Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: How come English can't bat?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfires_Fan View Post
    I would be very surprised if Pietersen and Cook didn't maintain an average of close to, if not over 50 throughout the vast majority of their test careers. That will be due in part to a lower level of quality bowling that they'll have to face, but also comes down to the fact that for my money, they're the two best batsmen England have produced in a long time.
    They have the potential to have better averages than anyone for a long time... whether they're actually better than the Gooches, Athertons and Gowers can't really be known for certain unless there's an increase in the quality of the bowling. Cook certainly strikes me as someone who might well be, and Pietersen it's not inconceivable.

But it can't be known for certain if the bowling remains as poor as it has been the last 6 years.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

For some reason, our players seem to do really well at say county level but when it comes to International they go to pot. Look at Graeme(sp?) Hick, he's made 100 First Class 100's and hardly did anything for England. I don't know why it happens.. it just does.
    February 10th 2009 <3
    Rest In Peace Fardin
    Rest In Peace Sazza

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The only thing he did was got a sensational series out of Flintoff and Jones... one single series...
    Flintoff had more than just one series...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

State Vice-Captain Spitfires_Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They have the potential to have better averages than anyone for a long time... whether they're actually better than the Gooches, Athertons and Gowers can't really be known for certain unless there's an increase in the quality of the bowling. Cook certainly strikes me as someone who might well be, and Pietersen it's not inconceivable.

But it can't be known for certain if the bowling remains as poor as it has been the last 6 years.
    Yeah, that's definitely a fair comment. Also adds weight to the argument that statistics only tell half the story (if that).

I don't know enough about batting technique to say if Pietersen's all round technical ability is up there with the best or not, but I have never seen anyone take such a big stride down the wicket and dominate fast bowlers in the way that he does. There's something quite mesmeric about watching him willingly walk down the trackt towards a guy hurling a hard red ball at him at close to 90mph and spearing it through the midwicket region.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Flintoff had more than just one series...
    Indeed, but you'd have to be a complete numpty to suggest that 2005 wasn't like nothing else he's ever bowled like.

He'd never bowled that well before and never has again since.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfires_Fan View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely a fair comment. Also adds weight to the argument that statistics only tell half the story (if that).

I don't know enough about batting technique to say if Pietersen's all round technical ability is up there with the best or not, but I have never seen anyone take such a big stride down the wicket and dominate fast bowlers in the way that he does. There's something quite mesmeric about watching him willingly walk down the trackt towards a guy hurling a hard red ball at him at close to 90mph and spearing it through the midwicket region.
    Hayden's been doing it for 5-6 years, tbh. And an old codger like McGrath has never broken his rib

I think Pietersen suffers in some quarters coz he's not a classical looking batsman. He's tall, and a tall guy playing the same shot as a more compact player can sometimes look gangly or awkward by comparison (all things such as this being relative). His cover drive looks great but you wouldn't say he's a Gower or M Waugh as a sweet timer - not that there are many of them, but you catch my drift - more a bludgeoner of the ball. Yet he's damn effective and is England's best batsman by the length of thr straight with a leg in the air. His technique, when you break it down, is really pretty good, but it just doesn't look as good as some others. Look at Dravid playign a defensive shot and it's out of the text book. Look at KP and it's not as elegant, but when the ball hits bat the head is still, the balance is there and there isn't often a gap between bat and pad.
    Last edited by Burgey; 28-05-2007 at 07:26 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Hayden's been doing it for 5-6 years, tbh. And an old codger like McGrath has never broken his rib
    Didn't face McGrath, though, did he...?

Yet he's damn effective and is England's best batsman by the length of thr straight with a leg in the air.
    TBH, I really wouldn't say there's much if anything between him and Cook. Bit like Hussey and Ponting with Australia.

Fair to say the ECB are in agreement with Tragic to some extent, hence their adopting of a seven-year residence period for anyone looking to qualifying as "English" if they move from another test nation after the age of eighteen, which I'm sure I saw called "Pietersen's Law" somewhere. It's obvious they don't trust the selectors not to pick them if left to their own devices.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    what's with all the **** threads
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Because people can see 5 1/2 years into the future....
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Nah, dig post been deleted.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Nah, dig post been deleted.
    Aah, ok.

Haha great example of there needing to be something said immediately when a post is deleted in a thread. Was totally "Wtf Marcuss?" when I saw his was the first post since 2007. Thought he had gone bonkers.

Why was the post deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread Information