• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

uvelocity

International Coach
I'm sure it's been said before, but bats too. A half arsed drive not to the pitch of the ball much more likely to go over the top these days.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the topic though, that sort of **** is really interesting to me. The evolution of batting craft has always been an area of fascination for me.

I'd think almost certainly it was a result of the pitches. Driving a ball that wasn't a half volley back then was always fraught with danger because there was a propensity for it to hold up in the wicket, whereas today the pitches are far truer, and you can simply drive through the ball with relative surety that the ball would have a regulation speed and bounce to it.

Having slower pitches simply allows one more time to sit on the back foot and hit it along the ground.
It's an interesting series to watch because these aren't just snippets of wickets taken and milestones reached. It's an extended set of highlights so you get to notice a lot of that stuff. One thing I found was how those blokes dealt with balls which misbehaved - in his 130 odd you could see Lawry (and others in their knocks) almost take his bottom hand off the bat as they turned balls off their hips - it seemed they were conditioned to ride the bounce and play with much softer hands than today.

Another, albeit obvious point is that the bats they used in those days look like toothpicks compared with the ones they use today. (Edit: as the uvemeister noted).

Only down side is Brendan Julian narrates. I get the impression that to him "history of the game" means the result of last week's Perth-Adealide T20, but I may be wrong.

Last edited:

Bouncer

State Regular
Hey Rob,

Just noticed that you put a clip of Lee bowling to Razzaq from 02 in Sharjah, Are you warming up to get to this request from me from last May?

Hey Rob,

Just noticed you posted a clip from Sharjah (Pak/Aus 2002) of ponting vs sami, Man I would looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove to see the inning of Hayden, the one he played under scorching heat of UAE, against us.

and if you think that I couldn't be more happier, you can try uploading that inning, ball by ball....I'd surpise you!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hahaha I remember that match. So awesome.

Need to televise more celebrity matches imo.
Need to see Pollock's batting from that match. Was a great knock anyway but so sad when he really got into stride and people started to remember that the reason many of them hadn't seen him before was because he only got to play 20-odd Tests.

Last edited: