• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid - Defensive Captain

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
The Third Test between England and India Explains it.

The England vs India First ODI confirms it

cricketboy29

International Regular
Going out fighting, wouldnt accomplish anything. Atleast this way, they're batting out 50 overs. Keeping England in the field, in the cold, and testing out the batting resolve of thier lower order. Valuable practice I'd say.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A) The fact that you bemoan someone for being defensive at 35/4 shows you have no idea about cricket.
B) The fact that you think Dravid should have taken a chance that might have cost the entire series (first one in 20+ years) shows you have no idea about cricket.
C) The fact that you forgot the 3rd Test vs. England in Mumbai where Dravid got burned trying to attack, and an earlier Test where Dravid went all out for the win on the last day (but it ended up a draw) shows you have bad memory....and have no idea about cricket.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
A) The fact that you bemoan someone from being defensive at 35/4 shows you have no idea about cricket.
B) The fact that you think Dravid should have taken a chance that might have cost the entire series (first one in 20+ years) shows you have no idea about cricket.
C) The fact that you forgot the 3rd Test vs. England in Mumbai where Dravid got burned trying to attack, and an earlier Test where Dravid went all out for the win on the last day (but it ended up a draw) shows you have bad memory....and have no idea about cricket.
Defensive captain still
:laugh: :laugh: You have to give him credit for sticking to his position!

Raghav

A) The fact that you bemoan someone from being defensive at 35/4 shows you have no idea about cricket.
A) What for you play slowly in an ODI? Its not a multi team tournament where RR matters. You are chasing 288 and playing with a SR of just 60 doesnt sounds good. They gave away the match well before. Had if it is NZ or AUS, they could have gone fighting

B) Posted a total over 600+ and still think that you will lose the test ( with such kind of batting lineup and bowling) is useless. He should have gone for kill.
C) The third reason points out that he is defensive. He cant attack. He succumbs when he tries to attack.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A) What for you play slowly in an ODI? Its not a multi team tournament where RR matters. You are chasing 288 and playing with a SR of just 60 doesnt sounds good. They gave away the match well before. Had if it is NZ or AUS, they could have gone fighting

B) Posted a total over 600+ and still think that you will lose the test ( with such kind of batting lineup and bowling) is useless. He should have gone for kill.
C) The third reason points out that he is defensive. He cant attack. He succumbs when he tries to attack.
Because you want to bat out 50 overs. You may have a point if this was the deciding ODI. At least you can go back with some positives if you manage that much.

Not if you are 65 all out.

Raghav

Because you want to bat out 50 overs. You may have a point if this was the deciding ODI. At least you can go back with some positives if you manage that much.

Not if you are 65 all out.
34 - 4 ... you are still in the game.. You should atleast try to look some positive and try for the singles. That didnt happen.

You should have fought. See the running between the wickets. Indians never looked to run hard. Chasing 288 needs hard running, which was missing.

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
The fact that you can't have a normal conversation, without downign someone, shows that you are being a bit of a **silly billy**, moderator or not, you don't have to take such an aggressive approach, chill out it's the internet.

Last edited:

Raghav

Not if you become 34-5. Any captain who thinks that at 34-4, chasing 300, the best way to handle the situation is slog out is, frankly, an idiot.
You cant just lose a wicket trying to play positively. I am not asking you to slog man..

I am asking you to play sensibly. Why you become stuck to pitch after seeing the scoreboard. Move your feet and look for singles , try to put pressure on the fielders. Take the attack by rotating the strike..

They could have used Powerplay 3 to increase the RR, which was not used properly by IND batsman

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The fact that you can't have a normal conversation, without downign someone, shows that you are being a bit of a D!ck, moderator or not, you don't have to take such an aggressive approach, chill out it's the internet.
His post was fine.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The Third Test between England and India Explains it.

The England vs India First ODI confirms it
If the 3rd test proved anything, it proved that Dravid is a defensive batsman. His captaincy during the 3rd test was fine and I am pretty sure any captain in the world today would have pretty much done the same thing i.e. would not have enforced the follow on.

As far as today's game was concerned, I thought it was no way a defensive strategy, rather attacking one. I mean deciding to chase down a score when chasing has been your weaker points cant be called a defensive strategy.

adharcric

International Coach
Was clearly aggressive. Also there was some filter avoidance, but i'm not giving any clues as to where.
What's wrong with aggression? You have definitely made aggressive posts in the past and I know I have too. As long as you don't resort to personal insults, what's the big deal?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
*SIGH*. I apologize to Raghav if my post was offensive. Regardless of whether it violated any rules, I should have phrased my objections less aggressively.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eh, mate you've got a tricky situation (on several counts) and I personally haven't got the slightest problem with anything you've said in this thread. Fusion's post says it all IMO.

To touch on just one of the tricky situations - Mods can't be expected, IMO, to refrain from calling a silly comment a silly comment and show zero aggression at all times - no-one should be expected to do that, in fact. And yes, I believe the stuff Raghav highlighted to call Dravid over-defensive is plain silly. Nor were you avoiding the filter (though the guy with the random-letters posting-ID was trying to avoid it with a word that isn't even filterered) and frankly I think Mitchell's just ****stirring. Go easy on Manan, fellaz - don't ask why, just do.