• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name your countries all star XI

bond21

Banned
Ok just a few rules to keep this thread argument free.

I dont want anyone saying "ohh so and so player is not as good as so and so"

These are people's personal choices, everyone has their own opinion.

My team

Australia All Star XI

Taylor (c)
Hayden
Bradman
Ponting
Border (vc)
Miller
Gilchrist (wk)
Warne
Lindwall
Lillee
McGrath

A lot of them are obvious choices but I will explain my reasoning on Hayden, Gilchrist and Taylor.

Allan Donald said that Mark Taylor was the best opening batsman he ever bowled to. Taylor was also IMO the best captain we've ever had. He equalled Don Bradman's highest score then retired(his innings) out of respect.

It was between Gilchrist and Healy, I chose Gilchrist because he is good enough with the gloves and he gives them a batting option.

And Hayden, when he was playing around 2002-2003 he was being compared to Bradman by Steve Waugh, I doubt anyone wanted to bowl to him, as he was scoring centuries almost at will.

as for Bradman, I didn't give him captain because Taylor I think is a better choice. Bradman is in for obvious reasons, I mean he averaged 99.94 in Test cricket, in comparison, the second highest average ever is only around 60-62 or there abouts.

Some may recall the bodyline series where Jardine told his bowlers to bowl at everyone;s body?

They actually contained Bradman that series and guess what his average for the series was? 56.57

The bowling attack for this team is great. Lillee would take the new ball, McGrath would open with him, then they would bowl their spell....and then Lindwall and Miller come on in a double change. There's also a decent spin option in Shane Warne.

Post your teams

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pretty good team - don't expect anyone to follow your suggested rule regarding Matthew Hayden - he's got a hardcore group of haters here. ;)

No Greg Chappell is interesting, although Ponting and Border are certainly very solid.

My team (posted it previously but anyway)
Ponsford
Trumper
Bradman
Chappell
Harvey
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
Lindwall
Lillee
McGrath
Davidson (12th man).

All Time Pakistan XI:

Saeed Anwar
Hanif Muhammad
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Muhammad Yousuf
Imran Khan (C)
Rashid Latif (WK)
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Waqar Younis

Here's a one for Australia:

Matthew Hayden
Vic Trumper
Don Bradman
Greg Chappel
Steve Waugh (C)
Keith Miller
Ian Healy (WK)
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

Last edited:
Another Pakistan ALL Time XI (with 5 bowlers):

Saeed Anwar
Imtiaz Ahmed (WK)
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Mohammad Yousuf
Imran Khan (C)
Wasim Akram
Fazal Mahmood/Abdul Qadir (depending on conditions)
Saqlain Mushtaq
Waqar Younis

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australian All Star Side
1 Matthew Hayden
2 David Boon
3 Sir Donald Bradman
4 Mark Waugh
5 Ricky Ponting
6 Doug Walters
7 Adam Gilchrist
8 Richie Benaud
9 Shane Warne
10 Dennis Lillie
11 Craig McDermott

Australian All Star Side
1 Matthew Hayden
2 David Boon
3 Sir Donald Bradman
4 Mark Waugh
5 Ricky Ponting
6 Doug Walters
7 Adam Gilchrist
8 Richie Benaud
9 Shane Warne
10 Dennis Lillie
11 Craig McDermott
You have so many players which would never make the ALL Time XIs of other people.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You have so many players which would never make the ALL Time XIs of other people.
Oh I'm well aware of that, as the first post states pick your own all star side. I could easily pick Chappell, Miller, SWaugh, McGrath and co. but went for the players I would most enjoy watching even if it means that I only have 2 fast bowlers.

Bradman, Benaud, Lillie and Walters are the 4 players that I would have most liked to have watched play cricket, so they have to make my team.

My favourite players in the early 90s were David Boon and McDermott and Mark Waugh was and probably still is my favourite cricketer of all time.

Of the current crop this century I have loved watching Hayden, Ponting, Gilchrist and Warney so that is how I came up with my team.

Majin

International Debutant
I ended up going for:

1.) Sunil Gavaskar
2.) Vijay Merchant
3.) Rahul Dravid
4.) Sachin Tendulkar
5.) Mohammed Azharuddin (c)
6.) Gundappa Viswanath/Mohinder Amarnath/Dilip Vengsarkar
7.) Kapil Dev
8.) Syed Kirmani
9.) Anil Kumble
10.) Javagal Srinath
11.) Bhagwat Chandrasekhar

Gavaskar, Dravid, Tendy and Dev speak for themselves. Azharuddin shaded it over Ganguly as captain, but that probably had something to do with me seeing a lot of Ganguly in comparisson. Merchant didn't play enough tests really but his first class record is outstanding and I'd definitely back someone like that. 6th batting position was the hardest for me to choose, I feel all three I named would deserve a place in the side but it's too hard for me to pick. Probably go with...Viswanath, but yeah. Any of the three works.

Kirmani is India's best 'keeper, and I'm very much in the school of believing a 'keepers priority should be Keeping first, batting second. Srinath to open the bowling with Kapil Dev as probably our best new ball pair, and then Kumble and Chandra as our main spinners. Kumble just has the record, he did it for so long so consistently that I'd find it hard to leave him out, and of the big 4 Indian spinners, Chandra was always my favourite.

Alternatively I might remove the 6th batsmen and shove the order up one and play another bowler, which would most likely be Prasanna, but for now I'll go with 4 bowlers.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If we're doing the team we'd most like to go see play my team would be:

Trumper
Hayden
Bradman
Chappell
M. Waugh
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
Lindwall
Lillee
Thomson

Days of Grace

International Captain
My all-star NZ team:

1. Turner
2. Sutcliffe
3. Fleming (c)
4. Crowe
5. Donnelly
6. Astle
7. Cairns
8. McCullum (wk)
9. Hadlee
10. Vettori
11. Bond

Didn't have to think too much about it, t.b.h.

Flem274*

123/5
Interesting team there Days Of Grace. My one based on non favouritism

Turner
Richardson
Suttcliffe
Crowe
Reid
Cairns
Parore/McCullum
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Cowie

Team of the players in my lifetime. (1991 onwards)

Wright
Richardson
Crowe
Fleming
Astle
Cairns
Parore/McCullum
Vettori
Nash
Bond
Doull

One for complete favouritism

Horne
Richardson
Jones
Fleming
Astle
Cairns
McCullum
Hadlee
Franklin
Bond
Chatfield

Flem274*

123/5
My all-star NZ team:

1. Turner
2. Sutcliffe
3. Fleming (c)
4. Crowe
5. Donnelly
6. Astle
7. Cairns
8. McCullum (wk)
9. Hadlee
10. Vettori
11. Bond

Didn't have to think too much about it, t.b.h.
Hmm Bert Suttcliffe opening? Interesting choice. Best to have him at 3-5 IMO

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
to put a little Non-Test flavour in this I am going to choose an allstar Kenyan XI and possibly an allstar Associate XI hust for all you RTD fans out there

Kenya XI

+Kennedy Otieno
Ravindu Shah
Steven Tikolo
Hitesh Modi
Morris Odumbe
Collins Obuya
Thomas Odoyo
Matin Suji
Aasif Karim
Joseph Angara
Rageb Ali

12th man Tanmay Mishra

Otieno and Shah are as close to a solid opening partnership as has ever got so that is a given as is the inclusion of Tikolo, Suji and Odoyo. Most of the younger stars of the current generation like Mishra, spinner Varaiya and a certain Nehemiah Odhiambo may yet break into this XI given the many years they still have ahead of then cricket-wise

Julian87

State Captain
1 Matt Hayden
2 Victor Trumper
3 Don Bradman
4 Greg Chappel
5 Mark Waugh
6 Adam Gilchrist
7 Keith Miller
8 Ritchie Benaud
9 Shane Warne
10 Ray Lindwall
11 Glenn McGrath

Matt79

Global Moderator
Argh, these threads need to happen every month or two. New members like them, and they're (to me at least) always at least casually interesting. Bitching about them does no good, and to be honest a new guy digging up a thread from a year ago with a similar heading and tacking his 2 cents on the end is no less 'annoying' than a new thread. Unless we introduce a rule that "no topic previously discussed shall be raised again", in which case we'd have one or two new threads a week, we can accept that not everyone joined in 2003, or even early 2007 and let them get on with it.