• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Plunkett admits to drink driving

C_C

International Captain
Holy @#$% !!!!!! Holy Holy Holy !@#$#@$#@$@#$ !!!
Get a @#$%in taxi or public transit . It's not like I don't know how it is while being under influence . Bad is bad and it's a lame excuse to come up with . Law is a law . Well C_C I am so disappointed in you that I can't explain . You think it's a joke to be a jerk . I have seen some thing so horrible that I can't explain it over here . One stupid accident can haunt you for all of your life . If God Forbid you kill some one ,that sight and that guilt always remain in your brain and eyes. Don't just @#$% around with the key board in this manner . I am so so so disappointed . DO you have any idea, What is guilt" ? Have you ever been involved in such a case ??????????
No, i am not the 'law is the law' kind of person. As i said before many time, i use my brain before all- law or no law. In this case, the law is dumb because it won't let me drive after half a bottle of beer. Yes, accidents can happen anytime anywhwere but half a bottle of beer is not going to affect me even in the slightest - hell some nights i wish it did so that i could be a cheap drunk and save some money but usually i don't feel a thing before i down a pitcher.
The entire point is, if you know where your limit is and you are responsible enough, you can drink and drive your entire life without incident.
I've driven a few times when stoned outta my mind too and its not that bad really...so long as people don't try to get me to talk and drive at the same time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, i am not the 'law is the law' kind of person. As i said before many time, i use my brain before all- law or no law. In this case, the law is dumb because it won't let me drive after half a bottle of beer. Yes, accidents can happen anytime anywhwere but half a bottle of beer is not going to affect me even in the slightest - hell some nights i wish it did so that i could be a cheap drunk and save some money but usually i don't feel a thing before i down a pitcher.
The entire point is, if you know where your limit is and you are responsible enough, you can drink and drive your entire life without incident.
I've driven a few times when stoned outta my mind too and its not that bad really...so long as people don't try to get me to talk and drive at the same time.
You're so cool, I wish I was you

C_C

International Captain
You're so cool, I wish I was you
argh
Its not about coolness ! i am not a teen goddamnit.
Its all about knowing yourself and your limits. I know i am still 100% in control when i am stoned or had A SINGLE beer.
That is good enough for me, regardless of what the law states.

I'd sometimes drive to my friend's place for the hockey game, smoke a spliff, have a beer and drive back...the reason i don't consider it risky driving is because I am still 100% in control. A few of my friends i wouldnt get into a car with if they've been drinking- because they don't know their limit. A few of them do and i have no probs. being a passenger in their car even if they'd fail the breathalyzer test at that point.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
if you know your limits, that's fine, if you don't hurt anyone, in many ways, no harm done. I just don't think saying "I drive stoned all the time" or whatever on an internet forum is really a clever thing to do, personally.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I wish to God someone confiscates your license and you're not able to drive again before you kill someone. Your whole attitude about this is reprehensible. First you say that the laws are too strict. Then you point out that it doesn't matter to you anyway, because you've driven while being stoned. 8-) Drunk driving and drugs slow down your reaction time. There are countless statistics out there showing there is a direct correlation between being drunk and accidents. So many families and friends (including me) have lost people due to a drunk driving accident. Please stop justifying Plunkett's actions.

PY

International Coach
I wish to God someone confiscates your license and you're not able to drive again before you kill someone. Your whole attitude about this is reprehensible. First you say that the laws are too strict. Then you point out that it doesn't matter to you anyway, because you've driven while being stoned. 8-) Drunk driving and drugs slow down your reaction time. There are countless statistics out there showing there is a direct correlation between being drunk and accidents. So many families and friends (including me) have lost people due to a drunk driving accident. Please stop justifying Plunkett's actions.
Agreed.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
You have no idea how it affects you, you don't realise that your reaction times slows down do you?

C_C

International Captain
You have no idea how it affects you, you don't realise that your reaction times slows down do you?
Did i not tell you that i've personally timed myself in motion labs and shooting ranges after having a single bottle of beer and the reaction time isnt slowed by so much as even 0.1 seconds ??!?

I mean seriously - i drink on average twice a week with friends. Do you really think that A beer drunk at a normal pace would get me drunk or even feeling it ?!?

