• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Q&A

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its interesting. Many news stories say round whereas AskSteven on cricinfo stated over.

Its a little confusing.

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/233194.html
AskSteven Cricinfo said:
Who was the bowler who dismissed Don Bradman for 0 in his final Test innings? asked Terry Beale from Aberdeen

The man who brought The Don`s Test career to an end a boundary short of an average of 100 was the legspinner Eric Hollies. It was Bradman's second ball at The Oval in 1948, and Hollies was bowling over the wicket (not round it, as some newsreel films suggest). Bradman groped a little for a googly and was bowled - he later denied that he had "tears in his eyes at the thought that this was his last Test match. Hollies had a long career - he played for Warwickshire from 1932 to 1957, and still heads their wicket-taking lists with 2201 at 20.45. He first played for England in 1934-35, and took 44 wickets in 13 Tests in all. He died in 1981, aged 68.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I was sure of that myself, then I heard that they had spliced footage of his bowling form later in the game. I saw a photo which looks like it was over th ewicket, but not 100% sure.
Ive not seen the old newreel footage for a long time but you certainly could be right about the spliced footage. IIRC it showed Bradman walking to the wicket, Hollies bowling and then cut to Bradman getting bowled.

It could certainly have been unrelated deliveries spliced together that (as the one shown is round) has led to the misunderstanding that Hollies was round the wicket when he bowled Bradman.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Here is a confirmation.

I quote :

At the Oval Test, Hollies' first ball, bowling round the wicket, was a leg-break, which the batsman played defensively. His second one was a googly. It drew Bradman forward but not far enough to smother the spin. The ball broke in and removed the off bail. Bradman was out! The moment stunned the crowd as well as Bradman.

The Don returned to the pavilion amidst thunderous applause. Hollies who had plotted his fall turned to Jack Young and lamented, "Best ball I I've bowled all season and they are clapping him!" That evening he rang up Dollery and told him triumphantly. "He never saw it, Tom".

A cartoon in The Melbourne Herald next day depicted Hollies as "the prickly fellow who put the zero in Don"! The "Hollies Duck" is one of cricket's amazing noughts. It almost never came about, for, when the invitation to play in the Test arrived, Hollies told Leslie Deakins that he would rather play for Warwickshire since the rubber had already been decided, and playing the Test would mean his missing out on two county games. The county management prevailed upon their homeboy to play in the Test.
Should we reactivate the "Cricket guru" thread or the "SJS format thread" again ?:)

archie mac

International Coach
In a match between Eng in Aust in the 1880s (in England) the English WK (can't remember his name off the top of my head but it may have been Lyllton) had a bowl, what I want to know is: Q did he wear his pads when he bowled?

cover drive man

International Captain
In a match between Eng in Aust in the 1880s (in England) the English WK (can't remember his name off the top of my head but it may have been Lyllton) had a bowl, what I want to know is: Q did he wear his pads when he bowled?
Well I've never heard of it but it would be pretty much impossible to bowl in pads. There would be just much too little flexibility.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If all stumps are removed from the ground whilst a batsman is running (say he falls over and knocks them down, or a fielder does), what needs to be done to run the batsman out at that end if they run again (say an overthrow). Do they have to put the stumps back in the slot, and then pull them out? :confused:

Because if the bails are off at an end, and the team tries to run a batsman out there they have to pull the stump out of the ground correct? Is it similar if the stumps are already out of the ground?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think they have to hit the hole in the ground, TBH. Would think such a situation is one which demands John Jameson's Law 43: "In all cases not mentioned above, common-sense applies".

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If all stumps are removed from the ground whilst a batsman is running (say he falls over and knocks them down, or a fielder does), what needs to be done to run the batsman out at that end if they run again (say an overthrow). Do they have to put the stumps back in the slot, and then pull them out? :confused:

Because if the bails are off at an end, and the team tries to run a batsman out there they have to pull the stump out of the ground correct? Is it similar if the stumps are already out of the ground?
a) If one bail is down and the other is in place it is enough to run the batsman out normally as long as this second bail is dislodged.

b) If both bails are down but one or more stumps are standing, it is required to pull a stump out of the ground. Alternatively one can try to put a bail back and follow the normal method but that takes longer

c) If all stumps are lying on the ground, the fielder is required to put at least one of them back and follow b) above.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I'd be dropping my game if I didn't post woeful use of the naughty. I'm well-known for it, especially by your esteemed countryman formerly of the ultra-curly hair.