• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's better, Lillee or Hadlee?

Who is the better bowler?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To be fair Lindwall and Spofforth were two great bowlers
And Lindwall especially is someone I've long thought gets a raw deal when many look back at great seam-bowlers. Barely gets a mention, yet IMO has as good a case as most.

You know, Sean, I presume, that Freddie S T rated Lindwall better than Lillee?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My top five fast bowlers having watched cricket since 1980......

1 Marshall
2 Hadlee
3 Ambrose
4 Mcgrath
5 Akram

Imran, Donald & Waqar just missing out
Imran and Donald both fairly undoubtedly > Wasim, McGrath and Ambrose, just quietly (IMO, obviously).

archie mac

International Coach
And Lindwall especially is someone I've long thought gets a raw deal when many look back at great seam-bowlers. Barely gets a mention, yet IMO has as good a case as most.

You know, Sean, I presume, that Freddie S T rated Lindwall better than Lillee?
Tbf, Fred rated everyone from his era higher than everyone that came after

But I have no problem people rating Lindwall higher, Bradman was another who thought there was little between them:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

But I have no problem people rating Lindwall higher, Bradman was another who thought there was little between them:)
I think we keep Spofforth aside (different times completely), Lillee and Lindwall are the greatest Australian fast bowlers ever and two of the greatest bowlers of all time. Lindwall is clearly the template on which Lillee was modeled.

Two former Indian cricketers that I have talked to at length on this (Vijay Hazare and Ramesh Divecha both felt Lillee and Lindwall were very similar. They both felt Lindwall was slightly better but wouldn't say by much since they had not seen Lillee except on TV.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep. :laugh: Including himself, of course.
Have personally never felt I could split the two of them, really. 'Tis the point I was making.

archie mac

International Coach
I think we keep Spofforth aside (different times completely), Lillee and Lindwall are the greatest Australian fast bowlers ever and two of the greatest bowlers of all time. Lindwall is clearly the template on which Lillee was modeled.

Two former Indian cricketers that I have talked to at length on this (Vijay Hazare and Ramesh Divecha both felt Lillee and Lindwall were very similar. They both felt Lindwall was slightly better but wouldn't say by much since they had not seen Lillee except on TV.
Yep. :laugh: Including himself, of course.

Have personally never felt I could split the two of them, really. 'Tis the point I was making.
We all agree??? Where is the fun in that!:-O

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ambrose was similarly unimpressive; McGrath too was unimpressive against the best opposition he faced, South Africa; and Wasim was simply not in Donald's class IMO, though I've never yet taken an in-depth look at his record.

I cannot believe any Pakistani who has seen both Imran and Wasim bowl will rate the latter the better.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ambrose was similarly unimpressive; McGrath too was unimpressive against the best opposition he faced, South Africa; and Wasim was simply not in Donald's class IMO, though I've never yet taken an in-depth look at his record.

I cannot believe any Pakistani who has seen both Imran and Wasim bowl will rate the latter the better.
Bold statements that will result in certain objections.

But regarding the second: from what I know of you, you started watching after Imran retired, is that correct? If so, how can you make that comment?

You say Imran bowling in videos maybe? That'd also be curious. Wasim Akram was probably the most destructive and freakish bowler on his day. He was freakish regularly, TBH. I do not understand how you could compare the two, disregarding the stats, by looking at their bowling and say Imran was more superior? Your very own hero Donald concedes to Wasim's superiority and gets breathless just talking about his bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bold statements that will result in certain objections.

But regarding the second: from what I know of you, you started watching after Imran retired, is that correct? If so, how can you make that comment?

You say Imran bowling in videos maybe? That'd also be curious. Wasim Akram was probably the most destructive and freakish bowler on his day. He was freakish regularly, TBH. I do not understand how you could compare the two, disregarding the stats, by looking at their bowling and say Imran was more superior? Your very own hero Donald concedes to Wasim's superiority and gets breathless just talking about his bowling.
Indeed, Donald is a modest fellow. And indeed, Wasim was capable of producing the extraordinary ball perhaps more regularly than almost any bowler (bar his companion Waqar early in his career).

I've never seen one Pakistani suggest Wasim > Imran. Those from other nations have, who mostly tend to erroneously judge more on what happened against their own teams more than the overall picture.

Nonetheless - why not test it out. Sadly, there are very few Pakistani fans on CW, less still those with historical knowledge. But it's worth a try.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Imran is a very big figure in Cricket and in Pakistani politics. He was a successful Captain and could also bat. As a complete player superior to Wasim. But only as a bowler, it is not as clear.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Imran is a very big figure in Cricket and in Pakistani politics. He was a successful Captain and could also bat. As a complete player superior to Wasim. But only as a bowler, it is not as clear.
Indeed, at least not as clear as it has been made out to be. It is being presented as if the gap between the two bowlers is beyond any comparison.