My essential point was not to support drunk driving but to merely state that drunk driving is not a function of simply getting busted by the cop for a particular Blood alcohol level. Rather, drunk driving is a personal decision based on knowing yourself and knowing where your limit is. So yes, i've driven quite often with my blood alcohol level higher than acceptable limits in Canada. But i've never driven drunk because i've never been less than full control (or as in control as one person in a road shared by many can be) of my senses.

And don't tell me i couldn't have known that : if you are driving and you are not in 100% control for whatever reason : exhaustion, tiredness, sleep depravation ,alcohol, pot, etc. you KNOW that you are not doing all fine !

Besides, i've never been in an accident (though i've driven off and on for a total of only two years in my life including current stint) of any sort and i can say that this whole reflex thing does not make any sense whatsoever.
You should not be driving based on your reflexes - wtf ! who the hell drives around regularly making reflex saves and reflex turns and whatnot ? Driving is about awareness. Ie, knowing what you are gonna do and what others are gonna do just before they do it. Not a reflex dodgeball game out there. As i said, if it down to reflex, it means one of two possible things : either you stuffed up or someone else stuffed up.

The thing is, with all this media talk about rules and regulations, people have lost the plot somewhat. They've missed out on the whole idea that drunk driving is about being drunk, not about having a particular blood alcohol level that's standard for everybody.
Hell, one girl i knew could do flamenco dancing after chugging a twenty-sixer of rum and not even faltering once ( she didnt get drunk. It'd be 'normal Jess---> Jess passes out after 2 litres of booze after 2 hrs. no inbetween drunken state'). Different people have different tolerance level and it affects people differently. Obviously the art of doing this is knowing just precisely how stuffed up you are and how much you have to compensate on the speed and distance factor. For eg,if i start driving after just 1 bottle of beer, i feel literally zero-nada, zilch. But i still drive on the highway at 90 instead of 110 and give myself an extra two second's breaking distance than normal.
And to be honest, there are tons and tons of people who are better than average drivers, never been in an accident or traffic misconduct and they'd be busted regularly for having higher than acceptable blood alcohol levels.

Just stop and think for a minute in practical real life terms instead of just being a MADD spokesperson. Sure, Plunkett broke a law, got dinged for it and thats that. But we don't even know how drunk he was - perhaps he was completely fine with tad high BAC. Ie, kinda harsh to see a scenario like this and go 'i've lost all total complete respect for this man. he is now scum'.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Just wondering, C_C, what is the legal BAC limit in Canada?
honestly- i dont know.
:laugh:

I've never been busted and i am a relatively new driver. I figure if a cop comes to my aid, i'd be toast because it'd be when some other tosser's smashed into my car, not the other way round.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Did i not tell you that i've personally timed myself in motion labs and shooting ranges after having a single bottle of beer and the reaction time isnt slowed by so much as even 0.1 seconds ??!?

I mean seriously - i drink on average twice a week with friends. Do you really think that A beer drunk at a normal pace would get me drunk or even feeling it ?!?

My essential point was not to support drunk driving but to merely state that drunk driving is not a function of simply getting busted by the cop for a particular Blood alcohol level. Rather, drunk driving is a personal decision based on knowing yourself and knowing where your limit is. So yes, i've driven quite often with my blood alcohol level higher than acceptable limits in Canada. But i've never driven drunk because i've never been less than full control (or as in control as one person in a road shared by many can be) of my senses.

And don't tell me i couldn't have known that : if you are driving and you are not in 100% control for whatever reason : exhaustion, tiredness, sleep depravation ,alcohol, pot, etc. you KNOW that you are not doing all fine !

Besides, i've never been in an accident (though i've driven off and on for a total of only two years in my life including current stint) of any sort and i can say that this whole reflex thing does not make any sense whatsoever.
You should not be driving based on your reflexes - wtf ! who the hell drives around regularly making reflex saves and reflex turns and whatnot ? Driving is about awareness. Ie, knowing what you are gonna do and what others are gonna do just before they do it. Not a reflex dodgeball game out there. As i said, if it down to reflex, it means one of two possible things : either you stuffed up or someone else stuffed up.

