Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: "Greats" dropped after first Test

  1. #1
    International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,436

    "Greats" dropped after first Test

    I know that cricket "Greats" Don Bradman and Ian Chappell made their debut and were then subsequently dropped for the next test...who else shares this honour?
    Last edited by aussie tragic; 03-08-2007 at 02:33 AM.

  2. #2
    International Coach Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    10,119
    Zaheer Abbas, Imran Khan, Shoaib Akhtar, Saeed Anwar, Mo Yo, Mo Asif (potential great).

  3. #3
    International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,436
    Actually, it seems a little more common then I realised (wow, Imram and Zaheer, who would of thought)....

    So, as usual, I've decided to come up with a side selection:

    Australia "Greats dropped after debut" XI...

    1. Matthew Hayden (15, 5)
    2. Ian Redpath (97, 25)
    3. Don Bradman (18, 1)
    4. Ian Chappell (11, DNB)
    5. Kim Hughes (1, DNB)
    6. Dean Jones (48, 5)
    7. Richie Benaud (3,19) (DNB, 1-14)
    8. Barry Jarman + (1, 0) (1c, 1c)
    9. Clarrie Grimmett (12*, 0) (5-45, 6-37)
    10. Jeff Thomson (DNB, 19*) (0-100, 0-10)
    11. Glenn McGrath (0, DNB) (2-92, 1-50)

    Redpath, Jones & especially Grimmett seem a bit harsh.......
    Last edited by aussie tragic; 03-08-2007 at 02:51 AM.

  4. #4
    International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    4,066
    How on earth did they manage to drop Grimmet?


  5. #5
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    How on earth did they manage to drop Grimmet?
    That was the last match of the series and then it was over a year till the start of the next series in England. Probably has something to do with his tour match form in the lead up to the first two few Tests in England, I'm guessing.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  6. #6
    International 12th Man JBMAC's Avatar
    Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qld/Australia
    Posts
    1,649

    SINCE 1946 These Guys only played ONE test!

    ONE HIT AUSSIE WONDERS FROM 1946
    Some 400 aussies have played Test Cricket for their country.Here is a list with brief stats of players who have played just ONE test.Some names will surprise some as most were "household" names in Domestic Comp.Some were"robbed" and some went overseas to get just recognition.Some just drifted into Cricket oblivion.
    MATCH FIGURES
    Fred Freer - 1946 - 28runs - 20 overs - 3/74
    Ken Meulman - 1946 - did not bat - did not bowl
    Merv Harvey - 1947 - 43runs - did not bowl
    Len Johnson - 1948 -25runs -10overs -6/74
    George Thoms-1952 - 44runs-did not bowl
    John Rutherford-1956-30runs-6overs-1/15
    John Wilson-1956-did not bat-17 overs-1/64
    Keith Slater-1959-1 run-9 overs-2/101
    Des Hoare-1961-35 runs-29 overs-2/156
    Colin Guest-1963-11 runs-18 overs-0/59
    Peter Allen-1965-did not bat-24 overs-2/83
    Reg Sellers-1964-did not bat-5 overs-0/17
    Les Joslin-1968-9 runs-did not bowl
    John Duncan-1971-3 runs-14 overs-0/30
    Ken Eastwood-1971-5 runs-5 overs-1/21
    John Watkins-1973-39 runs-6 overs-0/21
    Ashley Woodcock-1974-27 runs-did not bowl
    Paul Hibbert-1977-15 runs-did not bowl
    Ian Callen-1978-26 runs-55 overs-3/83
    Mick Malone-1977-46 runs-24 overs-6/77
    Jeff Moss-1979-60 runs-did not bowl
    Simon Davis-1986-did not bat-25 overs-0/70
    Wayne Phillips-1992-22 runs-Keeper
    Phil Emery-1994-8 runs-did not bowl
    Stuart Law-1995-54 runs-3 overs-0/9
    Shaun Young-1997-4 runs-8 overs-0/13
    Paul Wilson-1998-o runs-3 overs-0/50
    Nathan Hauritz-2004-15 runs-27 overs-5/103
    Daniel Cullen-2006-did not bat-14 overs-1/54

    Figures are total match figures.Hope you find them interesting.
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

  7. #7
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,808
    The Bradman one always makes me laugh

    One of the strangest selectorial choices must have been Jack Ryder, he had just captained the Aust side in the 1928/29 series and was one of the three selectors for the 1930 tour.

