• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Fast Bowler's fast Bowlers

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Lloyd's only choice for the World XI from outside West Indies....

DENNIS LILLEE
whom he considers "the greatest of them all"

There have been a lot of outstanding fast bowlers over the last fifteen years but none has quite matched Lillee, who I consider to be the greatest of them all.

As a batsman, you can never relax against him. even if you are past a century and doing well. He has the power to think players out, always willing to try something, never mechanical.

Strong and well built, he has just about the perfect action and, at his peak, was as fast as anyone. I first struck him - or perhaps it should be the other way around - when he played for Australia against the World team in 1971-72, a series in which he made his name, and his eight wicket spell in our first innings at Perth was just about the quickest bowling I have ever experienced.

He can bowl just about anything - the out-swinger, the in-swinger, the off-cutter, the leg-cutter, a good bouncer, even a change-ball leg-break, Like Hall he has the stamina which enables him to bowl fast for long periods, and his effort is never less than 100 percent. If by some time capsule devise, to have himself and Hall operating at opposite ends while at their peak what a sight that would make, for the spectators if not for the batsmen.

In the very first sentence there, Lloyd makes it clear, who is his number 1 and in the last one it, more or less, confirms who is the number two. With Roberts and Holding making up his best four fast bowlers.

He does mention some others to indicate the others he rates highly.

THOMSON, GRIFFITH and SNOW

There are several other bowlers who had such merit that it is difficult to resist the temptation to include them. Perhaps I should have given myself the latitude of a seventeen member squad instead of a playing eleven!

There were no more dangerous fast bowlers, for example, than Jeff Thomson and Charlie Griffith. The former was really fast when at his best. with the ability to make the ball fly from an awkward length. But he was not the all round bowler in the sense that Lillee and Roberts are, since he relied on speed alone and needed the pitches to assist him to be truly effective.

Griffith
was a similar type, a really strong man who had the ability to get the ball to lift steeply with the yorker to complement the tactic. Of course, his career was unfortunately plagued by controversy over his action but he was never once called in Tests all over the world and, with Hall, formed a tremendous partnership.

John Snow was certainly a fast bowler of the highest class - one who used his head better than most and one who proved himself in England, in Australia and in the West Indies. He might not have been quite as fast as Lillee, Hall or Roberts but his bowling lost nothing because of this. Because of his high action, he would hit the pitch hard and he used the seam expertly.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Imran seems to agree with Lloyd's views on the limitaions of Thomson when he writes...

My action in 1971 was very similar to the sling-shot style of Jeff Thomson, except that I was more chest-on than Thomson. There the similarity ends for I was never as fast or as devastating.

...but I must admit I was glad I changed from such a javelin thrower's style of bowling. With that kind of action it's almost impossible to do anything other than just bowl fast., rather than try for seam or swing.​

Incidentally, Imran writes in detail about how he changed his action and why. I am tempted to reproduce it entirely for the benefit of my friend who felt side on action was not required for out-swing. :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
SJS, I wish to thank you for the wonderful lesson you are giving some of us, including myself of course.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Excerpts from the second article of ten great fast bowlers listed by Arlott
MAURICE TATE
by AA Thomson

For all those who played with him and watched him, the picture remains vivid and clear; a bulky figure ambling up the crease in half a dozen easy strides; an action that is dead sideways on to the batsman as the right arm sweeps over; the ball is delivered at seemingly medium pace and, the instant it lands, it shoots past the batsman like a hissing snake. Tate has taken another wicket.

My mathematically minded friends assure me that this notion of a ball gathering speed off the pitch, like a boosted aero-engine, is completely illusory. It may be so but when you consider the number of wickets that Tate took in his first class career, there must have been 2,783 victims of the same illusion, because to the end of their days they believed, or will believe, that the ball that got them out flew up off a length with all the maignity of the original serpent of Eden,.

(In 1919 after the war) he hit his 1000 runs and this...he was to do a dozen times without a break.

In the fine summer of 1921 he scored a massive double century, gaining the reputation of being the country's most promising young batsman for a long time..... a form master's report card might have read ; Batting excellent; bowling fair..... but in the following season a vital change occurred.

