• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

European Union Test Team

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Knowing the few Irish lads I do, I doubt they'd be bigoted enough to revolt the idea.

Mostly, English-Irish hate is a thing of the past. There's no reason the two can't work together on cricket.
What's hate got to do with sporting rivalry? Trust me, there is nothing that gladdens a Celtic heart more than sticking one up the English.

The only reason guys like Joyce & O'Brien are declaring for England is so they've got a chance of playing at the highest level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And equally, there's nothing that gladdens the Yorkshire heart more than sticking one up the Lancastrians.

Does that mean they should not be asked to come together to reprisent England?

The only argument that England and Ireland should not play cricket together is one of national political boundaries, one that's easily blasted to bits by the West Indies example. There is, then, no good reason why the British Isles should not play cricket as one.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Knowing the few Irish lads I do, I doubt they'd be bigoted enough to revolt the idea.

Mostly, English-Irish hate is a thing of the past. There's no reason the two can't work together on cricket.
I'm sorry, you lost me there. That's absurd.

Would as many English people want to take up cricket if they knew they would only be able to play test cricket for Australia? Yorkies and (Lancies?) do come together to play cricket for England, but a better analogy would be to ask Yorkshire people to play for Lancashire. Except throw in 1,000 years of brutal imperial misrule into the mix.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
The only argument that England and Ireland should not play cricket together is one of national political boundaries, one that's easily blasted to bits by the West Indies example. There is, then, no good reason why the British Isles should not play cricket as one.
Jamaica and Antigua (for example) are young countries with homogeneous populations, whose united cricket team was created for them by their foreign masters. A Great Britain team would come with the baggage of the long history we have together and our different cultures.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm sorry, you lost me there. That's absurd.

Would as many English people want to take up cricket if they knew they would only be able to play test cricket for Australia? Yorkies and (Lancies?) do come together to play cricket for England, but a better analogy would be to ask Yorkshire people to play for Lancashire. Except throw in 1,000 years of brutal imperial misrule into the mix.
Why should 1,000 years of brutal imperial misrule come into anything? The past is past - as I've said 1,000,000,000,000 times in the South Africa quotas thread, bad things in the past are best put behind us, and the best way to do this is for the English and Irish to work together, as equals, in as many things as possible. Same in South Africa with "previously disadvantaged" and non. Causing more injustices to the current generation won't undo any of the wrongs of the past. There's no way to do that, sadly.

Of course Yorks wouldn't want to play for Lancs, or English for Australia. But there's no reason at all why Yorks and Lancs can't work together to reprisent England. There'd be no reason why English and Australians couldn't work together to reprisent Anglo-Australia, and if it made any geographical sense I'm sure there'd be times when they would. As things stand, however, such an idea makes perhaps less sense than anything else, as England and Australia are as far apart as anything on this Earth.

But we're not asking Irishmen to play for England; we're asking them to play with Englishmen for the British Isles. And some people - inexplicably - seem to revolt this idea. But there's no good reason at all to do so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jamaica and Antigua (for example) are young countries with homogeneous populations, whose united cricket team was created for them by their foreign masters. A Great Britain team would come with the baggage of the long history we have together and our different cultures.
Compared to India, the British Isles are puny in terms of multiculturalism. But Indians have no problem working together for India. Therefore there's no reason English, Scots, Welsh and Irish couldn't do so as well.

And as I say above - I don't see why historical baggage plays any part in any decision now, really.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Why should 1,000 years of brutal imperial misrule come into anything?
It shouldn't, but it does. Can't do much to change it in the short term.

But we're not asking Irishmen to play for England; we're asking them to play with Englishmen for the British Isles. And some people - inexplicably - seem to revolt this idea. But there's no good reason at all to do so.
Ireland don't want to be part of Britain. They got independence in 1922 and left the commonwealth in 1948. Why would they want to join a cricket team with a country they haven't been part of for 60 years?