    The other two left him out of the side completely; he never spoke to either again
    You know it makes sense.

  8. #8
    International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Zaheer Abbas, Imran Khan, Shoaib Akhtar, Saeed Anwar, Mo Yo, Mo Asif (potential great).
    Since you named a few, here's some more.....

    Pakistan "Greats dropped after debut" XI...

    1. Mudassar Nazar (13, 22)
    2. Saeed Anwar (0, 0)
    3. Zaheer Abbas (12, 27)
    4. Mohammad Yousif (5 ,1)
    5. Majid Khan (0, DNB) (2-55, 1-42)
    6. Mushtaq Mohammad (14, 4) (0-34, DNB)
    7. Imran Khan (5, DNB) (0-36, 0-19)
    8. Saleem Yousuf + (4, DNB) (2c, 3c)
    9. Sarfraz Nawaz (DNB, DNB) (0-78, DNB)
    10. Mushtaq Ahmed (0, 4) (0-69, 1-72)
    11. Waqar Younis (0, DNB) (4-80, 0-11)

    Sorry, but Sarfraz and Younis currently make it ahead of Shoab and Asif
    Last edited by aussie tragic; 03-08-2007 at 02:51 AM.

  9. #9
    International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,436
    Here's an England "Greats dropped after debut" XI...

    1. Cyril Washbrook (9, 8*)
    2. Dennis Amiss (17, DNB)
    3. Ted Dexter (52, DNB) (0-23, DNB)
    4. Tom Graveney (15, DNB)
    5. Nassar Hussain (13, DNB)
    6. Mike Gatting (5, 6)
    7. Les Ames + (0, DNB) (2c, 0c)
    8. John Emburey (2, DNB) (2-39, 0-1)
    9. John Snow (2*, DNB) (2-27, 2-53)
    10. Brian Staham (9, DNB) (1-47, DNB)
    11. Matthew Hoggard (12*, DNB) (0-49, DNB)

    Funny, but England seems to give most players at least 2 tests before they drop them (e.g. Stewart, Knott, Botham, Gooch, etc.), so Hussain, Gatting, Emburey and Hoggard hereby gain an elevation to greatness for this team
    Last edited by aussie tragic; 03-08-2007 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Boycott replaced by Washbrook

  10. #10
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Zaheer Abbas, Imran Khan, Shoaib Akhtar, Saeed Anwar, Mo Yo, Mo Asif (potential great).
    I didn't knew taking drugs and getting injured after every second game makes you a "great" .But on a more serious note Akthar does have charisma and he is crowd-puller but he hasn't done anything that big on-field to be classified as a great.Mohd.Asif was also caught in the dope test but still he has the potential to be a great so agree with you on that.