...Phillip Mead was carrying on a typical wwar of attrition against the bowlers..Tate grew exasperated (and) stung by the sight of his best off-breaks mocked and murdered, released partly in exasperation and partly by accident, a venomous ball which pitched on the off stump and, at a heightening speed before Mead could move over to cover it, spun wickedly across and took his leg stick. The impossible had happened. For an ordinary off-spinner to have penetrated Mead's defence was about as likely as a pea-shooter piercing the armour plate of a battleship, it was that lightening spurt, that uncanny accelration that had done the trick.

.. in that same innings Tate took three more wickets, two of them with the same monstrous 'accelrator'. A new bowler had joined the Sussex ranks.

An even more vital event took place at the beginning of that season. Gilligan had been selected captain of Sussex...for Tate ... it was an introduction to greatness.

From the moment of that devilish freak ball at Eastbourne, Gilligan was anxious to have it launched again. At the earliest opportunity Tate was hailed to the nets at Hove. A few 'unloaded' off-breaks came down and then - the projectile. Gilligan's middle stump not merely shot back but shot back right through the net itself. Three times the faster ball came down, like a poison-pill disguised in a confection of conversation lozenges .. and three times the stumps were spreadeagled.

By the end of the season he had doubled his takings, passed his 1000 runs and completed the first of his eight doubles.

..to be continued

Attachments

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Incidentally, Imran writes in detail about how he changed his action and why. I am tempted to reproduce it entirely for the benefit of my friend who felt side on action was not required for out-swing. :)
I'd love to read about Imran changing his action.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didnt know you were friends with Malcolm Marshall

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love A A Thomson's work.

Sir Don sent a letter to me once after I'd written and asked about the best place to obtain good 2nd hand cricket books. I asked him about Cardus and AA Thompson and, sharp as a tack, he noted in his letter the best place to get books, and gently reminded me it was " A A Thomson - no 'p'".

The framed letter now has pride of place in my study at home :).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love to read about Imran changing his action.
Ok. I will do that though it means piecing together bits from lots of different places in his book.

I am so glad that some of you are liking this stuff. I have always felt that some of us have been blessed with having been exposed to great writings and great writers and the need to share the wealth of information and knowledge that lies hidden inside volumes of work put down by practitioners and students of the arts and crafts.

Its like the old saying about giving away your books once you have read them. But you can give away your books only to one person and there too you don't know whether he/she will be really interested. I hope I will find such a person for my library before I move on.

Thats why places like this forum are such a blessing for you can, in a way, share your 'books'. Here you come across so many lovers of the game some of whom, of course, are also very well read (better than I and hence I learn here too) but so many others are not for no fault of theirs except that they have not been as fortunate. For thats all it is. The good fortune to be exposed to them early and the good fortune to be able to afford them and the good fortune to have the time to go through them. Hence this effort at sharing.

I am aware that thee are those who are somewhat cynical about what has gone in the past, or what is written or said about those they have not seen and hence not formed very strongly favourable opinions about. To them I can only say, I am sorry. I wish you looked at this with an open mind. I know that I know my cricket and my cricket history and I am able to say it in all modesty because I am fully aware that I know my cricket and my history of the game not because of something 'great' inside me. Its purely from what I have read and absorbed over time.

Knowledge is not intellect and it is certainly not a substitute for it but nor is intellect a provider on its own of knowledge. A high (or low IQ) is more or less given to you but knowledge it is within to acquire and to shun it is not a very wise thing to do. On being 'wise', while intellect is given to you without much effort on your part and knowledge is acquired, wisdom is something you get with age and over time.

So, of the three, knowledge is the only one which you can make an effort to aquire as much of as you wish and as fast and as early in life as you desire and are willing to. To shun it because you feel you already know is mostly because you confuse intellect (an often conditioning and bias) with knowledge and thats not very wise.

Sorry for the lecture but its a habit :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The action and swinging the cricket ball

A lot has been written about why the cricket ball (for a long time it was mainly the newer ball) swings. I am not going to fill up this post with those scientific details. Anyone interested could read the many places where you find explanations. I still consider the one in Bradman's 'fabulous' cricket manual "The Art of Cricket" the finest writing on it. (Did I hear someone say, "what did Bradman know of swing - he never saw it"

But one thing everyone agrees upon is that the position of the seam (besides several other factors amongst which the atmospheric conditions are paramount) is a HUGE contributor. The bowler needs to ensure that the ball leaves the hand with the seam straight and continues on its flight trajectory with the seam position intact. The longer it does that the more the chances of the ball swinging.