The thing is, with all this media talk about rules and regulations, people have lost the plot somewhat. They've missed out on the whole idea that drunk driving is about being drunk, not about having a particular blood alcohol level that's standard for everybody.
Hell, one girl i knew could do flamenco dancing after chugging a twenty-sixer of rum and not even faltering once ( she didnt get drunk. It'd be 'normal Jess---> Jess passes out after 2 litres of booze after 2 hrs. no inbetween drunken state'). Different people have different tolerance level and it affects people differently. Obviously the art of doing this is knowing just precisely how stuffed up you are and how much you have to compensate on the speed and distance factor. For eg,if i start driving after just 1 bottle of beer, i feel literally zero-nada, zilch. But i still drive on the highway at 90 instead of 110 and give myself an extra two second's breaking distance than normal.
And to be honest, there are tons and tons of people who are better than average drivers, never been in an accident or traffic misconduct and they'd be busted regularly for having higher than acceptable blood alcohol levels.

Just stop and think for a minute in practical real life terms instead of just being a MADD spokesperson. Sure, Plunkett broke a law, got dinged for it and thats that. But we don't even know how drunk he was - perhaps he was completely fine with tad high BAC. Ie, kinda harsh to see a scenario like this and go 'i've lost all total complete respect for this man. he is now scum'.
If we let everyone decide for themselves how much alcohol they can consume without impairing their driving skills, then we'd have a mess of accidents in our hands. Why have speeding laws? I can argue that I'm a perfectly safe driver even while going over 150 mph. So why should I be penalized for others not being able to handle the same speed as me? The answer is that human beings are fallible. They often make mistakes and do not realize their own limitations. Frankly, I do not know you and I can not trust your judgment that you can handle driving safe while being "totally stoned". Just because you haven't gotten into an accident yet doesn't mean it can't happen in the future. As for your comment about "who the hell drives regularly making reflex saves and turns", that is indeed needed from time to time. Sure it's not a normal occurrence, but if you are in an accident (or about to be in one), you have precious seconds to decide what to do. Drugs and alcohol take away those precious seconds, resulting in tragedy most of the time.

Lastly, people are being harsh on Plunkett not because he broke a law, but because of the nature of the law he broke. He was endangering other people's lives by driving drunk. Simple as that. That deserves scorn in my opinion.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
C_C said:
We do know, and he was 2x the BAC limit. And I agree with fusion above.

C_C

International Captain
They often make mistakes and do not realize their own limitations. Frankly, I do not know you and I can not trust your judgment that you can handle driving safe while being "totally stoned".
And i am not asking you to get into a car with me, am i ? for the record, unless i am 100% clean, i always notify the riders and my close friends who know me and have seen my driving style trust me enough to get into the car with me.
You'r talking about one rule for all which is hypothetical. In the real world, rules get bent and applied subjectively based on each and every individual's personal capabilities and judgement. That is the natural order of things so why protest that ? You telling me that, for example, if you've seen your dad routinely drive back after 1 or 2 shots of Vodka (above legal limit) but never ever get into an accident because he drives slower, more carefully and is perfectly aware of his limits, you'd treat him the same as a total stranger you don't know if he's gonna croak after 2 drinks or not ?!?

Well obviously it is a personal judgement call - thats the difference between reality and 'on paper'.
As per getting into an accident, i don't worry about accidents that arn't my doing. For i know the roads are not 100% safe and what i cannot control, i don't worry about. Yes, there are lots of blind corners and banking curves here where some lunatic comming from the other direction can totally mow you down. But thats a risk we take. But when you know your limit, you know just how much you have to compensate to make it 'just like normal' (hence i drive a wee bit slower even though i dont feel a THING different!).

And that is why i said, yes, he broke a rule on paper but in reality, we have no idea if he was in control or not. Totally personal judgement call IMO thats why i wont decry him flat out. For all i know, he could've been one of my former roommate, who's sense of balance after a bottle of vodka is better than my sense of balance when sober.
What i am trying to say here, is that drunk driving does not automatically equal 'above acceptable BAC levels' in reality, even though it is on paper. Like i said, there are ample times when i'd pass any conceivable reflex/balance test but fail the breathalyzer if tried on. Simply because i got decent tolerance to drinking and i can focus on a task well even when not in full faculties. Some are more than me, some are less than me. Doesn't matter. What matters is if i am going to drive, i should know precisely where and when i should stop drinking and how i'd compensate my driving to make sure there is no trouble from my end. Thats not overconfidence or anything, thats simply knowing "uh oh, i can't do this right now' and where that point is.
So cut the guy some slack.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
We do know, and he was 2x the BAC limit. And I agree with fusion above.
What we do not know is what 2x BAC means to him.
To my girlfriend, it is passout 'drooling idiot' category.
To me, it is 'i am tipsy..i am feeling it..heyy..how youu doin ' time.
To someone i know, its ' huh ? 2x BAC already ? wtf ? i don't feel it at all' time.

