• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Re-Vote for # 2 Opener 1986-2006 (Previous Poll Tied)

Vote Off for the # 2 Opener between 1986-2006

• Anwar

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Sehwag

Votes: 30 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fusion

Global Moderator
I think Anwar should go through, seeing that he has accumalated the most votes between the two polls. And of course this has nothing to do with the fact that I like him more! :ph34r: Wow, we were just selecting the openers and we had such a close race. Imagine when we get to the middle order, allrounder(s), the quicks, and GASP, the
spinner(s)! This may go on for a year or so! :blink:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sehwag scores more runs at a faster rate, a better average and with more centuries and a phenomenal conversion rate. Why is this poll tied?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
JBH001 said:
Because Anwar was the better batsman (so far) and people recognised that.
I suppose you are right. Scoring less at a lower average at a lower speed with a smaller conversion clearly points to him being a better batsman.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Subject to Bagapath's confirmation, (as he is the thread starter) I consider that Anwar should go through based on a count back of all votes between the two Opener Polls.

This count back system will also work well on the new approach decided on the main thread (i.e. we'll have a prelimanary Poll whereby the top 4 will go into a selection Poll; If the selection Poll is then tied, whoever got the most votes in the preliminary Poll will be declared the winner)

btw, Hayden is locked in as the # 1 Opener by a landslide margin and there's no way he should have to go back into a three-way vote with Anwar & Sehwag as suggested by some :-O

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
aussie tragic said:
Subject to Bagapath's confirmation, (as he is the thread starter) I consider that Anwar should go through based on a count back of all votes between the two Opener Polls.

This count back system will also work well on the new approach decided on the main thread (i.e. we'll have a prelimanary Poll whereby the top 4 will go into a selection Poll; If the selection Poll is then tied, whoever got the most votes in the preliminary Poll will be declared the winner)

btw, Hayden is locked in as the # 1 Opener by a landslide margin and there's no way he should have to go back into a three-way vote with Anwar & Sehwag as suggested by some :-O
hey aussie tragic. i guess anwar should go through as you suggest since he has garnered more votes. however, it is a personal disappointment since i would have preferred gooch, sehwag and smith ahead of him. but well, more forum members prefer anwar. so lets go for it.

on to no.3. i am sure its going to be more fun from now on until we get to the spinners where the results are quite obvious even without a poll :)

Perry Mason

Cricket Spectator
Personally I think thats a poor decision to award it to Anwar based on the results of the first poll. I've gone through that thread now, and it seems to me that almost all the Indians on that thread favoured Hayden as the #1 opener, while the Pakistanis (I assume from their other posts on the forum) were in favour of Anwar. It was only when Hayden was removed from the equation that the Indians shifted allegiance to Sehwag. Which suggests bias on the part of the Pakistanis in the poll for the #1 opener to me.

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Perry Mason said:
Personally I think thats a poor decision to award it to Anwar based on the results of the first poll. I've gone through that thread now, and it seems to me that almost all the Indians on that thread favoured Hayden as the #1 opener, while the Pakistanis (I assume from their other posts on the forum) were in favour of Anwar. It was only when Hayden was removed from the equation that the Indians shifted allegiance to Sehwag. Which suggests bias on the part of the Pakistanis in the poll for the #1 opener to me.
Ok firstly how do you know all the Pakistanis voted for Anwar? Secondly what you call bias might be considered patriotism by some :happy: .

R_D

International Debutant
I don't get one thing tho.. When People say Sehwag hasn't faced many great attacks and pitches are flatter these days etc... Which is fair enough. Wonder why the same logic wasn't applied to Hayden. How did he win it so easy.

Perry Mason

Cricket Spectator
StumpMic said:
Ok firstly how do you know all the Pakistanis voted for Anwar? Secondly what you call bias might be considered patriotism by some :happy: .
I went by those who posted their comments in the thread. And if patriotism/bias (tomatoe-tomatoh) are to be factors in an exercise as this, its a futile exercise.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
Sehwag scores more runs at a faster rate, a better average and with more centuries and a phenomenal conversion rate. Why is this poll tied?
Because he's also had far more batsman friendly conditions and faced overall weaker bowling.

bagapath

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Can I suggest that this team has 2 spinners in it please...
that was always the plan marc. please see the original thread "Playing selector: Lets pick the best test XI of the past two decades"

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
the polls closed but I woulda voted for anwar. I certainly think he's a winner in all sorts. I'd think twice about having sehwag on my team then anwar.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
Because he's also had far more batsman friendly conditions and faced overall weaker bowling.

But their stats aren't even close. If you are going to use that argument, then no batsman of the 2000's is even close to the top batsmen of the 90's. You are basically saying Azharuddin is better than Ponting, because its the same argument when comparing Anwar vs. Sehwag.

I can see awarding Anwar the opening batsmanship if their stats were similar, but its not even close.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
They aren't that far apart, especailly when you look down their higher scores and see how many runs there were in those matches...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but (to play Devil's Advocate for a moment) if that's the case, not only is Anwar > Sehwag, Anwar > Hayden too. Both have feasted on poor bowline line-ups and flat pitches. At least Sehwag has had to play McGrath and Warne.