The direction of the seam at the time of delivery and during its trajectory determines the direction of swing.

There is NO disagreement on that. If anyone thinks that is so. Dont bother to read further for this is trash.

Now the problem is how to ensure that the ball leaves the hand with the seam position intact and continues like that.

For leaving the hand the grip (on the ball) is the first thing that needs to be taken care of. The bowler holds the seam straight and parallel to the first two (index and middle) fingers. Then to ensure that the ball does not change position at the point of release, he tries to ensure that his fingers do not move laterally or across (even ever so slightly) to change the seam integrity. Hence the need to let the two fingers, kind of, slide over the seam as the ball leaves the hand with the tip of the fingers being the last part of the hand to remain in touch with the ball before it is fully released.

However, the action is dynamic and the hand and wrist are not the only moving parts of the engine that propels the ball. Their is the arm and the body which too are moving and have a momentum and direction of force imparted of their own. Hence the need to ensure that the arm also moves in an arc which brings the ball down in a line, more or less, parallel to the line of the wicket. and continues towards the direction in which the seam is facing - slips in the case of out-swing and leg-slip in the case of inswing.

Hence while for outswing the side-on action action facilitates the body motion in the direction of the seam, for the inswing, it is difficult for you want the right arm, in this case, to come up even straighter, brushing against your right ear almost and then in the follow through fall away towards the right side of the body instead of outside the left side as for outswing. This puts tremendous strain on the body of the bowler bowling in-swing particularly if he is truly fast. Hence for inswing-a square on action puts a much less strain on the body and the player is still able to swing the delivery with practice and control.

The problem in the case of an inswing bowler with a square on action is control over direction. There is a tendency for the ball to be sprayed down the leg side for obvious reasons. But great bowlers have been known to overcome that.

For out-swing the side on action does not put any great strain by the very process of being side-on though other strains on the body of the fast bowlers remain. It must be mentioned that those who bowled both out-swing and in-swing (a rare but great combination) at real speed, put their bodies to fantastic strains.

You do not, except in the rare case of someone like Malcolm Marshall, bowl the outswing with a COMPLETELY side on action. Simply because the possibility of retaining consistently and on purpose the integrity of the seam - straight and angled towards the slips - is so very remote. THAT is why Marshall was such a phenomenon. His action is an exception that proves the rule not disprove it.

That he swung the ball away from the right hander is no reason why a youngster should waste his time trying to swing it away, with a square on action, by claiming "if Marshall could do it why not me".

Barnes bowled both types of swing, at a fair pace, by spinning the ball. Try doing it.

.... to be continued

Last edited:

social

Malcolm Marshall and Imran both spent time in Australia playing club cricket in the 80s and 90s

I knew Imran from his friendship with a good mate of mine at Sussex whilst Malcolm played with another friend at Waverley and we had many nights out together

Malcolm was outgoing and friendly with just about anyone whilst Imran was pretty much as you see him on tv (a bit aloof and self-centred) unless you were a female

However, in the right atmosphere both were extremely forthcoming with cricketing advice and their thoughts on bowling were almost identical - get close to the stumps (any movement is exaggerated from this position), head upright and still, and the secret of swinging the ball lay in wrist position.

Only Malcom made comments re side-on vs front-on and he was firmly in the belief that the being slightly front on placed less strain on the body (something that is backed up by scientific research) and was every bit as effective

IMO, I dont think that there is any one action that guarantees better results for, say, an outswinger.

In fact, all the evidence suggests that whether side-on or slightly open chested i.e. not a Colin Croft or early Imran, there are certain basics that, if adhered to, can allow the bowler to potentially move it either way

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Malcolm Marshall and Imran both spent time in Australia playing club cricket in the 80s and 90s

I knew Imran from his friendship with a good mate of mine at Sussex whilst Malcolm played with another friend at Waverley and we had many nights out together

Malcolm was outgoing and friendly with just about anyone whilst Imran was pretty much as you see him on tv (a bit aloof and self-centred) unless you were a female

However, in the right atmosphere both were extremely forthcoming with cricketing advice and their thoughts on bowling were almost identical - get close to the stumps (any movement is exaggerated from this position), head upright and still, and the secret of swinging the ball lay in wrist position.

