• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the quickest left armer?

JBMAC

State Captain
Interesting question, only very recently have I seen Johnson make these speeds.

Seems fair enough that Wasim would've been able to reach similar sorts of speeds in the early-mid 1990s, but we'll never know for sure. Likewise, Allan Donald (still capable of 147-148kph at 32-33 years of age) surely must have been bowling at such speeds around the same time, though obviously we'll never know beyond doubt whether Schultz was the same speed.

Remarkable thing is how rare left-armers, at least, those who bowled seam rather than fingerspin, were until recently. Apart from Davidson, to find any pre-1990s I have to look, rather than just consulting the memory-bank.

Richard, does the name Bruce Reid mean anything to you...very quick

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure of his exact speed, but yeah, Reid is one. As I say, though - he's not one who instantly springs to mind without thinking about it - I have to go "hmm, now let's have a look at some left-arm seamers" before guys like him pop to my head.

Richard Collinge is another. Fine bowler.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
During 1986 Pak-SRL series,when one of the Sri Lankan batsman tried to remain at the other end in order to avoid Imran Khan's lethal bouncers and reverse swinging toe crushing yorkers(Imran was very quick until 1988),he found that the other bowler was more quick than Imran.This other bowler was none other than Wasim Akram.Personally,I think he would've been as quick as 150 kph in his youth.
He should have let Aravinda de Silva face both of them!

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting that you mentioned Schultz in terms of speed, because the only time when i saw him vs AUS in SA in 97 he was an 80-85 mph bowler nothing scary, but definately along with Allot & O'Connor if it weren't for injuries had the ability to be a very good left-arm quick.
Schultz broke down soon after the SL tour. The heat of Colombo had it's say on Schultz

bond21

Banned
Reid was no way as fast as Johnson, he was about 130 or 135.

Lee is still bowling lively, hes not bowling 160, but apparently he was bowling 155 during the T20 against NZ.

He will only bowl flat out during ODIs, he'd be an idiot to do it during Test matches cause he would be buggered after 5 overs.

He said he and McGrath bowl about 90% during test matches, saving the extra 10% for a bouncer or yorker.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Reid was no way as fast as Johnson, he was about 130 or 135.
Judging on the footage, I feel it's 135-140 is. Since Nuwan Zoysa also went up to 140k (extreme similarities with Reid, but Reid looks bit quicker than Zoysa). The problems batsmen had with him were

1) left arm angle
2) tall bowler, judging length is difficult
3) swing back to the right hander
4) very accurate

2-4 were common to Curtly Ambrose, and bastmen looked much more hurried by his delveries compared to a bowler with similar pace, because they could not judge the length.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has to be Johnson. Just looking at this footage of Bruce Reid;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v/NHzG-LRfb-Y

How good would Johnson be if he was able to consistently bend one back into the right-handers?

Bruce Reid, such a talented bowler and such a shame to see him cut-down by an incredible string of injuries. And, more importantly, such an awesome mullet/handle-bar moustache combination.

FRAZ

International Captain
During 1986 Pak-SRL series,when one of the Sri Lankan batsman tried to remain at the other end in order to avoid Imran Khan's lethal bouncers and reverse swinging toe crushing yorkers(Imran was very quick until 1988),he found that the other bowler was more quick than Imran.This other bowler was none other than Wasim Akram.Personally,I think he would've been as quick as 150 kph in his youth.
I have seen him clocking 145 kmph in South Africa during a tri series in 1993 .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bruce Reid, such a talented bowler and such a shame to see him cut-down by an incredible string of injuries.
Absolutely. One of the saddest stories around. What made it worse was that there were others around the time or just after - McDermott, Hughes, Reiffel, Fleming, Gillespie for a time - who also fell victim, if not quite as badly as Reid, to the injury curse.

Nothing I hate more than a potentially superb career ruined by injury. Who knows how good any of the above might possibly have been had they had completely injury-free times of it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Could try this link

Reid was one of the best quicks Ive seen. He certainly wasnt the fastest but he was a nightmare to face.

Left arm, swinging it both ways (the inswinger being particularly nasty) with great height that made him difficult to get forward to.

Fantastic bowler

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I agree with quickness of Schultz.

As I heard once, you either get bowled or let him break your toe. So sad, he fell apart.