• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exclusive: Sachin Tendulkar To Quit Oneday Internationals

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sad, very sad. :(

Why don't they just allow him to pick and choose his ODIs so he gets adequate rest? He's earned the right to do so.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
I think its good news. Now he can concentrate on Tests and serve India better for the next 2-3 years.
Battingwise we do have decent alternatives available as Uthappa showed today.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Would be very very sad. It would be poetic if he finishes against Pakistan, considering he debuted against them.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Atlast, good news for many upcoming batsman in India. They can atlast think that there is a place where they can grab in..

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
While it is hard to call this news as a good news, I think it is a good move by him for his sake as well as for Indian test team, this is the only way he can play cricket for some more time.

I have been very harsh on his performances in the past but I will miss his presence in the ODI team and infact it is very hard to even read stuff about his retirement. He is the first great cricketer of my generation and It will be very hard to not see him on a cricket field.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
If anything, I would have thought he would have quit test matches first where his performance has been under par for some time......at least he's been playing well in ODi cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He has been playing well in ODIs, so maybe he just wants to go out after a string of good performances.

But it will be awesome if it means he can concentrate on his Test game and hopefully bring that up for the rest of his career. He won't be the Sachin of 1998 but maybe if he focuses on it exclusively, he can still be very good. Especially considering that, IMO, he can still play cricket judging from his performances in this series.

R_D

International Debutant
Mixed reactions from me..... Sad because i don't want to see Sachin retire from ODI team but it'll good for Indian ODI team thou, Sachin's not likely to be around to play the next world cup. I hope Ganguly follows the same route and decides to concentrate on Test matches as well. Need few more younger legs in the ODI team.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Would have liked to see him play at least one or two more years, but if he feels theres no reason left for him to play in that format then its hard for me to argue with him. I hope hes had a long think about though, because its hard for a player who is still of such obviously high caliber to not feel the itch to come back, and it will be in the best interests of the team to look forward when he retires. That being said, there might be a case to drop him from Tests at that point as well. Obviously not the most graceful way to go, but I don't see much use for him in the Indian setup unless hes playing ODIs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It was a sudden article that came out right after the end of the 6th ODI. Not sure what to make of it, still unsubstantiated.

I was hoping Sachin would come to Australia and play the tri-series with Aus and SL here. Will definitely be sad to see the genius go. He's given me plenty of memories, particularly in the last 2 weeks with his absolutely scintilating knocks.

pup11

International Coach
Look guys this could just be a rumour, but even if he decides to quit Odi cricket then i won't be suprised. After playing 18 years of non-stop cricket his body might not be good enough to go through any further pressure and stress of playing Odi cricket.
There is hardly any record in Odi cricket that he doesn't hold and i guess there isn't much more for him to achieve in this format of the game.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Tendulkar does decide that the time is right to quit ODI cricket, then it will be very sad. I would call him the best ODI batsman ever (Viv, Bevan not far behind) and his incredible record speaks for itself. However, if he was to give up the shorter version of the game I hope that it would allow him to improve his recent form in Test cricket which has been very poor. Would also be a good opportunity for several younger players in ODI cricket.