Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resting Top Players - Fair to fans ?

Resting Top Players - Fair to fans ?

Rahul Dravid has beed rested for 2 ODIs in the ongoing India-England 7 match series. I understand India has won the series, but is it really fair to the cricket fans ? If I am spending 100 bucks, I would be really upset if I am deprived of watching our best cricketers in action for no reason.

Also why should the fans pay the same price for the tickets, if they have to watch India A or India B team in action. Lastly, Would they have dropped Dravid, if these matched were to be held @ venues like Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Rahul Dravid has beed rested for 2 ODIs in the ongoing India-England 7 match series. I understand India has won the series, but is it really fair to the cricket fans ? If I am spending 100 bucks, I would be really upset if I am deprived of watching our best cricketers in action for no reason.

Also why should the fans pay the same price for the tickets, if they have to watch India A or India B team in action. Lastly, Would they have dropped Dravid, if these matched were to be held @ venues like Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata ?
    It isn't ideal but with the amount of cricket that is being played, it is inevitable that players will be rested for less important matches. So long as the public is made aware that certain players are not playing, before the tickets are sold, it is more or less fair. They can then choose whether or not they want to shell out the money to watch the match.
    Member of the AAAS

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz

a) there is a very good reason behind it
    b) if they don't think it's worth it, they can stay at home
    c) removing one player doesn't turn a world-beating team into "India A" .. especially since this is not one of those Indian teams which rely on a single Tendulkar or Dravid to bail them out every time .. Yuvraj, Pathan, Harbhajan and Dhoni have been nearly as vital if not just as vital as Dravid to our success lately
    d) not sure about that, but if they don't drop him because of that, that's stupid. nevertheless, that doesn't mean they shouldn't rest him when it's a good move.

*** with moves like this, we'll ensure that when such moves are made in the future, the fans don't have to watch an India A team because our bench strength will be so much stronger

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I really think they should rest the star players, and more importantly Fast Bowlers from ODI and save them for Test matches
    You know it makes sense.

It disappoints me I must admit, for example I've been to 3 ODIs against Australia and Glenn McGrath was rested for all three. Pretty gutted about that.

It's fair enough though, players have big workloads.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    It disappoints me I must admit, for example I've been to 3 ODIs against Australia and Glenn McGrath was rested for all three. Pretty gutted about that.
    Although they probably knew you were heading along to watch so they could afford to put out any side and they'd still win.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    Although they probably knew you were heading along to watch so they could afford to put out any side and they'd still win.
    A good point.

This was also argued heavily here in Australia with Ponting being rested for a few VB Series games. Gilly too.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    It's not that big a deal, you know the risk you take when you buy tickets, you know that he may or may not be playing, you also know that a ticket to see India does not come with a Sachin Tendulkar hundred or a Dravid 70 guarenteed.

I've argued for a while now that what's really unfair to fans is regularly having to watch players who are undercooked due to the rushed nature of tours nowadays because of the requirements of the world rankings system.

As for the resting of players, it's tough for the paying fans, but we're going to see more of it. Perhaps if they just boycotted the dead games we might see the end of these meaningless drawn out series.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Well it's a kind of shooting yourself in the foot scenario. It's due to the popularity and demand for so much cricket (yes you the public) that players are needed to be rested.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    Would Mick get in on that action?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

I dont see the issue.

International games are between countries. I find going to watch just because of the names of the players a little shallow. That is what charity and exhibition games are for.

For example, games are played by India, England and Pakistan, not Dravid + 10 others, Flintoff and 10 others and Afridi and 10 others.

The game of cricket and the national sides are far bigger and more important than who the players are.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    b) if they don't think it's worth it, they can stay at home
    First of all, small cities like Jamshedpur get one match in 2-3 years and even then most of the tickets are sold before the team is announced, so how are the fans going to know who is playing and who is not ?

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    The game of cricket and the national sides are far bigger and more important than who the players are.
    That's interesting. I watch cricket more to follow certain players and just to see a good match rather than see a country vs country battle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information