Rugby Union has the British and Irish Lions, however that is a historical hangover from the days of pre independence Ireland (and Ireland have their own Test playing nation anyway). The Rugby League British and Irish team will be dismantled by the end of the year. Why should cricket be hauled backward to satisfy some bizzare nationalistic notion of the people of the British Isles marching forward in unity?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
And equally, there's nothing that gladdens the Yorkshire heart more than sticking one up the Lancastrians.

The difference there is they're the same nationality. English and Irish aren't.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

So the whole "not actually wanting to play together" counts for nothing?

& the case of the Windies is hardly analogous; when the Caribbean nations came together as a test entity I'm pretty sure all of the Windies constituent parts were part of the British Empire. They continue to play together now because (aside for reasons of tradition) they're stronger together than alone.

What I don't get is why it bothers you so much that Ireland (& Scotland) want to go it alone in cricket? They do in football and Rugby union. Unless, of course, you're just arguing the toss for the sake of it...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So the whole "not actually wanting to play together" counts for nothing?
If they didn't want to so badly no Scot or Irishman would ever have turned-out for England since 1997. The fact that they have suggests it's not really a great problem.
& the case of the Windies is hardly analogous; when the Caribbean nations came together as a test entity I'm pretty sure all of the Windies constituent parts were part of the British Empire.
Really, what does it matter why they came together? As long as they play together, the argument that Ireland and the UK have different political boundaries so must have different cricketing ones is worthless.
They continue to play together now because (aside for reasons of tradition) they're stronger together than alone.
As are England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.
What I don't get is why it bothers you so much that Ireland (& Scotland) want to go it alone in cricket? They do in football and Rugby union. Unless, of course, you're just arguing the toss for the sake of it...
Because in football and rugby union it's always been done that way; in cricket it's always been done as The British Isles. I feel that cricket accross the Isles would work best if there was one national team.

It also, frankly, bugs the heck out of me that I$C$C can pretend they're expanding when they're doing nothing of the sort.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It shouldn't, but it does. Can't do much to change it in the short term.
Why does it? Even now I'm assured by the relatively few Irish lads I know that hate of the English is something mostly confined to older generations and generally thought of to be an obselete attitude.
Ireland don't want to be part of Britain. They got independence in 1922 and left the commonwealth in 1948. Why would they want to join a cricket team with a country they haven't been part of for 60 years?

Rugby Union has the British and Irish Lions, however that is a historical hangover from the days of pre independence Ireland (and Ireland have their own Test playing nation anyway). The Rugby League British and Irish team will be dismantled by the end of the year. Why should cricket be hauled backward to satisfy some bizzare nationalistic notion of the people of the British Isles marching forward in unity?
So the British Isles marching forward in unity is a "bizarre nationalistic notion"?

Sorry, not to me it's not. To me, we are stronger united than divided, simple as.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If they didn't want to so badly no Scot or Irishman would ever have turned-out for England since 1997. The fact that they have suggests it's not really a great problem.
Think I've already addressed this:

The only reason guys like Joyce & O'Brien are declaring for England is so they've got a chance of playing at the highest level.
Really, what does it matter why they came together? As long as they play together, the argument that Ireland and the UK have different political boundaries so must have different cricketing ones is worthless.
It's more to do with sporting loyalty than political boundaries. "Ireland" as a political entity doesn't exist. It's a sporting construct in the same way as the West Indies is. "Ireland" also put out a united team in union. They play together because they want to, but if they wanted to play as Eire & Northern Ireland that would be fine too.

As are England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.
Hardly. As stedly points out:

There's been a grand total of 10 Irish/Scots to play Test cricket.

There's been more South Africans to play for England than Scots or Irish. Does this make the England team a commonwealth entity?
Because in football and rugby union it's always been done that way; in cricket it's always been done as The British Isles. I feel that cricket accross the Isles would work best if there was one national team.
Well, no, it hasn't. Great Britain as a team used to compete in the Olympic football competition (won 3 gold medals) and the British & Irish Lions still tour every 4 years. Despite these supranational teams, the constituent parts of Great Britain/The British Isles still desire to have their own national teams and play against each other. Why should cricket be the exception?

