Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the quickest left armer?

Banned
    Nannes is a copper, he has absolutely no grace, he just runs in and rolls his arm over, and the speed is 150 or something stupid.

Tait = Lee as far as speed is concerned, it depends on the day, one is not always quicker than the other. Sometimes Lee is faster, sometimes Tait is faster.

Id say speedwise Lee = Tait, Johnson, Nannes

Lee and Johnson are the better bowlers though by a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Only time I saw Schultz was in SL in 1994. The wicket was very slow and low, and seamers like Matthews, McMillan were reduced to nothing. But donald and Schultz got the ball flying pass the noses of SL batsmen. In fact, Schultz looked sharper than Donald (he may have been not going at 100% due to the conditions)
    Interesting that you mentioned Schultz in terms of speed, because the only time when i saw him vs AUS in SA in 97 he was an 80-85 mph bowler nothing scary, but definately along with Allot & O'Connor if it weren't for injuries had the ability to be a very good left-arm quick.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Tait, Lee, Johnson, Nannes imo.
    Haven't seen Lee bowl in ages so I could be wrong, I know he used to be rapid, but I'd have thought that Johnson would be able to go faster than him now.

Wasn't Johnson said to be 90mph when he was like 17, but then he got a back injury or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Several, UIMM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Interesting that you mentioned Schultz in terms of speed, because the only time when i saw him vs AUS in SA in 97 he was an 80-85 mph bowler nothing scary, but definately along with Allot & O'Connor if it weren't for injuries had the ability to be a very good left-arm quick.
    Schultz was said to have been far quicker circa-1993 than circa-1997.

But he would never have been timed in either series, guns did not exist at the time. So you don't know what speed he actually was.

Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Interesting question, only very recently have I seen Johnson make these speeds.

Seems fair enough that Wasim would've been able to reach similar sorts of speeds in the early-mid 1990s, but we'll never know for sure. Likewise, Allan Donald (still capable of 147-148kph at 32-33 years of age) surely must have been bowling at such speeds around the same time, though obviously we'll never know beyond doubt whether Schultz was the same speed.

Remarkable thing is how rare left-armers, at least, those who bowled seam rather than fingerspin, were until recently. Apart from Davidson, to find any pre-1990s I have to look, rather than just consulting the memory-bank.

Richard, does the name Bruce Reid mean anything to you...very quick
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Not sure of his exact speed, but yeah, Reid is one. As I say, though - he's not one who instantly springs to mind without thinking about it - I have to go "hmm, now let's have a look at some left-arm seamers" before guys like him pop to my head.

Richard Collinge is another. Fine bowler.

Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    During 1986 Pak-SRL series,when one of the Sri Lankan batsman tried to remain at the other end in order to avoid Imran Khan's lethal bouncers and reverse swinging toe crushing yorkers(Imran was very quick until 1988),he found that the other bowler was more quick than Imran.This other bowler was none other than Wasim Akram.Personally,I think he would've been as quick as 150 kph in his youth.
    He should have let Aravinda de Silva face both of them!
    Supporting players: Dinesh Chandimal, Roshen Silva, Kusal Janith, Nuwan Pradeep, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dhananjaya, Dhananjaya de Silva

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Schultz broke down soon after the SL tour. The heat of Colombo had it's say on Schultz

Tim
    I recall for a season or two Geoff Allott hitting the mid 140's.

Banned
    Reid was no way as fast as Johnson, he was about 130 or 135.

Lee is still bowling lively, hes not bowling 160, but apparently he was bowling 155 during the T20 against NZ.

He will only bowl flat out during ODIs, he'd be an idiot to do it during Test matches cause he would be buggered after 5 overs.

He said he and McGrath bowl about 90% during test matches, saving the extra 10% for a bouncer or yorker.

Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    Reid was no way as fast as Johnson, he was about 130 or 135.
    Judging on the footage, I feel it's 135-140 is. Since Nuwan Zoysa also went up to 140k (extreme similarities with Reid, but Reid looks bit quicker than Zoysa). The problems batsmen had with him were

1) left arm angle
    2) tall bowler, judging length is difficult
    3) swing back to the right hander
    4) very accurate

2-4 were common to Curtly Ambrose, and bastmen looked much more hurried by his delveries compared to a bowler with similar pace, because they could not judge the length.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Has to be Johnson. Just looking at this footage of Bruce Reid;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v/NHzG-LRfb-Y

How good would Johnson be if he was able to consistently bend one back into the right-handers?

Bruce Reid, such a talented bowler and such a shame to see him cut-down by an incredible string of injuries. And, more importantly, such an awesome mullet/handle-bar moustache combination.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    During 1986 Pak-SRL series,when one of the Sri Lankan batsman tried to remain at the other end in order to avoid Imran Khan's lethal bouncers and reverse swinging toe crushing yorkers(Imran was very quick until 1988),he found that the other bowler was more quick than Imran.This other bowler was none other than Wasim Akram.Personally,I think he would've been as quick as 150 kph in his youth.
    I have seen him clocking 145 kmph in South Africa during a tri series in 1993 .
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

Nannes is definitely quicker than Denton.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information