• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Elegant and Smooth XI

Xuhaib

International Coach
Here I am back with one of my favourite topics which is trying to come up with variety of XI's, hopefully this will not be as controversial as the previous one:) .

My team
1.S. Anwar
2.M.Attapatu
3.B.Lara
4.M.Yousuf.
5.M.Waugh
6.G.Sobers (c)
7.Rashid Latif (For his smooth keeping not batting)
8.W.Akram
9.B.Bedi
10.M.Holding
11.A.Donald

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
G Vishwanath
Zaheer Abbas
Md. Azharuddin,
Mark Waugh
David Gower
Greg Chapell
Ian Healy
Michael Holding
Glen Mcgrath
Bishen Bedi
Courtney Walsh

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I wouldn't classify Lara as smooth, I always thought he was the opposite. Rigid and rough in his strokes, yet utterly brilliant at the same time.

This is mine based on players I've watched first hand.

Anwar
Atapattu
Yousuf
Tendulkar
M Waugh
Azzah
Healy (If this is mainly based on keeping, his batting wasn't smooth, but neither is Gilly's, Sanga's, Akmal's etc.)
Akram (c)
Warne
Donald
McGrath

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I actually would not have Wasim in the team. IMO, as great as he was, he was hardly smooth. He bustled in of a short run, exploded at the crease and whipped his arm over.

As I see it Elegant and Smooth implies doing a lot without looking like you are trying and Akrams action and runnup was too intense for him to make my list.

Of the top of my head, how about Ambrose? He almost walked in and then smoothly used those long levers to propel the ball at pace.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's a fair point, he's not comparable to McGrath or Donald due to his fast arm action. I guess the fact that he didnt have such a long run up yet bowled at fairly fast speeds gives the impression of a smooth bowler, but his fast arm action contradicts that.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Jono said:
I wouldn't classify Lara as smooth, I always thought he was the opposite. Rigid and rough in his strokes, yet utterly brilliant at the same time.

Anwar
Atapattu
Yousuf
Tendulkar
M Waugh
Azzah
Healy (If this is mainly based on keeping, his batting wasn't smooth, but neither is Gilly's, Sanga's, Akmal's etc.)
Akram (c)
Warne
Donald
McGrath
I always considered Lara as elegant, his whip of the hips and his effortless six hitting of quality spinners.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Jono said:

Anwar
Atapattu
Yousuf
Tendulkar
M Waugh
Azzah
Akram (c)
Warne
Donald
McGrath
Yea man he was an ugly ugly batsman though quite efficent but never pleasing to the eye.

FRAZ

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
Razzaq batting = elegant :laugh:
Who else can stop the lightening fast balls with so ease and who else in the world can hit 5 consecutive and elegant boundries to Mcgrath (who is under-rated):) .

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Martin Crowe has made no-ones list why? He was the most natural timer of a cricket ball I've ever seen. He could literally push balls into a gap and pick up a boundary for it, and that's without the advantage of modern-day bats.

And if Richard Hadlee doesn't have an "elegant and smooth" bowling action then I don't know who does.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
G Vishwanath
Zaheer Abbas
Md. Azharuddin,
Mark Waugh
David Gower
Greg Chapell
Ian Healy
Michael Holding
Glen Mcgrath
Bishen Bedi
Courtney Walsh
Replace Healy with Bari Plzz and Chaps with Vengsarkar Plzz..
Have a good day plzzz

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Hmm, Michael Holding eptomises elegance for me. It's good to see people thought to include him.
Whispering Death y'all.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
FRAZ said:
Who else can stop the lightening fast balls with so ease and who else in the world can hit 5 consecutive and elegant boundries to Mcgrath (who is under-rated):) .
I love Razzaq's hitting in the slog overs it is effortless and clean but it is not pretty in Yousuf or Inzi mould.

archie mac

International Coach
All Time Australian aesthetic 11

Victor Trumper
Archie Jackson
Greg Chappell
Stan McCabe
Mark Waugh
Norm O'Neil
Don Tallon (wk)
Ray Lindwall
Shane Warne (c)