Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Your top 10 TEST batsmen of all-time

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    The main aim of a batsman is to score runs, what better way to judge how effective he was than by looking at his statistics? The way a batsmen looked should never influence people's opinions on how good he was at doing his job, IMO.

Ok then my top 10 is..

Bradman 99.94
    Hussey 86.18
    Pollock 60.97
    Headley 60.83
    Sutcliffe 60.73
    Ponting 59.42
    Paynter 59.23
    Barrington 58.67
    Weekes 58.61
    Hammond 58.45

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Ok then by top 10 is..

Bradman 99.94
    Hussey 86.18
    Pollock 60.97
    Headley 60.83
    Sutcliffe 60.73
    Ponting 59.42
    Paynter 59.23
    Barrington 58.67
    Weekes 58.61
    Hammond 58.45

No, because there are other factors to consider. For example, I don't feel that Hussey, Pollock, Headley and Paynter have played enough Tests. Also, I feel that Ponting's average has been inflated due to the conditions he has played in. There are other batsmen who are superior to him, who average just slightly less, but have done so in a harder period.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Ok then my top 10 is..

Bradman 99.94
    Hussey 86.18
    Pollock 60.97
    Headley 60.83
    Sutcliffe 60.73
    Ponting 59.42
    Paynter 59.23
    Barrington 58.67
    Weekes 58.61
    Hammond 58.45

I would have thought a purely averages based top ten would have been further off than that tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Bunny View Post
    I would have thought a purely averages based top ten would have been further off than that tbh.
    Minimum of 20 innings.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    The main aim of a batsman is to score runs, what better way to judge how effective he was than by looking at his statistics? The way a batsmen looked should never influence people's opinions on how good he was at doing his job, IMO.
    You're only saying this as you haven't seen enough cricket! Lalalalala! I'm now physically sticking my tongue out at you in a non-threatening way.

Ouch... I just bit it. Shouldn't have been eating pizza and sticking the tongue out in a non-threatening way at the same time to be honest. Only got myself to blame for that mistake.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    cricket is not played between computers or robots.

It is between people and the very reason we are people is because we tend to be swayed by emotions and that applies to the fans as well as to the players. People can claim to be not affected by emotions but that is almost invariably just a lie. Any bowler who says it never affects him whether it is a Gilchrist who scores a 50 off him or whether it is Kallis is probably juz lying. I know it affects me when a batsman makes me look like an idiot at the level I play in, can't imagine how it could be different for others. And just take a look at how many ex players and pundits talk about destroying a bowlers' confidence and all that. If the game was just about scoring runs (no matter how) and taking wickets... it won't be any better than playing EA sports cricket.....
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    cricket is not played between computers or robots.

It is between people and the very reason we are people is because we tend to be swayed by emotions and that applies to the fans as well as to the players. People can claim to be not affected by emotions but that is almost invariably just a lie. Any bowler who says it never affects him whether it is a Gilchrist who scores a 50 off him or whether it is Kallis is probably juz lying. I know it affects me when a batsman makes me look like an idiot at the level I play in, can't imagine how it could be different for others. And just take a look at how many ex players and pundits talk about destroying a bowlers' confidence and all that. If the game was just about scoring runs (no matter how) and taking wickets... it won't be any better than playing EA sports cricket.....
    In the end though, the most basic thing in cricket is scoring runs and taking wickets. That's what counts. People won't remember a batsmen who looked sublime but failed to average 20 in Test cricket, but they'll remember somebody who averaged 60+, even if he was terrible to watch.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    In the end though, the most basic thing in cricket is scoring runs and taking wickets. That's what counts. People won't remember a batsmen who looked sublime but failed to average 20 in Test cricket, but they'll remember somebody who averaged 60+, even if he was terrible to watch.
    yeah, but the guys we are talking about aren't ones who averaged 20 with the bat and 60 with the ball......

Banned
    DWTA. As an example, I remember loving watching Dipak Patel bat and remember his style well despite his record being pretty ordinary. I remember the stylish players regardless of how poor their stats were
    Last edited by Fiery; 28-11-2007 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    DWTA. As an example, I remember loving watching Dipak Patel bat and remember his style well despite his record being pretty ordinary. I remember the stylish players regardless of how poor their stats were
    I was referring to their legacies though, as those that score more heavily will generally be remember more than those who aren't as good, even if they look better.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    yeah, but the guys we are talking about aren't ones who averaged 20 with the bat and 60 with the ball......
    No, they aren't. The principle still applies IMO, and so does the old saying "It's what you score, not how you score them"

Banned
    I was referring to their legacies though, as those that score more heavily will generally be remember more than those who aren't as good, even if they look better.
    True but that's mainly because their numbers are forever in the record books. I know what you are trying to say but people also remember how bad people were, e.g, Chatfield's batting

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    In 50 years time, I wonder if people will talk about Viv Richards more than Jacques Kallis?

Kallis currently averages 58, Richards ended at 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    In 50 years time, I wonder if people will talk about Viv Richards more than Jacques Kallis?

They won't talk about Richard's legacy as a run-scorer, they'll talk about how dominant he was.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post

As long as people are still reading books then Richards will still be talked about.

I also have no problem with May, by all accounts a great batsman
    You know it makes sense.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information