• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Re-Vote for # 2 Opener 1986-2006 (Previous Poll Tied)

Vote Off for the # 2 Opener between 1986-2006

• Anwar

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Sehwag

Votes: 30 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R_D

International Debutant
Perry Mason said:
Considering that Anwar played just 6 tests more than Sehwag already has, could you outline exactly what he has achieved that Sehwag has yet to ?
When you look at both their records. They look quiet similar but the number of 50's scored are quite high for Anwar than Sehwag. Which shows Anwar has been much more consistent overall than Sehwag and Sehwag has really cashed in when he's got going. Which could be due to the poor bowlers and flat pitches so once a batsman is set, chances of him going are pretty low.
Where's in the 90's Anwar had to face some great bowlers and even though you might be set with a score in 50's or 60's but they may just pull a great delivery to send you back to the pavilion.

Bouncer

State Regular
I think it has to be anwar because he had the ability to score runs against any oponent in any conditions.

he is more of stylish player too

More likely to play both attacking and defensive cricket so can adopt to conditions easily.

No Offense to Indians but We need an opener who can score runs in second innings too, thats why we need Anwar and not Sehwag.:) coz last time i checked Sehwag is like another Agarkar in 2nd innings

My personal all time batting line up for 90's would have as openers two of these players Mike Atherton, Saeed and Slater.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They would make an excellent opening pair (Sehwag and Anwar). However, Hayden is/was better than either of them...so you can't really boot him.

adharcric

International Coach
If this does turn out to be a tie, I think we should have a three-way race between Hayden, Sehwag and Anwar where everyone gets two votes. Hopefully there'll be someone who hates Hayden and breaks the tie. Or not ...

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
They would make an excellent opening pair (Sehwag and Anwar). However, Hayden is/was better than either of them...so you can't really boot him.
Maybe we could bat Matty at # 3 :happy:

Just kidding, so for all of the people that havn't voted yet, you've goty about 24 hours to vote a clear winner so that we can move onto # 3 which should produce an even more exciting contest between Lara, Ponting and Dravid....of course being an aussie maybe Deano and Boonie might figure (somehow, I don't think so) 8-)

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Maybe we could bat Matty at # 3 :happy:

Just kidding, so for all of the people that havn't voted yet, you've goty about 24 hours to vote a clear winner so that we can move onto # 3 which should produce an even more exciting contest between Lara, Ponting and Dravid....of course being an aussie maybe Deano and Boonie might figure (somehow, I don't think so) 8-)

For #3, can you post a poll with five people max? I think it just clutters thing up. I mean, the chances of anyone besides the top five winning, is basically nill.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Look at Sehwag's conversion rate and his average compared to Anwar ? That is one of the best conversion rates the game has seen.

I'd take Sehwag over Anwar. I'm always wary when comparing a player from yesteryear against a current one. Usually what happens is a person's stature increases after they retire and sometimes can get rated better than they actually were.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
R_D said:
Sehwag has really cashed in when he's got going. Which could be due to the poor bowlers and flat pitches so once a batsman is set, chances of him going are pretty low.
Depends which way you look at it. It could also show that Sehwag is mentally tougher than Anwar as he has gone on with the job more frequently than Anwar.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hodgo7 said:
Look at Sehwag's conversion rate and his average compared to Anwar ? That is one of the best conversion rates the game has seen.

I'd take Sehwag over Anwar. I'm always wary when comparing a player from yesteryear against a current one. Usually what happens is a person's stature increases after they retire and sometimes can get rated better than they actually were.
Or what happens is people are more favourably looked at as they're most recent in peoples' minds.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Neil Pickup said:
Or what happens is people are more favourably looked at as they're most recent in peoples' minds.

I think that the stature definatly grows, because people tend to remember the greatness, and they are almost put into the 'legend' category, whereas current players are constantly reminding us of their last defeat.