Only Malcom made comments re side-on vs front-on and he was firmly in the belief that the being slightly front on placed less strain on the body (something that is backed up by scientific research) and was every bit as effective

IMO, I dont think that there is any one action that guarantees better results for, say, an outswinger.

In fact, all the evidence suggests that whether side-on or slightly open chested i.e. not a Colin Croft or early Imran, there are certain basics that, if adhered to, can allow the bowler to potentially move it either way
It surely defies scientific logic that the direction or orientation you move your arms affects which way the ball moves as many people in many books offer. Certainly changing from front-on to side-on or changing your action in any way will change the way your body reacts and positions itself at the moment of delivery and making changes can change the way your wrist reacts and orientation at point of delivery. The end result is that changing your action indirectly affects movement but only by forcing your wrist/fingers into different positions. They are the only parts of the body with direct action on the ball.

Front-on or side-on makes no direct impact on the ball and subsequently no difference to swing at all in and of itself, really. Same with the whole 'high action = late swing' thing; unless at the point of delivery your arm changes angle or you bowl with your arm less round-arm, it, again, defies logic to suggest it makes a difference at all.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
....continued.

GETTING SIDE ON

Both batsmen and bowlers are taught early (if coached) to be side on - the batsman in the stance and the bowler at the time of going into the delivery.

Most of us will recall the coach telling us to stand at the wicket with feet on either side of the batting crease and parallel to it (pointing to point). This automatically gives the body a reasonably sideone orientation. Keeping the shoulders also side-on takes a bit more work.

The bowlers are told to land their right foot almost parallel to the bowling crease which would turn the body sideways again. Now here is where the problems start.

It is easier for the spinners or even some medium pacers who amble in to the wicket, to turn slightly and plant the right foot parallel to the crease but its not easy at all if they are faster and running in at speed. The sudden change in the body orientation from what is essentially a front on run with feet pointing roughly down the wicket as he runs in, to suddenly plant the foot pointing approximately to midwicket is very tough indeed. You see many bowlers running in with the left shoulder leading so that even when running forward the body is kept slightly sideways during the run up.

An easier option to turn the body around, without disturbing the flow and momentum of the run up is to take a slight jump/leap in the air at the last stride, turn the body as you jump and land sideways as proscribed. Quite a few bowlers in history have managed to remain sideways using this method and many others have adopted the jump later in their careers. Imran is also one such bowler.

...to be continued

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
IMRAN KHAN ON HIS BOWLING ACTION
Excerpts from Imran’s autobiography reproduced in chronological order as they appear in different chapters in his autobiography “IMRAN” (Pelham Books 1983. You can tell the break in narrative by the successive periods ….). As can be seen he had quite a few problems with his action early on viz, being square-chested, being a slinger, no proper run up etc. I include all of it since it is a fascinating study of someone who turned into a fabulous bowler – one of the greats – and was admired later for his classic action!

First Class Debut (5th September 1969) :
my huge in-swingers brought me a harvest of easy wickets. The average club cricketer in Pakistan doesn’t know much about the forward defensive stroke, preferring to play across the line

I made my first class debut for Lahore against Sargodha. I was sixteen and a half. …. I realized my first class debut was not a reward for outstanding play, more a recognition that there were no fast bowlers around and that the top Lahore players had left…leaving a lot of vacancies. There was another eason for my selection….The Chairman of selectors was my uncle, the side was captained by my cousin … and Javed Zaman (another cousin) was also in the side. My performance hardly matched that of Majid on his debut….

For a time things got worse, I pulled a back muscle through trying to bowl fast and for a year I could’nt bowl properly…..

By the time my back injury cleared up I was seventeen-and-a-half and a totally different bowler – my stock ball was now the in-swinger and I had lost the ability to move the ball away from the bat. Without realizing it I had become more open-chested in trying to take the stain off my back. All I could do was bowl huge in-swingers that might go anywhere….