  11. #11
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    ONE HIT AUSSIE WONDERS FROM 1946
    Some 400 aussies have played Test Cricket for their country.Here is a list with brief stats of players who have played just ONE test.Some names will surprise some as most were "household" names in Domestic Comp.Some were"robbed" and some went overseas to get just recognition.Some just drifted into Cricket oblivion.
    MATCH FIGURES
    Fred Freer - 1946 - 28runs - 20 overs - 3/74
    Ken Meulman - 1946 - did not bat - did not bowl
    Merv Harvey - 1947 - 43runs - did not bowl
    Len Johnson - 1948 -25runs -10overs -6/74
    George Thoms-1952 - 44runs-did not bowl
    John Rutherford-1956-30runs-6overs-1/15
    John Wilson-1956-did not bat-17 overs-1/64
    Keith Slater-1959-1 run-9 overs-2/101
    Des Hoare-1961-35 runs-29 overs-2/156
    Colin Guest-1963-11 runs-18 overs-0/59
    Peter Allen-1965-did not bat-24 overs-2/83
    Reg Sellers-1964-did not bat-5 overs-0/17
    Les Joslin-1968-9 runs-did not bowl
    John Duncan-1971-3 runs-14 overs-0/30
    Ken Eastwood-1971-5 runs-5 overs-1/21
    John Watkins-1973-39 runs-6 overs-0/21
    Ashley Woodcock-1974-27 runs-did not bowl
    Paul Hibbert-1977-15 runs-did not bowl
    Ian Callen-1978-26 runs-55 overs-3/83
    Mick Malone-1977-46 runs-24 overs-6/77
    Jeff Moss-1979-60 runs-did not bowl
    Simon Davis-1986-did not bat-25 overs-0/70
    Wayne Phillips-1992-22 runs-Keeper
    Phil Emery-1994-8 runs-did not bowl
    Stuart Law-1995-54 runs-3 overs-0/9
    Shaun Young-1997-4 runs-8 overs-0/13
    Paul Wilson-1998-o runs-3 overs-0/50
    Nathan Hauritz-2004-15 runs-27 overs-5/103
    Daniel Cullen-2006-did not bat-14 overs-1/54
    Figures are total match figures.Hope you find them interesting.

    One can't be so sure about Cullen and Hauritz they might play more tests for Australia in the future since they both are still young and are developing as spinners.

  12. #12
    International Vice-Captain aussie tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,436
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    ONE HIT AUSSIE WONDERS FROM 1946

    Wayne Phillips-1992-22 runs-Keeper
    Nice list, but this thread is about "Greats" that were dropped after their first test

    ....anyway, the Wayne Phillips that kept wkt played more than one test...the one you mentioned was an Opener and Healy was the keeper in that test...

  13. #13
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,857
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    The Bradman one always makes me laugh

    One of the strangest selectorial choices must have been Jack Ryder, he had just captained the Aust side in the 1928/29 series and was one of the three selectors for the 1930 tour.

    The other two left him out of the side completely; he never spoke to either again
    There are a number of stories going around that the last batting position went down to a choice of Ryder or Ponsford, and the other two chose Ponsford. Which if anything shows that Ponny at that point wasn't the automatic selection we might have thought him to be.

    I would have paid to see the look on Ryder's face though when the other two read out their teams...
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

  14. #14
    Banned sideshowtim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,255
    Andy Ganteaume.

    Statistically the best batsman in the history of test cricket!

  15. #15
    International Captain stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,951
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    Here's an England "Greats dropped after debut" XI...

    1. Geoff Boycott (48, DNB)
    2. Dennis Amiss (17, DNB)
    3. Ted Dexter (52, DNB) (0-23, DNB)
    4. Tom Graveney (15, DNB)
    5. Nassar Hussain (13, DNB)
    6. Mike Gatting (5, 6)
    7. Les Ames + (0, DNB) (2c, 0c)
    8. John Emburey (2, DNB) (2-39, 0-1)
    9. John Snow (2*, DNB) (2-27, 2-53)
    10. Brian Staham (9, DNB) (1-47, DNB)
    11. Matthew Hoggard (12*, DNB) (0-49, DNB)

    Funny, but England seems to give most players at least 2 tests before they drop them (e.g. Stewart, Knott, Botham, Gooch, etc.), so Hussain, Gatting, Emburey and Hoggard hereby gain an elevation to greatness for this team
    Boycott wasn't really dropped, he was injured which is why he didn't bat in the second innings. England openers who just played the one Test include Alan Butcher, Andy Lloyd, Mark Benson and John Stephenson. Lloyd of course retired hurt on his debut against the '84 West Indies - his active Test career only lasted about half an hour.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CW XI Test History
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Statistics and Records
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 29-11-2007, 06:34 AM
  2. Brad Hogg as a test match option
    By aussie in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 267
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 08:31 AM
  3. Best Spinner ever
    By grant28 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 233
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •