• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peate

neville cardus

International Debutant
In the 1882 Australians' match against an England XI at Harrowgate, Ted Peate arrived at the wicket and was soon driving the ball down the ground to Alec Bannerman at mid-off. As the ball made its way towards the fielder, Peate decided that this was the perfect moment to indulge himself a bit, so he made as though he were about to set off for a run, attempting to dupe the fielder into an ill-conceived hustle. (George Bonnor, by the way, described this custom, with that sophisticated comportment which Tom Horan knew to be so emblematic of the big man, as "playing the Angora".)

Bannerman, however, saw no comedy in what Peate was doing; in fact, he was very, very annoyed, well aware of the fact that Peate was trying to make him appear silly. He did not take any action, however, until Peate, after hitting another ball to him, strayed a further foot from his crease. With amazing pace and alacrity, Bannerman gathered the ball and whipped it in to wicketkeeper Jack Blackham, who had the middle-stump out of the ground long before the frantic batsman could get back.

Peate was absolutely gobsmacked; indeed, Tom Horan had never seen a batsman more wholly devastated as he mooched away towards the pavilion and the mirth of the assembled thousands. The only people, reckoned Horan, who were not laughing were the two men involved -- Peate and Bannerman. The latter, in fact, was so pumped-up that his moustache bristled as he asked a forceful, aggressive question of the departing batsman: "Play the Angora with me, will you?"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In the 1882 Australians' match against an England XI at Harrowgate, Ted Peate arrived at the wicket and was soon driving the ball down the ground to Alec Bannerman at mid-off. As the ball made its way towards the fielder, Peate decided that this was the perfect moment to indulge himself a bit, so he made as though he were about to set off for a run, attempting to dupe the fielder into an ill-conceived hustle. (George Bonnor, by the way, described this custom, with that sophisticated comportment which Tom Horan knew to be so emblematic of the big man, as "playing the Angora".)

Bannerman, however, saw no comedy in what Peate was doing; in fact, he was very, very annoyed, well aware of the fact that Peate was trying to make him appear silly. He did not take any action, however, until Peate, after hitting another ball to him, strayed a further foot from his crease. With amazing pace and alacrity, Bannerman gathered the ball and whipped it in to wicketkeeper Jack Blackham, who had the middle-stump out of the ground long before the frantic batsman could get back.

Peate was absolutely gobsmacked; indeed, Tom Horan had never seen a batsman more wholly devastated as he mooched away towards the pavilion and the mirth of the assembled thousands. The only people, reckoned Horan, who were not laughing were the two men involved -- Peate and Bannerman. The latter, in fact, was so pumped-up that his moustache bristled as he asked a forceful, aggressive question of the departing batsman: "Play the Angora with me, will you?"
:laugh: Awesome, have never heard that one before!

archie mac

International Coach
Love that story:)

I remember reading somewhere that Alick had the nickname 'The Rat' long before a certain Pakistan batsman/bookie

open365

International Vice-Captain
It would surprise me. That's too much effort on his part.
Well in this instance he didn't do it intentionaly, he moved out of his crease after playing a shot, the ball went to mid on who managed to throw it past Sehwag to the keeper who knocked the bails of before Sehwag even noticed he was out of his crease.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Love that story:)

I remember reading somewhere that Alick had the nickname 'The Rat' long before a certain Pakistan batsman/bookie
The Bradford crowd gave the 1882 Australians a host of delightful nicknames. Everywhere George Bonnor went, a cry of “Joombo!” resonated loudly. Bannerman became “Little Joombo” and also “Quicklime”. Horan, meanwhile, was “Features”, Joey Palmer “Ribs”, Blackham “Darkie” and Spofforth “Spider”.

archie mac

International Coach
The Bradford crowd gave the 1882 Australians a host of delightful nicknames. Everywhere George Bonnor went, a cry of “Joombo!” resonated loudly. Bannerman became “Little Joombo” and also “Quicklime”. Horan, meanwhile, was “Features”, Joey Palmer “Ribs”, Blackham “Darkie” and Spofforth “Spider”.
For awhile I was collecting nicknames of cricketers, but I noticed Cricinfo started putting them in their profiles so stopped, but I can't remember those ones:)

neville cardus

International Debutant
By the way, Archie, it'll definitely interest you to know what I came up with yesterday while doing some really in-depth research into Peate's life -- the truly mouth-watering fact that one of his ancestors, Thomas Peat, married a Sarah Verity in 1719.

archie mac

International Coach
Darn! I had a witty rejoinder on the tip of my tongue!

For the time being, though, waddaya reckon the best-ever cricketing nickname was?
By the way, Archie, it'll definitely interest you to know what I came up with yesterday while doing some really in-depth research into Peate's life -- the truly mouth-watering fact that one of his ancestors, Thomas Peat, married a Sarah Verity in 1719.
I quite like 'Tear em Up' Tarrant, and Johhny Won't Hit Today Douglas. Your Fav?

Relation of the great left arm spinner killed in the 2nd WW?