or England either (though many of the English papers tried to make false accusations) but Wasim and Waqar still utterly tore-up there.

And yes, I'd generally take the word of someone who'd committed the minor crime of ball-tampering and no more over someone who's performed the litany of offences Afridi has (some of which he's been brought to task for, many of which he undoubtedly hasn't).
But ball tampering is a breach of the rules invloving dishonesty as much as, say claiming a catch which has clearly bounced, isn't it?

Isura

U19 Captain
Very nice article. It's nice to see an a honest interview, instead of the cliche stuff you see these days. The stuff about his batting technique is really interesting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But ball tampering is a breach of the rules invloving dishonesty as much as, say claiming a catch which has clearly bounced, isn't it?
Yes, and both are very minor offences in the grand scheme of things. An accusation of such from Shahid Afridi is not one I'd take terribly seriously.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fantastic Read. MC has always been a very favorite cricketer of mine and one of the the very few NZ cricketers that I enjoyed watching.

Swervy

International Captain
I think he is good value for money most of the time, and he didnt fail with this article

What has Afridi done, have I missed something in this thread, I am all confused?

MrHat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'd say its much worse, claiming a bumped catch will only dismiss one player but with a tampered ball you can run through a line-up pretty quickly