• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's happening you guys !!

adharcric

International Coach
But thats not a defence is it? Its like trying to explain away the dark days of English football hooliganism by mentioing that the Italians and Dutch are just as bad.

English football recognised the situation and it has been worked on and the problem massively diminished.
He's not defending the behavior. He's merely saying that the Indian/Pakistani fans aren't really the worst of the lot so they shouldn't be the only ones criticized.

adharcric

International Coach
Anytime someone takes steps that are extreme and seperate to the norm course of action that the vast majority of fans would undertake.

It could be wierd or crazy like a football supporter getting the face of his favourite player tatooed on his chest or the paining of a donkey

It could be when people have too much national pride and self worth tied into a particular sporting event that they have zero control over and react badly ie the burning of effigies, destruction of property, protest marches etc.

Basically, anytime a sporting event leads to an emotional condition that makes people do things they wouldnt usually consider doing. eg the attacks on BMWs and Audis when England get beat at football by Germany.

The problem for me, playing with and talking with many Indians and Pakistanis is that the performance of the team is too tightly tied to the national pride and emotional well being for a large minority of fans.

No doubt there are incidents around the world that draw parallels (sp?) but Indian and Pakistani cricket kinda pulls it all together in a big group ie Riots, attacks, protests, burnings and as mentioned earlier suicide.

I would class all as unusual behaviour. By no means the only place where such incidents happen, but they do happen with a regularity that should be recognised as a problem
Totally agree.

open365

International Vice-Captain
He's not defending the behavior. He's merely saying that the Indian/Pakistani fans aren't really the worst of the lot so they shouldn't be the only ones criticized.
But i find that hard to belive, in cricket they are the worse, i'd like to heard of some other fans that have a worse record that India an Pakistan ones as well.

adharcric

International Coach
But i find that hard to belive, in cricket they are the worse, i'd like to heard of some other fans that have a worse record that India an Pakistan ones as well.
I was just trying to clarify Fusion's point. I disagree with it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Anytime someone takes steps that are extreme and seperate to the norm course of action that the vast majority of fans would undertake.

It could be wierd or crazy like a football supporter getting the face of his favourite player tatooed on his chest or the paining of a donkey

It could be when people have too much national pride and self worth tied into a particular sporting event that they have zero control over and react badly ie the burning of effigies, destruction of property, protest marches etc.

Basically, anytime a sporting event leads to an emotional condition that makes people do things they wouldnt usually consider doing. eg the attacks on BMWs and Audis when England get beat at football by Germany.

The problem for me, playing with and talking with many Indians and Pakistanis is that the performance of the team is too tightly tied to the national pride and emotional well being for a large minority of fans.

No doubt there are incidents around the world that draw parallels (sp?) but Indian and Pakistani cricket kinda pulls it all together in a big group ie Riots, attacks, protests, burnings and as mentioned earlier suicide.

I would class all as unusual behaviour. By no means not the only place where such incidents happen, but they do happen with a regularity that should be recognised as a problem
Right. Passion regarding a sporting team is okay where I am sitting. If passion leads to tatoos or protesting poor performances of the team without harming others, it isn't a problem. However, if passion is so deep that it leads to suicide, obviously, that passion is a problem as well.

The big issues are the following:

Riots, attacks, protests (violent), burnings and as mentioned earlier suicide.

I would not consider burning effigees an issue because it is expression without causing harm but you can and so let us talk regarding the other problems for a moment. We might disagree regarding effigees but it doesn't stop us from discussing the larger point at hand.

As I said earlier, cricket fans in India have a lot of problems and that other fans have problems (there are bigger, smaller, various degrees and nature of problems among various sports fans), it does not excuse the problems of the Indian/subcontinental sports fans and should be dealt with.

I would like to state specifically, though, that the problems are made out to be much larger than they actually are and I am not saying it because I am an Indian. I am saying it because I have lived in India and have seen things.

More often than not, when you hear crowd trouble stops a game, it is very small number of fans while most fans are well behaved. India has millions and millions of cricket fans. You will be surprised how many, despite feeling attached to cricket, do not indulge in violence and stuff.

Having said that, I repeat, the elements which cause problems like riots, attacks like ransacking Dhoni's house, and suicides must be dealt with and I don't see that any one is denying that among a minority, there is a problem. How large the problems are isn't important (apart from when executing the solving bit comes along). Problems have to be tackled, whether it is a minority crowd in a sadium in Australia throwing racist chants or Indian fans causing trouble. Problems should be dealt with and that is the important thing the way I see it.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India fan commits suicide

From correspondents in Kolkata
March 25, 2007

A CRICKET fan committed suicide while another died of a heart attack in India after watching their national team's crushing defeat to Sri Lanka in the World Cup match in the Caribbean, police said.

Upset over India's loss and after having an argument with his wife, 25-year-old farmer Mahadeb Sarkar hanged himself after the match in the village of Bajitpur in eastern state of West Bengal.

