• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bodyline - The Movie (1984)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yep. I loved it as well. It is not brilliant but it is good neverthless. It is far from perfect but whatever. There was a new bodyline movie in the works and Russell Crowe was to play Woodfull - because of which I was pretty excited about it. Russell Crowe's IMDB page doesn't show it now so not sure what has happened regarding that.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Watched it some time ago and it was shockingly bad, clichés galore and the English were nothing more than patronizing caricatures. Given the shows tin pot budget you shouldn’t expect much but it’s not even entertaining, the cricket segments on Neighbours with Boyd were more authentic and believable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I saw it as a little 'un & absolutely loved it. As Arch says a few corners have been smoothed for the sake of drama, which is what it is. It doesn't purport to be a documentary. I would like to get hold of a DVD, but I don't think it's ever been released on the UK's format.

Actually, here's a question for the more technologically minded out there: if I bought an Australasian region DVD could I watch it on my computer?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I saw it as a little 'un & absolutely loved it. As Arch says a few corners have been smoothed for the sake of drama, which is what it is. It doesn't purport to be a documentary. I would like to get hold of a DVD, but I don't think it's ever been released on the UK's format.

Actually, here's a question for the more technologically minded out there: if I bought an Australasian region DVD could I watch it on my computer?
Should do, all of my R1 DVD's work on my computer, no added programs just straight onto WMP.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep. I loved it as well. It is not brilliant but it is good neverthless. It is far from perfect but whatever. There was a new bodyline movie in the works and Russell Crowe was to play Woodfull - because of which I was pretty excited about it. Russell Crowe's IMDB page doesn't show it now so not sure what has happened regarding that.
There you go, never mind F. Bulsara = D. Brumby, we've got R. Crowe = W. Woodfull!

Though wouldn't it be better if they made a film about a New Zealand team of the 1980s starring said actor?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Supposedly the Crowe film is going to be very Hollywood (though the chances of the film being made are rather slim). But if it does occur, historical inaccuracies will no doubt be rife and like the TV series the English will be portrayed as pompous prats (played by Rupert Everett and Joseph Fiennes).

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Supposedly the Crowe film is going to be very Hollywood (though the chances of the film being made are rather slim). But if it does occur, historical inaccuracies will no doubt be rife and like the TV series the English will be portrayed as pompous prats (played by Rupert Everett and Joseph Fiennes).
Ha! :D

We're on the same page, I was thinking his brother for DRJ. Has that aristocratic haughty thing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seen it?

I was in it!

Well the cricket scenes were filmed at my club's home ground and a few of us were used as extras in a couple of the circket scenes - an incredibly boring experience that entailed a lot of sitting around whilst a bunch of completely unco-ordinated tossers worked out which end of the bat to hold

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Seen it?

I was in it!

Well the cricket scenes were filmed at my club's home ground and a few of us were used as extras in a couple of the circket scenes - an incredibly boring experience that entailed a lot of sitting around whilst a bunch of completely unco-ordinated tossers worked out which end of the bat to hold
Still, that's enough about the English cricket team in the mid80's.

Actually, I do remember it being shown in England prior to the 1985 series. It was fun, but a massively stereotypical version of noble & plucky Australians coming unstuck against dastardly upperclass Englishmen. A cricketing version of Braveheart, or that other Mel Gibson tosh about the American war of indepedence, IIRC.

Did it contain a clip of the English wk standing up to Larwood, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mid-'80s or late (1986-1989) '80s?

Slow Love™

International Captain
:laugh:

I saw this many years ago - it was in the mid-80's, so it might have been when it was first screened. I was only around 14 or so then and I found it fairly educational. It's a bit over earnest and IIRC it played to a lot of the simplistic class stereotypes that The Club did (mind you they were a lot more valid back in that era), but it lacks a real solid performance like Kennedy delivered in the footy movie. Also, I've always found Gary Sweet to be really irritating, though he was pretty funny in Stingers. Doesn't pop anybody in the forehead in this one though. Hugo Weaving isn't too bad as Jardine.

Good introduction to the history, really. I can see a lot of people rushing out to get a book or doco on Bodyline after they've watched it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hopefully, given what's been said on here (ie the film being a touch on the rubbish side in terms of cricketing knowledge demonstrated) first-impressions not counting for too much!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
havn't seen any cricket films in my life, really want to :(
I watched inspector Lynly or summat resolve the murder of a Test cricketer..that was alright..

but I guess the chances of me watching the bodyline film are slim to none.