• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Q&A

Fiery

Banned
I know now that a 4 day match is not a test match(thank you prince) but is it just called a 4 day match or what?
A test is scheduled to be played over 5 days headhunter. Sometimes it doesn't take that long obviously but it is still a test. Not sure if you are confusing this with a 4 day 1st class game though which is possible

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
yeah i know a test match is the 5 day that for example england and windies are playing!!!
i was just woundering what a 4 day was called....you say its called a 1st class game?

Fiery

Banned
yeah i know a test match is the 5 day that for example england and windies are playing!!!
i was just woundering what a 4 day was called....you say its called a 1st class game?
If a test is over in 4 days it's still called a test

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know now that a 4 day match is not a test match(thank you prince) but is it just called a 4 day match or what?
A test is scheduled to be played over 5 days headhunter. Sometimes it doesn't take that long obviously but it is still a test. Not sure if you are confusing this with a 4 day 1st class game though which is possible
If a test is over in 4 days it's still called a test
yes i know bot im on about the matches which are scedualed for 4 day!!!
They're 1st class games
The situation there is far from straightforward - the first thing to say is that Test and First-Class games must be 11 players against 11.

No First-Class game can last less than three days, and as a general rule Tests last five (and that's been the case for the last 50 years or so) and non-Test First-Class games (Test matches, confusingly, are also First-Class) last either three or four. Most of the particularly serious ones tend to be four and that's been the case for the last 15 years or so.

However, there are certain "criteria" that must be met for a game to be classified First-Class, and not all of that is obvious or transparent. It's not as simple as any game between 11 players and 11 players lasting three days will always be First-Class.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Also the SS final is played over five days, but is not a Test match:-O
Oh. In my college days, the inter college cricket final in Delhi was played over five days. Mostly it used to be between St Stephens and Hindu College and sometimes even five days wouldnt bring an outright result. :)

PS The crowds used to be bigger than you see in many test matches.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket already has a reputation for being confusing, there's no need to make it worse.

A Test match is played between two international teams and has a limit of 5 days.

A First Class match is played between two non-international teams and generally has a limit of 4 days.

Both types have eleven players on each team, and each team has two innings.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Cricket already has a reputation for being confusing, there's no need to make it worse.

A Test match is played between two international teams and has a limit of 5 days.

A First Class match is played between two non-international teams and generally has a limit of 4 days.

This is the version i know of!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

The trouble is, there are all sorts of 3- and 4-day games that aren't First-Class, and that's where the confusion can most often arise.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
However, there are certain "criteria" that must be met for a game to be classified First-Class, and not all of that is obvious or transparent. It's not as simple as any game between 11 players and 11 players lasting three days will always be First-Class.
True. I remember reading something by Gooch about the 1982 "rebel" tour of SA not being counted as first class, whereas filling his boots against one of the universities was. I'm not sure whether the WSC games were regarded as first class at the time either.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Question:

If there was a spinner bowling, and the batsman came charging down the pitch to them, missed it because it span MILES and went to first slip, and then first slip threw the ball onto the stumps, and hit them before the batsman got back. Run out? Or stumping? (I thought stumping as no attempt to run has been made, but I'm not sure).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AFAIK stumpings can only be performed by the keeper.

However, as no run has been attempted that'd suggest it can't be run out.

Also, added problem if it span *that* much is that of a wide being called...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Question:

If there was a spinner bowling, and the batsman came charging down the pitch to them, missed it because it span MILES and went to first slip, and then first slip threw the ball onto the stumps, and hit them before the batsman got back. Run out? Or stumping? (I thought stumping as no attempt to run has been made, but I'm not sure).
AFAIK stumpings can only be performed by the keeper.

However, as no run has been attempted that'd suggest it can't be run out.

Also, added problem if it span *that* much is that of a wide being called...
I wonder what'd happen if first-slip threw got the ball to the wicketkeeper before the batsman could regain his ground?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True. I remember reading something by Gooch about the 1982 "rebel" tour of SA not being counted as first class, whereas filling his boots against one of the universities was. I'm not sure whether the WSC games were regarded as first class at the time either.
Think the Rebel tour games were pretty well all counted as First-Class at the time, then some genius at I$C$C decided in 1993, when such a decision was completely posthumous, that some of them weren't. Matthew Engel described it as "too pathetic a direction to obey".

Don't think anyone ever got the impression that Packer games were gonna be anything other than private enterprises.