Javed Burki told me that I wouldn’t last very long as a fast bowler because of my un-natural action and I accepted that. Javed asked Billy Ibadulla – a test batsman, respected coach and player with Warwickshire – to take a look at me and I well remember Billy’s advise; ‘You’ve got a really bad action – but don’t change it’. Perhaps Billy was hinting at something that I learned later in my career- you don’t have to have a beautiful action like Dennis Lillee to be a top fast bowler. Today it amuses me when people compliment me on my bowling action. If only they could have seen what it was like a few years ago!

In the short term, my huge in-swingers brought me a harvest of easy wickets. The average club cricketer in Pakistan doesn’t know much about the forward defensive stroke, preferring to play across the line… as a result I bowled many batsmen…Although I often struggled with my line and action, I managed to click and get it right on occasions…

Selected for Pakistan’s tour to England (summer 1971) :
My action in 1971 was roughly similar to the sling-shot-style of Jeff Thomson except that I was more chest on than Thomson. There the similarity ends as I was never as fast or as devastating.

My first stint in the nets made me realize that things were going to be a little different from my preconceptions….. My first delivery missed Aftab’s Gul’s nose by a matter of inches. Unfortunately, he was batting in the adjoining net….I prepared for my second delivery on English soil. It was no trouble to the batsman, but perturbed a spectator. It hit him on the head. He beat a hasty retreat from the side of the net he’d deemed a safe place to watch us. By now it had dawned on me that something was wrong. I realize now that I was bothered by the difference between the hard grounds of Pakistan and the soft turf of Lord’s… I was sent into a net by myself to sort things out. In just a few deliveries I had brought the entire net practice to a standstill.

For a long time I couldn’t get the ball anywhere near the stumps; when I managed to do that I kept overstepping the crease. Eventually I just ambled upto the crease and more or less stopped in my tracks before I bowled.

My action in 1971 was roughly similar to the sling-shot-style of Jeff Thomson except that I was more chest on than Thomson. There the similarity ends as I was never as fast or as devastating.

Bowling to Englishmen in England - 1971
One day an umpire summed up my bowling beautifully. As I took off my sweater to start a new bowling spell, he shouted down the wicket to the batsman;”Right arm over, anywhere”

I wasn’t selected to play for the first two games of the tour as I tried to sort out my bowling. By the time I’d patched it up a little, I was ready to play against Northamptonshire and ready for another shock to the system…. I was shattered to see how comfortably they coped with my big inswingers that had proved too good for the reckless Pakistani batsmen. The English simply played forward with bat and pad closer together and smothered the swing….I refused to accept my limitations and kept pegging away.

Luckily for my analysis I retired from the match with a strained thigh muscle. By this time the my only chance of getting a wicket was by element of surprise; the batsmen didn’t know where the ball would go and sometimes they’d be astonished to find one pitching on a good length. One day an umpire summed up my bowling beautifully. As I took off my sweater to start a new bowling spell, he shouted down the wicket to the batsman;”Right arm over, anywhere”

Test Debut (Edgbaston 3rd June 1971)
the ball was swinging like a boomerang in the cloudy atmosphere and I hadn’t a clue how to control the swing

Altaf and Sarfraz were ruled out of the first test due to injuries so the selectors had to turn to me…. On the first morning of the test….. I mentioned to Majid that I was having trouble with my run up. He offered to help and took me out to the nets. Majid told me to go and organize my run up and watched as I strode out, turned and marked the start of my run. Majid looked puzzled and said, “Didn’t you count your steps when you walked back?” I told him that all I ever did was walk back a few yards, then look back at the stumps and stop there if it felt long enough. Majid gave me a very strange look… He simply muttered something like, “Just play the match and we will sort it out afterwards”

The first four deliveries were all full tosses and Cowdrey was so startled that he failed to score of either of them…… the ball was swinging like a boomerang in the cloudy atmosphere and I hadn’t a clue how to control the swing. At the other end Asif masood was bowling beautifully while I kept everyone on edge, wondering where the next delivery would land….Intikhab my captain; finally came up to me and explained that an in-swinger should start outside the off stump, not outside leg….After our little chat, my first ball of the next over landed straight into the hands of a bewildered Asif Masood – at leg slip! Soon I was put out of my misery and taken off.

…..that test match was a nightmare for me….

The turning point (Selkirk, Scotland – 30th June 1971)
I was so angry and humiliated that I vowed that I would prove them wrong; I would go back to the drawing board and sort out my bowling action

While the reputaion of our side rose, that of Imran Khan sank without a trace, I am convinced that had the tour ended after the Edgbaston Test, I would have given up serious cricket. It had suddenly dawned on me that I was a bad player…

The turning point came at Selkirk, Scotlan. Asif Iqbal and Aftab Gul sat talking about me, aware that I could hear them. The verdict was that I would be lucky to get into the second eleven of an English club side….I was so angry and humiliated that I vowed that I would prove them wrong; I would go back to the drawing board and sort out my bowling action.

….

The home truths of Selkirk earlier that summer made me obsessed with being good enough. I would never make myself available for selection until I was good enough to be in the team….. Many players in Pakistan like me have been destroyed after just one test. English County cricket was to help me in my cricket rehabilitation

....... to be continued

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
IMRAN KHAN....continued

Worcester Grammer School – 1972
I told him about my problems, he suggested that I should take a jump just before I delivered the ball – this would turn my body around and get my footwork right

The school gymnasium housed my evening cricket matches with a tennis ball, as I strove to improve my action. I had watched the great Graham McKenzie during the 1971 season and I tried to model myself on him; that was fine as long as I bowled slowly, but as soon as I tried for some extra pace, I ended up with my usual wayward action.

Try as I might I couldn’t get out of my slinging action. I was near to desperation when a chance encounter on the street gave me new hope. John Parker had joined the Worcestershire staff at the same time as me…. He was a walking, talking MCC coaching book who knew a great deal about technique.

When I told him about my problems, he suggested that I should take a jump just before I delivered the ball – this would turn my body around and get my footwork right. I already knew the importance of getting side-on, so that I could be in a position to bowl the out-swinger, rather than my predictable in-swingers.

During my sessions in the school gymnasium I tried to incorporate my run-up with the bowling action, rather than as separate entities.. One evening John Parker came down to view my new action. He looked worried and told me to think very carefully about changing my style, otherwise, I would lose what little natural assets I had. In fact, he told me that I should go back to my original action but I had decided that I would stick to my new method, incorporating the jump. I was in a great dilemma; I desperately wanted to improve on the existing model, which wasn’t good enough. I thought my original action had no potential for improvement and a radical overhaul was necessary. For the rest of the winter I practiced hard with a tennis ball, searching for rhythm, turning my step into a jump.

By April…. The action felt satisfactory to me. School cricket proved the ideal vehicle…. I simply bowled twenty overs on the trot from one end. This helped stabilize my action; I now had a measured run up, and with body movement that was a little more side on, I could bowl the ball that went away from the bat on occasions .​

..... to be continued

FRAZ

International Captain
I had been looking for such a material about Imran's initial career . Hats off to you SJS !
After a long time I read some thing with concentration and with a full mind presence on this beautiful website .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I had been looking for such a material about Imran's initial career . Hats off to you SJS !
After a long time I read some thing with concentration and with a full mind presence on this beautiful website .
Thanks mate.

social

His early action must have been horrific because he was still a javelin thrower when he came to Australia in 76/77

FRAZ

International Captain
By the way Imran was thinking in the same way as I used to when I was playing on a very very smaller level . The batsman do tend to play across the line and the only motive seems to be the "without the feet movement punch shot" and the looping sixes . You bowl straight with an intention to in-swing the ball and you get wickets . SJS ! you were right about the Pakistani new breed of batsmen where they just give away their wicket like a useless piece of fat on an otherwise juicy steak .
Our nursery of cricket is the tennis ball (wrapped in an electric tape ) . The shiny white or red tape gives it a look of an actual ball and the ball just flies in the air like a bullet and the batsmen have just a fraction of a second to make it go over the rope . The duration of the game is quite limited and batsmen have to score atleast 15-20 runs per over . You have to play across the line and with immense power and with the full use of your arms and flash like reactions . Hence our international players come out having almost the same sort of mentality .
You are successful only if you are an extremely fast bowler in the tape ball game plus you have to mix up the deliveries by varying the pace and by using tricky fingers (like Saqlain's story ).