• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Australians

oz_fan

International Regular
Tough draw for both. I'm going to go with Grimmett. He had a superb bowling record (7 ten wicket matches and averaged 6 wkts per test).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Grimmett is one of the three greatest leg spinners of all time. Hayden isnt one of the top three openers :)

Grimmett for me.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would Hayden make an All-time Aus XI? Probably
Would Grimmett make an All-time Aus XI? No

Hayden

Hayden may possibly have been the best Aussie batsman over the Australian long term domination of World cricket. Thats nothing to be sneezed at.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Grimmett is one of the best leggies ever but he would stuggle to make an all-time Aussie XI witht the likes of Warne, O'Reilly & Benaud around. Australia have produced some solid openers, but i think Hayden is one of the most dominant & would make an all-time if not now by the end of his career, plus he is one of my favourite current players, so big Matt for me.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Would Hayden make an All-time Aus XI? Probably
Would Grimmett make an All-time Aus XI? No

Hayden

Hayden may possibly have been the best Aussie batsman over the Australian long term domination of World cricket. Thats nothing to be sneezed at.
no he would come after both stephen waugh & ricky ponting....

as for this battle, grimmett

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
no he would come after both stephen waugh & ricky ponting....

as for this battle, grimmett
"May possibly" is inclusive of the fact that others may also lay claim to the title.

However, Hayden is severely underrated on this forum.

Waugh has the 23nd highest test ranking in history with Ponting and Hayden being 8th and 9th respectively.

http://www.lgiccrankings.com/test/batting/all-time-ranking.php

Hayden is the ONLY player to score over 1000 runs in 5 consecutive calendar years EVER. Waugh never did it once. Lara is the closest with 3 consecutive years and 5 in total.

In a 5 year period he played 66 test matches and scored 24 centuries. Very difficult to match. Ponting and Waugh can't.

The shortest period in which Waugh scored 24 tons is 9 years and for Ponting 6 years.

He has far fewer not outs, which affect his average due to the fact he is an opener.

Im not saying he is better or more important than Waugh or Ponting, what I am saying is that a case can be made for it and that he is far better than he is given credit for.

He should not be automatically dismissed from inclusion into the Waugh, Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid, Kallis class of player.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
"May possibly" is inclusive of the fact that others may also lay claim to the title.

However, Hayden is severely underrated on this forum.

Waugh has the 23nd highest test ranking in history with Ponting and Hayden being 8th and 9th respectively.

http://www.lgiccrankings.com/test/batting/all-time-ranking.php

Hayden is the ONLY player to score over 1000 runs in 5 consecutive calander years. Waugh never did it once.

In a 5 year period he played 66 test matches and scored 24 centuries. Very difficult to match. Ponting and Waugh can't.

The shortest period in which Waugh scored 24 tons is 9 years and for Ponting 6 years.

He has far fewer not outs, which affect his average due to the fact he is an opener.

Im not saying he is better or more important than Waugh or Ponting, what I am saying is that a case can be made for it and that he is far better than he is given credit for.

He should not be automatically dismissed from inclusion into the Waugh, Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid, Kallis class of player.
his stats are very impressive and i am not deriding his worth to the side but waugh was just a grittier, more determined player and ponting just that much more talented....and i do not think he belongs in the list of players you quoted above....hell, i don't think kallis belongs in that list....

Loots

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
PhoenixFire said:
Hayden

Massively underated because of a poor Ashes series.
Indeed, his performances in the next series against the West Indies proved that he is still an exceptionally talented batsman.

Hayden.