• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's happening you guys !!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, not you. Didn't really notice anything wrong with your posts tbh. Referring to Goughy and the thread starter really.
TBH, I believe my posts have been completely impartial and based purely on observations and evidence. Certainly no 'self righteous tone'.

I would suspect that if the conversation wasnt about something so close to home for some people then the problem would be given a greater recognition.

It seems that with some members anything said against India or Pakistan becomes a personal afront, which is part of the issue I mentioned with people having an overly emotional attachment to their team.

I cant see anything I have said that could be construed as unfair. There is an issue and it needs to be looked at. Whats the problem with that?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
TBH, I believe my posts have been completely impartial and based purely on observations and evidence. Certainly no 'self righteous tone'.
You want self-righteous? Have a look further on in this very post:

"I would suspect that if the conversation wasnt about something so close to home for some people then the problem would be given a greater recognition."

"It seems that with some members anything said against India or Pakistan becomes a personal afront, which is part of the issue I mentioned with people having an overly emotional attachment to their team."

Comes off as self-righteous and arrogant to me.

I cant see anything I have said that could be construed as unfair. There is an issue and it needs to be looked at. Whats the problem with that?
The problem is this; you entered the thread citing some examples of 'worrying' incidents regarding some fans. That's OK. The thing is, from that point on, you've created a straw man which you're attempting to pull down....your points are based around something along the lines of this - "I must admit. I do find this reluctance to accept that there are high levels of unusual behaviour a little strange. Either by downplaying it or comparing it to other bizarre incidents or countries."
No one has actually attempted to downplay anything. You've created this mythical Indian/Pakistani fan who seeks to appease these extremist elements...thus, you're addressing your points to someone who doesn't exist while at the same time positioning yourself as above it all. It's a tactic I've seen used in the media time and time again, particularly recently with right-wing shock jocks blaming all the worlds' ills on Muslims or some other bugaboo and frankly, there's no intellectual merit in such a method of argument at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
so has anyone introduced YOU to the sidewalk concrete? :p
If I go to Giants game, perhaps they would, but not in our house. No one would dare touching an Eagles fan. By half time, there would be 20,000 moderately inebriated fans after you (and that would include the police at the stadium). :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If I go to Giants game, perhaps they would, but not in our house. No one would dare touching an Eagles fan. By half time, there would be 20,000 moderately inebriated fans after you (and that would include the police at the stadium). :laugh:
hmmmmm..... Tiger at home, Lamb away..... Typical Indian, I guess. Just like our team. :p ;)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Just a few incidents.

1987 Ahmebad and Nagpur- outfielders wearing helmets due to being continuously pelted with stones

1989 Karachi- Kapil attacked after a man scaled a wall

97-98- 5 Indains hit by stones in Ind v pak game and Tendulkar taking the Indians from the field

98-99- Crowd disruptions interrupting a test after Tendulkar was runout

1989- Srikkanth attacked by Pakistani fans

1997- Inzi going into the crowd

61-62- 2nd Test Eng vs India. Major crowd troubles

1969- England tour to Pakistan- Massive crowd troubles including the 3rd test abandoned due to riots

77-78- England tour of Pakistan- Marred by continual rioting and attacks on Police and property destruction

04-05- Players walk off the field in Ind-Pak game after massive crowd trouble forcing thousands of paramilitary to attend and Helicopter gunships to patrol the ground

1999- In Calcutta the game was forced to be played (Test vs Ind-Pak) in an empty stadium after disturbances.

Well thats just a few :)

Ill admit I haven't read it, but here is an article on Indias cricket hooligans. No idea if its from a reputable source or any good.
http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl1924/stories/20021206003810200.htm

Outside the West Indies (a place where there have been many riots) nowhere in the cricketing world has fans that behave in a similar fashion to the exteme Indian and Pakistani fans.
So 10 incidents, let's make it 50 in last 60 years. And that becomes a usual behavior ? Very very objective assessment as usual from Goughy.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

I would suspect that if the conversation wasnt about something so close to home for some people then the problem would be given a greater recognition.

It seems that with some members anything said against India or Pakistan becomes a personal afront, which is part of the issue I mentioned with people having an overly emotional attachment to their team.

Of Course.8-) 8-)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I totally agree with Dasa, Pratyush and Fusion on the tone of this thread. It is not unheard of a coaches being blamed for a team's poor performance, is it ?

SilentStriker posted a pic that wasn't even related.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Interseting debate there. :)

Just some clarifications some of which should never have been nneded I thought.

1. It was written tongue firmly lodged in the cheek for those who , God knows how, didn't get that.

2. It was NOT adressed to/aimed at the posters from the sub-continent although when I read it now, I can see why some people think that might have been the case. Yes it was aimed at the Indian fans in general for which I am not apologetic.

3. I have seen the argument that the sub-continent fans maybe the worst in cricket but are not the worst in all sport. I dont know if that is a laudatory comment but anyway, I never said they are the worst in all sport so football 'jerks' dont come into this.

4. Someone has written that we must criticise other fans at the same time. Strange logic. I wonder if anyone can really post anything about any one player, team etc anymore because we may need it to be a treatise about the entire fraternity.

I am a proud Indian cricket fan. I love my team and I love watching sub-continental teams play and win at cricket. That doesnt make me blind. And yes, my anguish and my rage and hence my sarcasm is more when criticising the behaviour of Indians because I care for them more and would hate for them to be seen in poor light.

This is not self-loathing or whatever word someone used. And finally, I dont consider my/our poor behaviour somehow acceptable because some one else is a bigger idiot than me/us.

adharcric

International Coach
Completely agree. SJS, no one has excused the pathetic behavior of subcontinental fans in here - they are merely disputing the notion that such behavior is unique to this region. In my opinion, that is relatively unimportant - these fans are disgusting and they need to be treated. Still, I can understand that some may be annoyed by the aforementioned notion.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Reading this mornings papers I came across something posted on a cricket blog which I felt echoed sentiments similar to mine when I said

my anguish and my rage and hence my sarcasm is more when criticising the behaviour of Indians because I care for them more and would hate for them to be seen in poor light

John Cook who introduces himself on his blog as an "Australian cricket tragic" said this to justify his "ranting" (his words not mine) against the Australian players.

I'm interested in other teams but I'm passionate about what happens to our boys. I rejoice when they win but feel it like a gut punch when they lose and fume when they behave badly. As an Australian, I feel somewhat represented by our cricket team. When they carry on like drunken fratboys at the Champions Trophy, inspiring a few million people on the subcontinent to hate Australia, well, yes, I do feel a vested interest in their behaviour.

Interesting I thought. :)

Swervy

International Captain
Are you serious. When we lose we don't burn things.... and we're the disgrace?
Our coach is called Micky Auther by the way, and he took us all the way to number one. I'm sick of peole blaming the coach when the team is beaten, its such a cop out.

Sort your game out at home before picking on the other teams.

ooops....I sense something going over someones head here!!!

By the way..your number two now!!!:laugh:

pup11

International Coach
Guys i think a fan needs to be practical and realistic with his expectations from his team, now the Indian team just won 2 games out of 13 games outside the sub-continent since the WI tour.

So how realistic was it for an Indian fan to expect India to do well at the WC??

Though behaviour of Real Madrid and AS Roma fans is much worse than sub-continental fans.