• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicket-keeper for the All Time Test XI

Wicket-Keeper for the All Time Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

archie mac

International Coach
Ames was a great batsman, posting 100 FC tons, and he was also a very fast scorer, and one of the biggest hitters of his time. Give him one of these new bats and a squash ball and I reckon he would be just as good:)

JBH001

International Regular
IMO Glly's batting tends to oveshadow his keeping and as a result it is quite under-rated.

So, its still Adam Gilchrist for me.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
LOL!

Late night lads and a bleary headed morning when I typed that. Dont hold it against me.

Anyway, edited. :)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In terms of overall ability with both gloves and bat, then I'd be inclined to agree with him. In terms of pure wicket keeping skill then it is a ridiculous claim but I think he was referring to Gilchrist as a whole player.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Of all the modern keepers who are pseudo batting allrounders, ie. the Flowers and Sangas etc of the world, I'd say Gilchrist is easily the best and most consistent glovesman. Not sure just how good, or not, Ames was, but Gilly is actually a very accomplished keeper, so when you add in his batting, he's easily the best package overall IMO...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist, come on. People rant about how clear Sobers is being the best all-rounder and all, in that same breath, Gilchrist should be mentioned as an automatic for best keeper. He's up there with the best keepers just for his glovework but as said by someone else, it seems to be completely overshadowed by his amazing batting. A certain batting class that only Viv Richards and himself can rightly occupy.

sideshowtim

Banned
Gilchrist will win this, and rightly so, but I think it should be closer than it's going to be. So I'll give a vote to Ames.
Isn't the point to vote for who you think is better, not who you think should recieve a sympathy vote?

Anyway, Gilchrist easily. Remarkable batsman who will be sorely missed when he calls it a day.

archie mac

International Coach
Gilchrist, come on. People rant about how clear Sobers is being the best all-rounder and all, in that same breath, Gilchrist should be mentioned as an automatic for best keeper. He's up there with the best keepers just for his glovework but as said by someone else, it seems to be completely overshadowed by his amazing batting. A certain batting class that only Viv Richards and himself can rightly occupy.

I agree best batsman/keeper but not best keeper/batsman

I think the latter should go to Ames, it just depends on which one you prefer

And as for the best keeper, I am not sure but Evans, Tallon and Blackham come to mind

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
IMO Glly's batting tends to oveshadow his keeping and as a result it is quite under-rated.

So, its still Adam Gilchrist for me.
it doesn't really matter if he is underrated as a 'keeper, he is still far from being among the greatest glovesmen of all-time which is what we are evaluating right now, the way his batting skills always get dragged into any discussion/argument as if that is a clincher for his selection as a wicketkeeper is so ridiculous...

Matt79

Global Moderator
^ Actually we're not selecting the "greatest glovesman", as defined by your apparent sole criteria of skill at keeping wicket, at all. That's never been what this poll was about. We're picking the strongest team we can, and his batting skill is highly relevant to that question. I think, and from the looks of the results of all the polls like this to date, a solid keeper who's a great batsman is more valuable to the team than a great keeper who's a solid batsman at best. And added to that is that Gilchrist is more than solid as a glovesman - I don't know whether you can categorically say that Ames was any better behind the stumps than him. He's not in the very top bracket (populated by the Knotts, Tallons, etc of the world), but he's one of the better keepers to have played the game.