• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ten Best Cricketers Of All Time

Laurrz

International Debutant
OK I'll make one comparison. Glenn McGrath, great as he is, IMO, couldn't redeem Australia in that 1999 semi final. He couldn't redeem them in Sri Lanka. He couldn't redeem them in the 2005 Ashes (though that may be unfair since he struggled for fitness). Not to say he didn't win Australia an absolute hoard of matches... but a truly great comeback that defends the Aussie reputation is something I don't recall seeing in the McGrath legacy. At Australia's most vital moments, the moments history remembers, Warne did it for Australia. I used McGrath as an example for comparison.
how about when Australia were 1-0 down in the Ashes series in England and were looking REAL bad
McGrath comes in at Lords takes 8/38

and u know there are two batsmen ppl rate highly named Tendulkar and Lara, guess who they struggled against the most.. yes that man in my avvy :p

sideshowtim

Banned
OK I'll make one comparison. Glenn McGrath, great as he is, IMO, couldn't redeem Australia in that 1999 semi final. He couldn't redeem them in Sri Lanka. He couldn't redeem them in the 2005 Ashes (though that may be unfair since he struggled for fitness). Not to say he didn't win Australia an absolute hoard of matches... but a truly great comeback that defends the Aussie reputation is something I don't recall seeing in the McGrath legacy. At Australia's most vital moments, the moments history remembers, Warne did it for Australia. I used McGrath as an example for comparison. But I honestly have never seen any other cricketer, be it a batsman or bowler, in my entire life, who could rise to the occasion.
Isn't it a credit to McGrath that, in such a long career, against so many teams, he very rarely put the other team in a position where Warne's magic was required?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
OK I'll make one comparison. Glenn McGrath, great as he is, IMO, couldn't redeem Australia in that 1999 semi final. He couldn't redeem them in Sri Lanka. He couldn't redeem them in the 2005 Ashes (though that may be unfair since he struggled for fitness). Not to say he didn't win Australia an absolute hoard of matches... but a truly great comeback that defends the Aussie reputation is something I don't recall seeing in the McGrath legacy. At Australia's most vital moments, the moments history remembers, Warne did it for Australia. I used McGrath as an example for comparison. But I honestly have never seen any other cricketer, be it a batsman or bowler, in my entire life, who could rise to the occasion.
But then you can't really ignore the times Warne did have the chance and failed. Like vs. India, where McGrath really succeeded, whether in India or in Australia vs India.

No one will ever convince me that Warne > McGrath.

sideshowtim

Banned
But then you can't really ignore the times Warne did have the chance and failed. Like vs. India, where McGrath really succeeded, whether in India or in Australia vs India.

No one will ever convince me that Warne > McGrath.
It's hard for me to judge, but I agree with you, if you criticise McGrath on times he failed to "step up" you must also criticise Warne. As great was Warne was in the 05 Ashes I feel a different performance by him on Day 5 of Test 5 could've produced a different result. Let's not forget the fielding either.

McGrath is just outstanding. One of the finest bowlers of all time. That's taking away nothing from Warne of course, but I'm saying if you wanna give it to Pidge you have to give it to Warne a bit too. Of course neither are immortal, you can't expect them to do it everytime.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's hard for me to judge, but I agree with you, if you criticise McGrath on times he failed to "step up" you must also criticise Warne. As great was Warne was in the 05 Ashes I feel a different performance by him on Day 5 of Test 5 could've produced a different result. Let's not forget the fielding either.

McGrath is just outstanding. One of the finest bowlers of all time. That's taking away nothing from Warne of course, but I'm saying if you wanna give it to Pidge you have to give it to Warne a bit too. Of course neither are immortal, you can't expect them to do it everytime.
I never said I don't give it to Warne, but one has to simply look at Warne's record without McGrath, and the other way around to start to get a feel. Perhaps the records aren't really representative, but I think they tell a lot on how they depended on each other.

sideshowtim

Banned
I never said I don't give it to Warne, but one has to simply look at Warne's record without McGrath, and the other way around to start to get a feel. Perhaps the records aren't really representative, but I think they tell a lot on how they depended on each other.
Yes, sorry, I was referring to Francis rather than you. I was using your post as a point of reference in regards to Warne not always stepping up.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Warne averages around 33 without McGrath
McGraths average without Warne are pretty much the same iidr

Dont get me wrong i am a massiveeeee Warney fan :D :D ... but im just saying, i think sometimes what Pigeon does goes unnoticed just a bit..he really is amazing... IMO without those stupid and silly injuries throughout the 05 Ashes he would've saved us.

Beleg

International Regular
like Sanz I'll only list those I have watched myself,

1. Muralitharan - the best bowler I have ever watched.
2. Ambrose - the best fast bowler I have ever watched.
3. Wasim - the most exciting cricketer I have ever watched.
4. Lara - the best batsman I have ever watched.
5. Donald - the most underrated cricketer I have ever watched.
6. Tendulkar - the most exquisite batsman I have ever watched.
7. Warne - to palacate the aussies...
8. Dravid - the batsman I like watching the most
9. McGrath - bowling machine
10. Waqar - the second most destructive bowler I have ever watched.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
1.Bradman-- no explanation needed
2.Sobers----- ditto
3.May--------- a gentleman of the first order..brilliant bat/tactician
4.Hutton-------the greatest opener of all time?
5.Warne-------701 Test wickets speak for themselves
6.Imran--------Pakistans best ever Captain and allrounded cricketer
7.lloyd---------Leader of the most dominant side in world cricket for quite a few years
8Grout---------Solid team man handy bat ..best gloveman the Aussies have had
9.Lillee---------All heart,great fast bowler/competitor
10.Trueman--Maybe the best fast bowler England has produced
11.Miller[K]---Fantastic all rounder,new ball bowler,Captain of the 2nd AIF team to play in England as the first test match after the war in 1946

I have seen all bar Hutton play.Could make a second eleven which would give even that side a run for their money and include the likes of Benaud,Dexter,Graveney,D'oliviera,Richards etc etc etc.

archie mac

International Coach
2.Sobers----- ditto
7.lloyd---------Leader of the most dominant side in world cricket for quite a few years
11.Miller[K]---Fantastic all rounder,new ball bowler,Captain of the 2nd AIF team to play in England as the first test match after the war in 1946

I have seen all bar Hutton play.Could make a second eleven which would give even that side a run for their money and include the likes of Benaud,Dexter,Graveney,D'oliviera,Richards etc etc etc.

Wally Grout, the Grizz, great to see his name on one of these lists.

Surprised you watched Miller but not Hutton, but even still I envy you :)

Fiery

Banned
2.Sobers----- ditto

Where does Hadlee rank for you JBMAC?

JBMAC

State Captain
Sir Richard Hadlee would be one of those players in my second eleven,Fiery.There have been so many great players since 1946 and pre 1939 that when comparing these eras one needs to take into account what the playing conditions etc were at that time.Comparisons can be dangerous ie someone of 20-30 years of age would be saying Tendulkar is the greatest batsman of all time..someone in their 30-40 would be saying Border or Gavaskar.Someone in my age group would be saying Harvey,O'Neill etc etc.
Hadlee was a fine competitor and a fierce opponent but could he have stacked up with those in my first eleven? I don't think so.

Fiery

Banned
Sir Richard Hadlee would be one of those players in my second eleven,Fiery.There have been so many great players since 1946 and pre 1939 that when comparing these eras one needs to take into account what the playing conditions etc were at that time.Comparisons can be dangerous ie someone of 20-30 years of age would be saying Tendulkar is the greatest batsman of all time..someone in their 30-40 would be saying Border or Gavaskar.Someone in my age group would be saying Harvey,O'Neill etc etc.
Hadlee was a fine competitor and a fierce opponent but could he have stacked up with those in my first eleven? I don't think so.
Fair enough...he's still in mine ;)

JBMAC

State Captain
Wally Grout, the Grizz, great to see his name on one of these lists.

Surprised you watched Miller but not Hutton, but even still I envy you :)
Wally Grout was a real rough diamond with a heart of gold and a great keeper.I think he held the record for the most dissmissals in an innings for quite a number of years if i remember correctly.It might have been Goddard who broke that record.You are sure testing the old grey matter now.Never had the opporyunity to see Hutton but I would still rank him as the best opener of all time.Miller was everything aussies wanted after the war Rugged,good looking,War hero[flew spitfires/hurricanes in Battle of Britain},Team Man and a bloody fast bowler who could hit up a quick 50-100 runs in no time at all.

Fiery

Banned
Wally Grout was a real rough diamond with a heart of gold and a great keeper.I think he held the record for the most dissmissals in an innings for quite a number of years if i remember correctly.It might have been Goddard who broke that record.You are sure testing the old grey matter now.Never had the opporyunity to see Hutton but I would still rank him as the best opener of all time.Miller was everything aussies wanted after the war Rugged,good looking,War hero[flew spitfires/hurricanes in Battle of Britain},Team Man and a bloody fast bowler who could hit up a quick 50-100 runs in no time at all.
Surprised you would rate Grout higher than Rod Marsh tbh

JBMAC

State Captain
Surprised you would rate Grout higher than Rod Marsh tbh
I've always been a believer in that old cliche there is no "I" in the word team.Marshy was good but when it came to autographs/PR for the game etc it was always "What's in it for me?"
Grout was just Grout.What you saw was what you got.A bloody good sport[no false appeals]If he appealed for a caught behind you knew you were out.A tough fighter when the chips were down..was prepared to put his head down and make you buy his wicket where Marsh would come in with that cavalier attitude and start swinging sometimes it worked most time it didn;t.BUT the game evolved so quickly between Grout and Marsh once again it is one persons iterpretation of the game at that time.It would be really remiss of me not to mention Don Tallon..I had to just about toss a coin between him nad Grout.With the batting lineup those two had they only had to be a good gloveman..Marsh had to bat.Australia has ben fortunate in having great keepers but I think the unluckiest two would have to have been MacLean and Jarman.Jarman even Captained the Aussies once and Porky MacLean had to retir afetr breaking his fingers.