• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The race to sign Whatmore!

Who will get Whatmore?

• India

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • neither will

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Very valid argument Richard......doubt if you can ever win this one though :happy:
In a way, it is like neutral umpires. We are not gonna avoid mistakes but at least we can avoid accusations of bias. In fact, not even that. WE can simply get rid of "he is only favouring him because he is from his place" accusations. I mean, even the worst critic of Greg Chappell cannot say that he was backing Raina because he was from "his place" or for "votes". It is not the best reason but practically, it helps, although to what extent is pretty questionable.

Nishant

International 12th Man
just added a poll to the thread...what do u guys think?

I think india will get him...Whatmore has shown a lot of interest in the indian job lately and te players seem to want a foreign coach...

pasag

RTDAS
just added a poll to the thread...what do u guys think?

I think india will get him...Whatmore has shown a lot of interest in the indian job lately and te players seem to want a foreign coach...
Yeah, he indicated India during the WC, so you'd think that's the most likely option, still you never know with these things.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You contradict your own post..If it is best then how come Australia became the best team under Simpson/Marsh/Buchanan ?
Haha, WTF? I don't contradict myself - most teams have been most successful under foreign coaches, more successful than they have with home coaches. Simple as.

Australia (and Zimbabwe) just happen to be different.
And wasn't Whatmore a SriLankan too ?
No, as has been said he's an Aussie who happened to be born in Sri Lanka. Everything about him and his coaching is Australian.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think India will get him - if they want him. With the Gavaskar-Dev faction who want an Indian coach, you never know how it will turn out.

♪♪♪

Cricket Spectator
What pisses me off most about the Gavaskar-Dev objection is their inability to put their reputations where their mouth is. Gavaskar prefers sitting in air-conditioned rooms commenting on matches with a fat ESPN paycheck to support him, while Kapil was was even more of a let-down than Chappell as coach.

And what is up with guys like Madan Lal and Miandad speaking out, stating their desire to coach their respective national sides, but refusing to apply for the job. Instead they want the cricket boards to approach them. Who do they think they are, prima donnas ?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You contradict your own post..If it is best then how come Australia became the best team under Simpson/Marsh/Buchanan ? And wasn't Whatmore a SriLankan too ?
Interested to hear a reply to this post...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, WTF? I don't contradict myself - most teams have been most successful under foreign coaches, more successful than they have with home coaches. Simple as.
But the most successful team in the history of Cricket has done so under coaches from its own country, not just one but 3 of them and therein lies the contradiction. Also Please check India's test/ODI record under Ajit Wadekar as Coach and you will be surprised that he was as successful (if not more) as any other foreign coach we have had.

Australia (and Zimbabwe) just happen to be different.
Why ? because they dont back your argument ?

adharcric

International Coach
The most successful team in the history of cricket also has the best infrastructure ever and arguably the most professional cricketers ever. Go figure.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The most successful team in the history of cricket also has the best infrastructure ever and arguably the most professional cricketers ever. Go figure.
This Australian team wasn't built in a day, Read Bobby Simpson's biography(if there is one) to know more about their rebuilding.

India/Pakistan have the worst infrastructure, wrost selectors, most unprofessional cricketers, so to single out a coach's nationality for their failure is well simply stupid.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
♪♪♪;1211303 said:
What pisses me off most about the Gavaskar-Dev objection is their inability to put their reputations where their mouth is. Gavaskar prefers sitting in air-conditioned rooms commenting on matches with a fat ESPN paycheck to support him, while Kapil was was even more of a let-down than Chappell as coach.

And what is up with guys like Madan Lal and Miandad speaking out, stating their desire to coach their respective national sides, but refusing to apply for the job. Instead they want the cricket boards to approach them. Who do they think they are, prima donnas ?
obviously, u are unaware of the code of conduct that exists in India and Pakistan for former players.... If they don't criticize something or someone in cricket (preferably, Indian or Pak cricket), then they will be in violation of it. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But the most successful team in the history of Cricket has done so under coaches from its own country, not just one but 3 of them and therein lies the contradiction.
Nope, they could have been coached by pretty well anyone decent in that period and it's very likely they'd have still gone well. Having an Australian as coach was not a crucial factor.
Also Please check India's test/ODI record under Ajit Wadekar as Coach and you will be surprised that he was as successful (if not more) as any other foreign coach we have had.
Haven't a clue when the period in question was, I'm afraid.
Why ? because they dont back your argument ?
Err, no, because they are odd-ones-out. In case you didn't notice, 2 is a much smaller number than 8.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
2 is a much smaller number than 8.
What are you talking about? :D

Seriously though, I am not sure such a hard nosed tough love sort of coach like Whatmore would be best for the premaddonas of India, unless it has the effect of whipping them into shape.