It also, frankly, bugs the heck out of me that I$C$C can pretend they're expanding when they're doing nothing of the sort.
That's crap. Do you really think Ireland & Scotland never conceived of international recognition until the ICC flashed its garter belt? Wales have also had ambitions in this area at some point or else why would they have competed in the qualifying tournament for the 1975 world cup?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think I've already addressed this:
And I think not. As I say - the fact that they have played for England shows that they really don't mind. If they did, nothing would make them do so.
It's more to do with sporting loyalty than political boundaries. "Ireland" as a political entity doesn't exist. It's a sporting construct in the same way as the West Indies is. "Ireland" also put out a united team in union. They play together because they want to, but if they wanted to play as Eire & Northern Ireland that would be fine too.
And it'd also be fine if they wanted to play as part of the British Isles.
Hardly. As stedly points out:
So? Cricket in Ireland and Scotland at the current time has some additional strength (admittedly more due to imports than anything else, but still, there is an amount of increased interest) than it has in the past, and while it'd be utterly foolhardy to think that this would ever amount to international-standard sides, it could help hugely in developing a better "England" team.
Well, no, it hasn't. Great Britain as a team used to compete in the Olympic football competition (won 3 gold medals) and the British & Irish Lions still tour every 4 years. Despite these supranational teams, the constituent parts of Great Britain/The British Isles still desire to have their own national teams and play against each other. Why should cricket be the exception?
There's no reason England and Ireland shouldn't play each other internally if they fancy; England and "Wales" played a few games a few years ago as you remember. But Wales remain, even in official terms, part of the cricket entity most commonly known as "England". It'd be best for everyone concerned if Ireland and Scotland did the same. If time could be found, obviously an internal tri-series might be good fun.
That's crap. Do you really think Ireland & Scotland never conceived of international recognition until the ICC flashed its garter belt?
When did I say that? I said I$C$C can pretend they're expanding cricket by pretending Ireland and Scotland are "new" places, when they're nothing of the sort, the way Afghanistan or China (for instance) would be. And this annoys me; had The British Isles decided in 1997 to form one, rather than three, Cricket Boards, that'd have been 2 teams less (or 2 even worse ones) at WC2007 and I$C$C would have had less excuse to continue this "we're expanding cricket" nonsense.
Wales have also had ambitions in this area at some point or else why would they have competed in the qualifying tournament for the 1975 world cup?
I know they did (this was before they became officially - and correctly - recognised as part of "England"). Let's hope we don't get Glamorgan breaking away and trying to form their own Test team any time again, though.

dro87

U19 12th Man
:laugh: I had no idea Joe Scuderi was still playing. Remember him breaking through as the "next big thing" in Australian cricket in the late 80s/early 90s with Qld and SA practically falling over themselves to sign him up, but he never became the player it was hoped he would.

Yep i can confirm he's still captain/coach of italy and coaches even the under 23's. Yes when he was young he was a really hot prospect. Still he had a very respectable first class record, and i reckon still would make it in the European Test XI. Just check the European Championships avereges in the past few years.

dro87

U19 12th Man
Aren't Antonio Palladino and Mark Pettini of Essex qualified to play for Italy?
Probably they both could having italian heritage. But to play they need to spend 150 days in Italy and in that time help the development of cricket in Italy. The problem is that they would never accept playing for Italy, they're still young and good batsman, playing even one innings for Italy (for very very little money) would make it nearly impossible to ever play for england.

sideshowtim

Banned
Probably they both could having italian heritage. But to play they need to spend 150 days in Italy and in that time help the development of cricket in Italy. The problem is that they would never accept playing for Italy, they're still young and good batsman, playing even one innings for Italy (for very very little money) would make it nearly impossible to ever play for england.
The point is that if he can qualify for Italy he could qualify for the EU team.

Which I personally think is a wonderful idea.

stumpski

International Captain
Michael Di Venuto does of course, and I think his brother played - or tried to play - for Italy in the ICC Trophy a few years back?