• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicket-keeper for the All Time Test XI

Wicket-Keeper for the All Time Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adharcric

International Coach
Pretty much. The extra runs that Gilly will provide are much more valuable than the (slightly) higher standard of glovework from a superior keeper ie Knott.

archie mac

International Coach
Pretty much. The extra runs that Gilly will provide are much more valuable than the (slightly) higher standard of glovework from a superior keeper ie Knott.
Again let me say:

If Gilly scored 35 & 78 and missed a tough stumping off a player when 23 who goes onto score 123.

Compared to Ames who scores 8 & 35 but makes the stumping at 23 that means Ames contributed 30 more, I think :wacko:

adharcric

International Coach
Again let me say:

If Gilly scored 35 & 78 and missed a tough stumping off a player when 23 who goes onto score 123.

Compared to Ames who scores 8 & 35 but makes the stumping at 23 that means Ames contributed 30 more, I think :wacko:
Just assume that the player would go on to score 63 instead of 123. All of a sudden, Gilly looks better doesn't he? The reality is that Gilchrist will come out on top on the whole.

archie mac

International Coach
Just assume that the player would go on to score 63 instead of 123. All of a sudden, Gilly looks better doesn't he? The reality is that Gilchrist will come out on top on the whole.

I don't think so, Ames did average 40 after all, he was no mug with the bat, and I think a better keeper. Also when Ames mistimed a drive in his day he was a good chance of being caught, not of the ball going for six

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think so, Ames did average 40 after all, he was no mug with the bat, and I think a better keeper. Also when Ames mistimed a drive in his day he was a good chance of being caught, not of the ball going for six
Ames was a very good batsman and his 100 First Class centuries are testament to this, but I think the aggression that Gilchrist brings with his batting is invaluable, especially as he is a better Test batsman that Ames was. Couple this with some very good glovework and he is the best wicketkeeper batsman for mine, as a whole package.

archie mac

International Coach
Ames was a very good batsman and his 100 First Class centuries are testament to this, but I think the aggression that Gilchrist brings with his batting is invaluable, especially as he is a better Test batsman that Ames was. Couple this with some very good glovework and he is the best wicketkeeper batsman for mine, as a whole package.
Well lets just see who wins the poll shall we8-)

:laugh:

Matt79

Global Moderator
My last word on this: I don't think you can get away with having an average or poor keeper just because he's a better batsman. There's no way I'd nominate a Dhoni etc over someone like Knott or Tallon. That said, provided the standard of a guys keeping is "good" or better, then I'll go for the better batsman, even if it means passing on a brilliant keeper. And Gilchrist is definitely in the good-to-very good category as a glovesman. And also, AFAIK Ames was also in the good-to-very good category with the gloves and with the bat, rather than "brilliant" with the gloves. Its not like we're passing on Knott, Tallon or Healy here in favour of an Andy Flower. Game-set-match for me.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Just did some extra research and I am convinced that Ames was in fact a very good batsman. Tough choice tbh.

adharcric

International Coach
My last word on this: I don't think you can get away with having an average or poor keeper just because he's a better batsman. There's no way I'd nominate a Dhoni etc over someone like Knott or Tallon. That said, provided the standard of a guys keeping is "good" or better, then I'll go for the better batsman, even if it means passing on a brilliant keeper. And Gilchrist is definitely in the good-to-very good category as a glovesman. And also, AFAIK Ames was also in the good-to-very good category with the gloves and with the bat, rather than "brilliant" with the gloves. Its not like we're passing on Knott, Tallon or Healy here in favour of an Andy Flower. Game-set-match for me.
The argument is now that Ames is (nearly, if not) on par with Gilchrist as a batsman, it seems.

archie mac

International Coach
Not looking too good for poor Ames at the moment :p
True but when people read my magnificant arguments in favour of Ames there will be an avalanche (spelling) of support for LEG:happy: And then everyone will support Nth Melb instead of Collingwood, and then Aust will win the next Rugby WC (I thought that would make more sense to you:unsure: )

Matt79

Global Moderator
The argument is now that Ames is (nearly, if not) on par with Gilchrist as a batsman, it seems.
Just not true IMO. And that's not putting Ames down - he was very very good. But Gilly was clearly great with the bat for a large chunk of his career. And conditions were probably equally batter friendly for a lot of their respective batting careers.

Perm

Sums it up nicely for me. People usually say "You can't sacrifice wicket keeping for some extra batting" and usually that is not the case, but in this particular instance the opportunity cost is very little in relation to wicket keeping and batting. Gilchrist will score enough runs to make up for the occasional wicket keeping blunder that Ames won't have made whereas somebody like Dhoni would not score enough to make up for the amount of catches he drops compared to somebody like Alan Knott.

archie mac

International Coach
Sums it up nicely for me. People usually say "You can't sacrifice wicket keeping for some extra batting" and usually that is not the case, but in this particular instance the opportunity cost is very little in relation to wicket keeping and batting. Gilchrist will score enough runs to make up for the occasional wicket keeping blunder that Ames won't have made whereas somebody like Dhoni would not score enough to make up for the amount of catches he drops compared to somebody like Alan Knott.

I still think we are not giving Ames enough credit as a batsman:-O

Perm

I still think we are not giving Ames enough credit as a batsman:-O
As I mentioned earlier I think Ames is a very, very fine batsman and his record speaks for itself. To score over 100 FC centuries and keep wicket is an amazing feat and unlikely to be bettered by a wicket keeper, but I simply think Gilchrist was better as a batsman. His aggression and ability to bat with the tail is of great help when his side are in trouble, and when they are on top he can come out and take the game away from his opponents.

adharcric

International Coach
Having too much fun with the econ, huh?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
^ Actually we're not selecting the "greatest glovesman", as defined by your apparent sole criteria of skill at keeping wicket, at all. That's never been what this poll was about. We're picking the strongest team we can, and his batting skill is highly relevant to that question. I think, and from the looks of the results of all the polls like this to date, a solid keeper who's a great batsman is more valuable to the team than a great keeper who's a solid batsman at best. And added to that is that Gilchrist is more than solid as a glovesman - I don't know whether you can categorically say that Ames was any better behind the stumps than him. He's not in the very top bracket (populated by the Knotts, Tallons, etc of the world), but he's one of the better keepers to have played the game.
even so, in an all-time xi, when you have a list of the greatest ever batsmen and the greatest all-rounders(the classic batting-bowling-fielding ones i mean) alongside you, what you look for is the greatest ever 'keeper who would keep brilliantly, not a "solid" keeper who can bat great...if he can bat well, that would be a bonus....agreed that there are definitely better 'keepers than the two in this list and it's sad that the modern generation doesn't consider them in the "gilchrist craze", i just voted for the better one in this...

sideshowtim

Banned
Gilchrist isn't a bad a keeper as some of you are making him out to be....He has kept magnificently to Warne for many years. Has rarely made a mistake that costed his team a single thing. If ever.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist isn't a bad a keeper as some of you are making him out to be....He has kept magnificently to Warne for many years. Has rarely made a mistake that costed his team a single thing. If ever.
again, who is saying he is bad? this is an all-time xi we are talking about, we should be talking about the all-time greatest 'keepers, and gilly wouldn't make the cut there is all i am saying....