• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 prospects in each country

C_C

International Captain
dont think so.
A prospect is a prospect because of his talent.
If his accomplishments are stunning, he should be in the team(barring presence of better players, ofcourse).

bryce

International Regular
the more games a player plays the better hand you get on whether they are a good prospect or not

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
C_C said:
dont think so.
A prospect is a prospect because of his talent.
If his accomplishments are stunning, he should be in the team(barring presence of better players, ofcourse).
Nope, a prospect is a prospect because it hasn't come to fruition.

C_C

International Captain
yeah but you can identify someone as a future star or future XI player based on talent.....

C_C

International Captain
yeah.
you call future stars to players who are young and have the talent to rise to the top.....if they have a whole lotta domestic games/stats to back em up, that means they arnt that young and arnt future stars....

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The most relevant prospects for India-
  • Gautam Gambhir
  • Dheeraj Jadhav
  • Vinit Indulkar
  • Y Venugopal Rao
  • Mahendra Singh Dhoni
  • Ramesh Powar
  • Joginder Sharma (A-team first)
  • Amit Bhandari
  • Gagandeep Singh
  • Avishkar Salvi

C_C

International Captain
interesting how you've left out Pathan.

PS: Powar is not a prospect IMO....atleast not for Tests. he is too old and will most likely never have a long ODI or Test career in the future.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
C_C said:
interesting how you've left out Pathan.

PS: Powar is not a prospect IMO....atleast not for Tests. he is too old and will most likely never have a long ODI or Test career in the future.
IF you have noticed, my list is made up of non-regular players.

Powar is not a prospect, and that's the mistake of the selectors. At one stage, he was running hot with bat and ball, and has powered Mumbai to three wins with good, intelligent spin bowling. He's not as negative as Harbhajan, nor does he make overstepping a habit like Murali Karthik. He's younger than Karthik and scores more runs- a lot more, which makes his position more relevant. He may only play for a maximum of four years, but they will be eventful, and good for the team.

It does not matter how old the player is, but how fast he can run, how long he can dive, how far he can slide, how long he will last on the field and how well he plays. Look at the Australian team, or even Englandor NZ. Many of their recent recruits are a lot older than most Indian fan-choice prospects. Yet they perform well. Age is not a criterion for selection, and should not be. Fitness, skill and relevance are.

C_C

International Captain
well from what little of i saw of Powar, his batting ability is not international standard....india doesnt need spinning allrounders, they need pace-allrounders as harbhajan can continue as a spinner for a long time and its pace department is where more development needs.

amit_s

Banned
india:

batsmen:

shikhar dhawan
ambati rayudu
suresh raina
yalaka venugopal rao
vinit indulkar

wicket-keepers:

mahendra nath dhoni
dinesh kartik

all-rounders:

joginder sharma

bowlers:

ss paul
gagandeep singh

Kent

State 12th Man
bryce said:
i think i can name quite a decent New Zealand list, i'll pick from players who are just starting to settle into first class cricket or making their way into it,
It's quite interesting trying to pick a NZ Under-25 team at the moment (all players born after 1/1/80). I've picked it for say a FC match, not a one-dayer.

I don't have Richard's impressive knowledge of cricketers worldwide, but it would be quite interesting to see people from other countries have a go at their own team. Of course it's quite a hard thing to attempt if you don't have some kind of almanac handy, with players often younger/older than you realised.

Jamie How (Central Districts)
Shanan Stewart (Canterbury)
Luke Woodcock (Wellington) SLA
Brendon McCullum (Canterbury) (c)†
Jesse Ryder (Wellington) RM
Rob Nicol (Auckland)
Ross Taylor (Central Districts)
James Franklin (Wellington) LMF
Bruce Martin (Northern Districts) SLA
Ian Butler (Northern Districts) RF
Richard Sherlock (Canterbury) RF

12th Man: BJ Watling (Northern Districts) †

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
good strong side Kent, the one problem i have is shannon stewart - i've just never thought he looked like the sort of person who would be able to foot it an international level, tim mcintosh misses out by 27 days so i cannot really think of an alternative other than andrew ellis who i think has a big future ahead of him

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Or maybe he had other things he wanted to do in life. Don't make assumptions about a man you doubtless don't know.
Maybe Liam.

But the way Richard phased it was that when he lost his spot he gave away up on cricket.

So therefore I defined him as a "weak loser".

Kent

State 12th Man
bryce said:
good strong side Kent, the one problem i have is shannon stewart - i've just never thought he looked like the sort of person who would be able to foot it an international level, tim mcintosh misses out by 27 days so i cannot really think of an alternative other than andrew ellis who i think has a big future ahead of him
Yeah, I'm yet to really watch Stewart bat, but he and Jamie How were the only openers that jumped out as guys born in the 80's. Of course if Watling replicates his Lincoln form he may get a chance to open at FC level, and still has plenty of years to make this side.

My team would be starting a bit of a rebuilding process if it existed in real life, with quite a few good players missing out by a few days or months. Papps, Fulton, McIntosh, Hamish Marshall, and a particularly crusty 25-year-old called Daniel Vettori. :p

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
C_C said:
well from what little of i saw of Powar, his batting ability is not international standard....india doesnt need spinning allrounders, they need pace-allrounders as harbhajan can continue as a spinner for a long time and its pace department is where more development needs.
Powar has displayed a lot more application than most other bowlers with the bat, and even some batsmen. The way he bats, he seems ready for a tough situation, and kows what to do. He's a hard hitter, which the team needs, and an intelligent batsman. Those two matches hardly give anybody any clue, but he has an average of 32 with a strike rate of 110.

If Harbhajan bowls the kind of rubbish we have seen him bowl in the recent past, he can be a major liability on the bowling side if he continues for a long time. He can bat a lot better than what his figures suggest, but he has shown little common sense as a batsman, and needs to work a lot harder on his batting to be a certainty in the side.

They need SOME all-rounders, spin or pace. Among pace all-rounders, there's Jai Prakash Yadav, but he's not in the best of form these days. There is Reetinder Singh Sodhi, but he's not yet refined and the same can be said of Joginder Sharma. Ramesh Powar has been performing very well with bat and ball for years, and is rated highly by the Times of India journalists, and even Imran Khan and Navjot Singh Sidhu for his temperament and application. He should have been playing since two years and he should walk into the team on present form. Even Sehwag should bowl more than just three overs a match- his bowlign figures improve when he bowls more than 8 overs.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is Ambati Rayudu such a hot prospect? He's only smashed weak Ranji attacks, but has failed against superior bowling teams such as Mumbai, Punjab and Baroda. In the 2003 Challenger Trophy, he opened the innigns twice and threw his bat recklessly at every ball that came, and ended with an average of less than 10. He has shown little application or temperament for a top-6.