• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name your countries all star XI

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who needs stock-bowlers if your strike-bowlers can keep taking wickets in their short spells?

Let's face it - Waqar and Shoaib have done this often enough. Fazal, Imran and Wasim can surely bowl for long enough to give them some sort of break, and offer far more threat than an Iqbal Qasim would?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Who needs stock-bowlers if your strike-bowlers can keep taking wickets in their short spells?

Let's face it - Waqar and Shoaib have done this often enough. Fazal, Imran and Wasim can surely bowl for long enough to give them some sort of break, and offer far more threat than an Iqbal Qasim would?
Fazal offer far more threat on a dead pitch than Saqlain? Maybe, but somehow just don't see that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
From everyhing I know Fazal was a master on non-seaming pitches, just like Imran and all who followed him.

shortpitched713

International Captain
From everyhing I know Fazal was a master on non-seaming pitches, just like Imran and all who followed him.
Fazal Mahmood was Imran Khan of 1950s & was capable of causing threat to any batsman on any type of surface.In any conditions:

Fazal Mahmood>>>Saqlain Mushtaq
I heard he was a monster on a matting pitch. Don't know what that would imply about his abilities on a featherbed though, tbh.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway for that Associate XI I promised you earlier

A N Keverzee (Netherlands)
WTS Poterfield(Ireland)
+Kennedy Otieno(Kenya)
Steven Tikolo( Kenya)
Ryan Ten Doeschate(Netherlands)
David Hemp( Bermuda)
Morris Odumbe( Kenya)
Thomas Odoyo (Kenya)
Trent Johnston (Ireland)
Aasif Karim (Kenya)
David Langford-Smith(Ireland)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I heard he was a monster on a matting pitch. Don't know what that would imply about his abilities on a featherbed though, tbh.
I seem to recall him doing well at The Oval once, which (unless there's rain) has rarely ever been a pitch to offer much to the seamers.

Julian87

State Captain
Anyway for that Associate XI I promised you earlier

A N Keverzee (Netherlands)
WTS Poterfield(Ireland)
+Kennedy Otieno(Kenya)
Steven Tikolo( Kenya)
Ryan Ten Doeschate(Netherlands)
David Hemp( Bermuda)
Morris Odumbe( Kenya)
Thomas Odoyo (Kenya)
Trent Johnston (Ireland)
Aasif Karim (Kenya)
David Langford-Smith(Ireland)
John Davison's 2003 WC performances with both bat and ball not good enough for him to make the side as an all rounder?

Matt79

Global Moderator
If we're doing the team we'd most like to go see play my team would be:

Trumper
Hayden
Bradman
Chappell
M. Waugh
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
Lindwall
Lillee
Thomson
Actually replace one of Chappell or Waugh with Walters...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would this be a one-off game? If so I can forgive you selecting Thommo, presuming of course it was the Thommo of 74\75. If it was over a career, I'm afraid I'll never, ever forgive you for selecting Thommo over Davo.

Matt79

Global Moderator
This isn't the "best team", its the team I'd most like to sit down and watch play - my best team has Ponsford/Simpson for Hayden, McGrath for Thomsom and Harvey for Walters/M.Waugh. And yes, its the Thommo of 74/75.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know, I can read. :p Just can't fathom why anyone'd prefer watching that horrible abomination for an action Thommo had to Davo's poetry-in-motion really.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Being different didn't make it an abomination. And look down on me if you want, but for visceral excitement I'd prefer to watch perhaps the fastest bowler ever terrorising batsmen than even the very best medium paced swing merchant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mate, I'm kidding. :) I hoped the use of ridiculously strong terms like "abomination" and "I'll never, ever forgive you" would demonstrate that. Clearly not. :(