Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 10 players who will "define" cricket in the next decade

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Dwayne Bravo (WI) - Promising batsman, but should not be on the list.
    he shouldn't be on the list, but shane watson should?

bravo as an all round package>>>>watson

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne View Post

Both still have a way to go for me before they attain the world class all-rounder status, or more pertinently "redefine" cricket.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne View Post

More than a little harsh on Watson.

What I do think though is Bravo is more likely to stick out above his teammates and therefore may well have more impact in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Both still have a way to go for me before they attain the world class all-rounder status, or more pertinently "redefine" cricket.
    There's a difference between 'define' and 'redefine'

Less than ten players in every ten years 'redefine' it.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    There's a difference between 'define' and 'redefine'

Less than ten players in every ten years 'redefine' it.
    Yes, you are quite right, there is a clear difference.
    However, I stand by what I generally mean in that both these players are some way off reaching such a standard.

Yes, you are quite right, there is a clear difference.
    However, I stand by what I generally mean in that both these players are some way off reaching such a standard.
    The list is looking forwards though... proabably only Clarke and maybe Malinga/Asif are really top players atm.

The list is looking forwards though... proabably only Clarke and maybe Malinga/Asif are really top players atm.
    I appreciate that the list is looking forward, however, imo these 2 players are some way behind the others on this list, with no real signs of catching them up anytime soon.

I think both of them are capable of appearing in both forms of cricket for their respective nations over the coming years consistently (perhaps less so Watson, for obvious reasons), but I do not believe they will reach the desired level. Just my own personal opinion.

I appreciate that the list is looking forward, however, imo these 2 players are some way behind the others on this list, with no real signs of catching them up anytime soon.

I think both of them are capable of appearing in both forms of cricket for their respective nations over the coming years consistently (perhaps less so Watson, for obvious reasons), but I do not believe they will reach the desired level. Just my own personal opinion.
    Of course, as I have mine. I mean to debate, not argue

I think Bravo could have a big impact, the Windies want a star and if he can carry a few along with his commitment and enthusiasm that's surely one of the big hopes for a change in their fortunes.

I reckon if Watson can stay fit he can be a very good player, although I appreciate that it's a big if. I think there's good evidence to say that he can be a good batsman in his own right, and as long as his bowling is allowed to just develop off the back of that he should be fine.

Cricket Spectator
    Im really surpirised no-ones mentioned ian bell a class player and will be a better player when he gets older. He will learn how to convert them 50s into 100s. A really bright talent.

Of course, as I have mine. I mean to debate, not argue

I think Bravo could have a big impact, the Windies want a star and if he can carry a few along with his commitment and enthusiasm that's surely one of the big hopes for a change in their fortunes.

I reckon if Watson can stay fit he can be a very good player, although I appreciate that it's a big if. I think there's good evidence to say that he can be a good batsman in his own right, and as long as his bowling is allowed to just develop off the back of that he should be fine.
    I know you're only debating mate!

Don't get me wrong, both Bravo and Watson have certain credentials that can perhaps catapult them into the spotlight, but for some reason I believe there are certain crucial inadequacies in their games.

I don't think either of there bowling skills are or will be good enough to rip through any Test playing nation in the coming months/years (unless there is marked improvement), and are either of these players batting abilities good enough to make them top class players, without taking their bowling into account. For me the juries are still out on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by ian_bell View Post
    Im really surpirised no-ones mentioned ian bell a class player and will be a better player when he gets older. He will learn how to convert them 50s into 100s. A really bright talent.
    I agree but I've already mentioned Cook and Panesar, people will start to think I'm a typical biased Pom!

Quote Originally Posted by ian_bell View Post
    Fair call

For some reason though I can't get myself excited about Bell, I don't know why. Personal preference perhaps.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    There hasnt been a more talented batsman that has played for England certainly in my lifetime....the fact that he is averaging 50 in his 2 year test career, and it is quite possible that we havent seen anywhere near all of his potential says a hell of a lot about his talent

Injury permitting, there is no reason why he shouldnt be averaging over 50 (maybe well over 50 in fact) for a good 120 test career.
    But there are people who've averaged that and more over lengthy careers.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Fair call

For some reason though I can't get myself excited about Bell, I don't know why. Personal preference perhaps.
    He's not really the sort of player to extricate "excitement", really. He's a bit of a Tendulkar (not at the same level, obviously) in that he'll play huge parts in the accumulation of countless big scores (and therefore, when the bowlers are good enough to play their part, victories), but he'll not be the sort to play that innings that innings that gets spotted by those who only scratch the surface in looking for the notable deeds of a batsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    What relevance does that Tendulkar hundred have to anything?
    Haha, well played.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information