• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Donna Symmonds

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I now mute my TV for five overs whilst Donna is on air. For I can’t stand as Heath said, the uneasy apprehension after Donna poses a question to her fellow commentators, who for some reason don’t answer her question’s and then apparently refuse to engage in a discourse with her. Although, credit to David Lloyd, he seemed to be at least pleasant towards her.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, and Goodch calling Brett Lee 'mate' all the way through an interview... that sounded weird.

Loved Slats impression of Freddie yesterday though, that was funny. :laugh:
Slater is much better than I thought he would be. I love his ribbing of Nasser. Nasser , of course, is an absolute revelation from the doughty stern and dry guy he looked as England captain. He has such a spontaneous and genuine smile. He somes across as a real nice guy.

Zimdan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Im not being bias but Pommie Mbangwa is probably the commentator with the most passion and personality for the game from what i have seen so far.

Possibly Harsha bhogle aswell.

This Donna girl isnt so bad, although her voice doesnt quite fit in with what your probably all used to when watching cricket, so thats probably why your all against her.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I like Nasser as well, definitely one of the better ones.
I find Nasser coming out with some terrific insights that one doesnt get from those considerd far better cricketers and have been around this profession (commentary) for ages.

pup11

International Coach
I think Donna Symonds has no business of being inside the commentary-box because she is just a non-stop chatter box that goes on... and on... and on... , she is probably there to attract a target-crowd so its better we just ignore her(and mute our TV's when she is on air).
I agree Slats is real fun to listen to, he is always so vibrant and full of life cracking those odd jokes here and there, the same can be said about bumble!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I find Nasser coming out with some terrific insights that one doesnt get from those considerd far better cricketers and have been around this profession (commentary) for ages.
Yeah, I like him too. I generally have a bias towards the "analytical" style of commentator ahead of the cheerleader types though. Guys like Benaud, Hussein, Chappell, Boycott etc interest me a lot more than the Bill Lawry and Ian Botham types. I don't really get a lot out of commentators screaming and carrying on and trying to be exciting. Obviously one can see why they do it, though.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I like Chappell because he is up-front, analytical, and has a great, dry sense of humour. His anecdotes are great too. A real double-hard bast**d, as a mate of mine would say.

e.g. the bowler bowls a bouncer, and chappell recalls a story when a bowler said to him, 'if you want to drive mate, hire a bloody car!'

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I like Chappell because he is up-front, analytical, and has a great, dry sense of humour. His anecdotes are great too. A real double-hard bast**d, as a mate of mine would say.

e.g. the bowler bowls a bouncer, and chappell recalls a story when a bowler said to him, 'if you want to drive mate, hire a bloody car!'
The problem with Chappelli is that he mentions the same joke/insight too many times per stint.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I seem to remember Donna working for TMS a few years ago, and I liked her.. But her performance during the T20 has been horrible.. Kass Naidoo-esque.. I guess you've got to keep the quotas up, just don't let her ruin any real cricket matches..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I was amazed to find that she was one of those chosen by Wisden to nominate the cricketer of the century.

Just look at the company she has in the list of eleven West Indians who were given the job.

West Indies (11)

• Gerry Alexander
  • Tony Becca
  • Sir Carlisle Burton
  • Tony Cozier
  • Esmond Kentish
  • Clive Lloyd
  • Reds Pereira
  • Allan Rae
  • Donna Symmonds
  • Sir Clyde Walcott
  • Sir Everton Weekes

There must be something about her......

steds

Hall of Fame Member
edit: Just read the article, it's rubbish. There's plenty of quality pundits and commentators out there who haven't played test cricket, and plenty of former players who are awful commentators. She's no good, but it's not because she hasn't played at the highest level.
AWTA. Weakest excuse. Screams out "I'm ***ist but don't want to admit it to everyone on the internet."

She is dire, though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never had much time for her. Heard her a lot doing domestic cricket over the years, particularly in the Stanford Twenty20 last year. But she really annoys me. That said, she's better than Colin Croft and Viv Richards, both of whom I detest as commentators. I detest Croft as a columnist too.

archie mac

International Coach
Never had much time for her. Heard her a lot doing domestic cricket over the years, particularly in the Stanford Twenty20 last year. But she really annoys me. That said, she's better than Colin Croft and Viv Richards, both of whom I detest as commentators. I detest Croft as a columnist too.
Croft was mean with the ball, but at least the batsman could see him coming, with the pen he often comes from behind, like leaving MM out of his all time WIs squad:@

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Croft was mean with the ball, but at least the batsman could see him coming, with the pen he often comes from behind, like leaving MM out of his all time WIs squad:@
He wrote an article about Lara and criticized him on the basis of West Indies losing so often throughout most of his career. It was utter rubbish and not even well-written, content aside. He's an old man with delusions of grandeur.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was amazed to find that she was one of those chosen by Wisden to nominate the cricketer of the century.

Just look at the company she has in the list of eleven West Indians who were given the job.

West Indies (11)

• Gerry Alexander
  • Tony Becca
  • Sir Carlisle Burton
  • Tony Cozier
  • Esmond Kentish
  • Clive Lloyd
  • Reds Pereira
  • Allan Rae
  • Donna Symmonds
  • Sir Clyde Walcott
  • Sir Everton Weekes

There must be something about her......
Skill with the mic and skill at interpreting and reading the game are two completely different things, really.

Alec Stewart is a classic example there.