• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Politics in Cricket: was ganguly right to critisise Dalmiya?

Nishant

International 12th Man
On the 17th December, Dalmiya said that he wanted Ganguly in the national side. Now Ganguly is saying that it was Dalmiya's influence that has left him out of the side. I think thats harsh! Any views?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As a long time Ganguly Fan and his supporter during all this, I feel dissapointed that he has done this. This seriously harms his credibility and I am inclined to believe that he can not be trusted with his political games. Also now I am inclined to believe all those stories of him playing politics to keep himself in the team micht actually be true. Sourav's brother (Snehashish) has been planning to contest election against Dalmiya's group @ CAB and his group needs this sort of scandal to defame Dalmiya In order to have a chance to win the election.

Sourav has accused Dalmiya of leaking his email to the media and now a Bengal sports minister comes out in support of Dalmiya by saying "Ganguly's allegations are not correct. I can say with full responsibility that those, against whom he has made the allegation, did not leak the mail,"

http://www.ndtv.com/sports/cricket/showstory.asp?id=29405
Meanwhile

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Another Interview of the Bengal Sports Minister :-

"Sourav Ganguly no longer needs Jagmohan Dalmiya. He has got someone else to go ahead and so he has passed these comments against him....certainly an opportunist. In order to fulfil own dreams and ambitions, some people just don’t give much importance to ethics. These people just take the chances as they present themselves. These people can use a trusted as a ladder to return to light from darkness. You can call it something like this.."

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nishant said:
On the 17th December, Dalmiya said that he wanted Ganguly in the national side. Now Ganguly is saying that it was Dalmiya's influence that has left him out of the side. I think thats harsh! Any views?
This is not about the national side. This is about taking control of the CAB (Cricket Association of Bengal) currently under Dalmiya's control and being contested by some persons close to the former skipper.

It is also being rumoured that helping to get Dalmiya out of the CAB (presently one of the major opponents in India of the new dispensation now in control of BCCI) may pave the way for Ganguly's return. Well...well....well. If that is the case here is another blot on the Indian cricket establishment old or new.:mellow:

Beleg

International Regular
Jono,

you should try viewing it from an outsider's prespective. It's more amusing then Yes Minister!

FRAZ

International Captain
My 2 cents !!!!!!!!! Ganguly is a chapter from the old class. Forget him . He is done . Over... Although a good ODI player at times.Overall not needed in the team at all .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FRAZ said:
My 2 cents !!!!!!!!! Ganguly is a chapter from the old class. Forget him . He is done . Over... Although a good ODI player at times.Overall not needed in the team at all .

Thats a bit harsh. Ganguly in his prime formed one half of the most destructive opening partnership in ODI cricket. He was an all time great ODI player (much better than 'good'), he was a very good test player as well. But more importantly it was under his leadership in test matches, that India took the biggest steps forward. He was by far our best captain in a long long time.

Think what you will about his recent antics, and his exclusion from the team...but he was a great player for India and an even better captain. In fact, I agree with you that his time is over and we should all move on. But we don't need to belittle his achievements to do that. Its not fair to him, and its not fair to Indian cricket.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
So, does this increase or further hurt Ganguly's chances of coming back to the team? It would be very sad now if he returns, because it wouldn't be on merit, as we saw his form in the English county season.

Fusion

Global Moderator
pug said:
So, does this increase or further hurt Ganguly's chances of coming back to the team? It would be very sad now if he returns, because it wouldn't be on merit, as we saw his form in the English county season.

After all that has happened, I for one would be shocked if Ganguly ever returns to the National side.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
I rather recall something in the media about a WB minister promising to get Ganguly back in the side.

Like Jono said, I'm washing my hands off of cricket politics.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
FRAZ said:
Just give it a rest mate..

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
silentstriker said:
Thats a bit harsh. Ganguly in his prime formed one half of the most destructive opening partnership in ODI cricket. He was an all time great ODI player (much better than 'good'), he was a very good test player as well. But more importantly it was under his leadership in test matches, that India took the biggest steps forward. He was by far our best captain in a long long time.

Think what you will about his recent antics, and his exclusion from the team...but he was a great player for India and an even better captain. In fact, I agree with you that his time is over and we should all move on. But we don't need to belittle his achievements to do that. Its not fair to him, and its not fair to Indian cricket.
Well said..

I still support him.. He is also the most successful captain India ever produced..