Ie, for different people, its different. How drunk you are varies a lot between people to people and it has a very big margin of varience in terms of blood alcohol level and particular behaviour.
Its more important to know your personal limit than going by the rulebook blindly.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm comfortable having three small bottles (330ml) of beer in 90 minutes then getting behind the wheel. No more than that though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've always worked on the "pint-and-a-half" principle.

I'm a big guy (6' 1" & about 15 stone) so could probably get away with more, but it's not just my life, without wishing to be too sanctimonious.

Fusion

Global Moderator
And i am not asking you to get into a car with me, am i ? for the record, unless i am 100% clean, i always notify the riders and my close friends who know me and have seen my driving style trust me enough to get into the car with me.
No, I'm not in the car with you, but I could be in another car in the same road with you. So while your friends may be ok with risking their lives while letting you drive under the influence, I am not. But I have no choice in the matter do I? So the only way to discourage this behavior is to have strict drunk driving laws.

What we do not know is what 2x BAC means to him.
To my girlfriend, it is passout 'drooling idiot' category.
To me, it is 'i am tipsy..i am feeling it..heyy..how youu doin ' time.
To someone i know, its ' huh ? 2x BAC already ? wtf ? i don't feel it at all' time.

Ie, for different people, its different. How drunk you are varies a lot between people to people and it has a very big margin of varience in terms of blood alcohol level and particular behaviour.
Its more important to know your personal limit than going by the rulebook blindly.
Since we don't know what being drunk means to different people, we have to have one uniform rule that everyone must follow. You say it's more important to know your personal limits. The sad reality is that people exceed that limit all the time and drive drunk. Not everyone likes to follow the rules. So again, we have to find a way to discourage this behavior. Having strict drunk driving laws accomplishes that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And you dont even have to be in a car. You could be walking down a sidewalk minding your ****ing business and some asshole who thinks he is withing 'his personal limit' loses control and slams into you, crushing your spine.

I'm out of this thread, I'm getting way too emotional. ****ing assholes, anyone who does it, that's all.

PY

International Coach
That deserves scorn in my opinion.
While I agree with most of what you say, is there any point where Plunkett is allowed to move on from doing something stupid?

What I've been trying to say is that it was a shocking thing that he did and if he was a mate of mine then he'd receive an absolute rocket for being a complete gimp BUT how do you know he isn't remorseful about what he did and realised that he was an idiot, thus learnt his lesson?

From BBC:

"I am deeply sorry for what I did and there is simply no excuse for it. I acted irresponsibly.

"I would also like to apologise to my family, friends, team mates and coaches for the embarrassment I have caused them.

"I accept that I am a role model, especially for youngsters, and for this reason I am particularly sorry about what happened.

"My cricket career is extremely precious to me and I am determined not to waste the amazing opportunity that I have been given."

Fusion

Global Moderator
While I agree with most of what you say, is there any point where Plunkett is allowed to move on from doing something stupid?

What I've been trying to say is that it was a shocking thing that he did and if he was a mate of mine then he'd receive an absolute rocket for being a complete gimp BUT how do you know he isn't remorseful about what he did and realised that he was an idiot, thus learnt his lesson?

From BBC:

"I am deeply sorry for what I did and there is simply no excuse for it. I acted irresponsibly.

"I would also like to apologise to my family, friends, team mates and coaches for the embarrassment I have caused them.

"I accept that I am a role model, especially for youngsters, and for this reason I am particularly sorry about what happened.

"My cricket career is extremely precious to me and I am determined not to waste the amazing opportunity that I have been given."
I'm certainly not condemning him for life, just saying that he deserves criticism. I'm countering the argument that "we don't know really how much drink he could handle so can't criticize him". He broke the law and deserved to be punished. As long as there is not another such incident from him, I bear no ill towards him.