His wife, Sadhana, who was also upset about the defeat, tried to hang herself in another room, but she survived.

"While Mahadeb died instantly, the rope snapped in the other room and Sadhana fell in a heap, alarming her neighbours," said local police officer Kuntal Chatterjee.

The couple had an argument because Sarkar had gone ahead with plans to watch the match at a friend's house, while his wife had wanted him to stay home so they could watch the match together. In addition, they were upset over the defeat, police said.

India suffered a 69-run defeat in its crunch Group B match against Sri Lanka and its slim hopes of progressing now hinge on an unlikely defeat for Bangladesh by debutant Bermuda on Monday morning (AEDT).

In another incident, a 28-year-old man had a heart attack after watching the match at his home in a suburb of Hyderabad, the state capital of the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh.

His family said Raju, a die-hard fan of the cricket team, had suffered the heart attack because of the defeat on Friday.

Hundreds of angry cricket fans took to the streets burning effigies, defacing posters and held mock funeral processions of the national team after the defeat.

Agence France-Presse
TBH, good riddance. That's just Darwin weeding out the unfit.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Just a few incidents.

1987 Ahmebad and Nagpur- outfielders wearing helmets due to being continuously pelted with stones

1989 Karachi- Kapil attacked after a man scaled a wall

97-98- 5 Indains hit by stones in Ind v pak game and Tendulkar taking the Indians from the field

98-99- Crowd disruptions interrupting a test after Tendulkar was runout

1989- Srikkanth attacked by Pakistani fans

1997- Inzi going into the crowd

61-62- 2nd Test Eng vs India. Major crowd troubles

1969- England tour to Pakistan- Massive crowd troubles including the 3rd test abandoned due to riots

77-78- England tour of Pakistan- Marred by continual rioting and attacks on Police and property destruction

04-05- Players walk off the field in Ind-Pak game after massive crowd trouble forcing thousands of paramilitary to attend and Helicopter gunships to patrol the ground

1999- In Calcutta the game was forced to be played (Test vs Ind-Pak) in an empty stadium after disturbances.

Well thats just a few :)

Ill admit I haven't read it, but here is an article on Indias cricket hooligans. No idea if its from a reputable source or any good.
http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl1924/stories/20021206003810200.htm

Outside the West Indies (a place where there have been many riots) nowhere in the cricketing world has fans that behave in a similar fashion to the exteme Indian and Pakistani fans.
For every incident you mentioned, I can name an equal amount of fan disturbance in soccer if I combine two countries. The fact remains that even with such highly emotional fans, there is no need to separate the sides in cricket stadiums in Ind/Pak like they do in Soccer stadiums in England and elsewhere. And how about the States? Ever attended a game at Yankee Stadium? Or a football game in Philly? Fans there get assualted all the time. If they are not fighting each other, then they're pelting the field with batteries, snow, beer, or anything else they can get their hands on. Veterans stadium used to have a temporary jail within it for God's sake!

So am I justifying bad behavior with other bad behavior? No. I accept the fact that some Indian and Pakistani fans are guilty of bad behavior. I will even accept the fact that they're probably the worst in the cricket world. I think steps need to be taken to correct this problem. I will not accept, however, that the Ind/Pak fans are the worst in the sports world. Their antics do not compare to the level of violence demonstrated by other sports fans (specially in Soccer).

Lastly, like Pratyush mentioned, SJS was addressing the CW audience with his tongue-in-cheek comments. I find that specially unfair because the overwhelming majority of subcontinental posters on CW are not prone to extreme, knee-jerk behavior.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Look, I'm a diehard Eagles fan and I'd appreciate it if you don't insult us. We don't assault other fans, we simply introduce them to the concrete sidewalk.

FRAZ

International Captain
Look, I'm a diehard Eagles fan and I'd appreciate it if you don't insult us. We don't assault other fans, we simply introduce them to the concrete sidewalk.
Try n concrete us (The leafs) !!!! I have been wondering that you seem like the one in search of a righteous group of people !
Start praying man , every thing will settle down !

Dasa

FFS what a stupid thread. Agreed entirely with Fusion and Pratyush here, and don't really appreciate the self righteous tone of some in here.

FRAZ

International Captain
FFS what a stupid thread. Agreed entirely with Fusion and Pratyush here, and don't really appreciate the self righteous tone of some in here.
Yup and I dont understant that !
Has anyone noticed that west and South east vs south Asia threads last like for 2 years and with so sooooo many posts and repeat offenders are there to blame the color and then they hide it with saying that it's not racist or whatever !
Sick !

adharcric

International Coach
If that is directed at me, I'd appreciate you telling me straight up.

Dasa

Nah, not you. Didn't really notice anything wrong with your posts tbh. Referring to Goughy and the thread starter really.

Last edited: