• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Local amatuer teams....any interest?

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
There are many many amatuer cricket leagues around the country consiting of players of all ages, so I am just curious as to how many of you take an interest in your local grass-roots team?

My Grandad, the man who introuduced me to Cricket and is one of the most passionate supporters of the game I know, puts his local side Swalwell ahead of the national side or Durham where he is a member. I asked him once wheter he would rather be at the Ashes last day of the last test with a match tied at 2-2 and a game anyone could win, a cricket world cup final or a pointless end-of-season Swalwell match and no guessing what he said the latter and I admire him a lot for that.

I myself sometimes go to the local pitch and see how my home town side, Peterlee, are getting on. They are as grass roots as grass roots can be, I could probably get a game if I asked, but I still like to watch for an hour or so on a sunny weekend morning.

Anyone else?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Scoreboard Confessional tracks my deep-rooted involvement in the grass roots in East Devon... I was umpiring an Under 13 friendly match throughout the final afternoon at Old Trafford... but I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else but the TV for Trent Bridge and Edgbaston, and the Ashes means more than anything in any sport.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I care more about the team i'm playing for than any cricket on tv,even the ashes,because i like playing cricket more than watching it.

I go down to my local club everyday in summer(liverpool CC)

Chubb

International Regular
I care deeply about playing for my team, Upottery CC in the Devon Cricket League, and I like to know what's happening in the higher leagues too. My family have been involved in Hutton Cricket Club in Essex (near Brentwood) since the 1890's. My great-grandfather, grandfather and uncle all captained the first team there. I have played for Hutton Vs, but not for a long time, in fact the last match I played in Essex I ended up playing against them!

Langeveldt

Soutie
I play for Stella Londt Park in Sundridge Vale, Port Elizabeth and am trying to get involved in a good club here in Somerset, especially if im up for the whole summer.. Taunton Deane or Taunton Vale probably

My village team is always great fun, but its has neither the standard nor the pitches to enable me to become a better cricketer.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I play junior and (hopefully this summer) a bit of adult cricket, but not for my local (village) team. However I do go and watch my village play (in Cheshire Premier League, National Village KO Semi Finalists in 2004) a few times a season, particularly when there's decent overseas and ex-county players playing - I've seen Nathan Dumelow, Steve Selwood from Derbs play.

Trouble is, even with 110-overs, 2 innings premier league cricket, it can get really boring - most teams go along at 2-3 an over until about 10 overs before a declaration in due, then it goes haywire and boundaries fly all over the shop.

I also follow my age-group county team and various junior results from around he county, looking out for some of my school's players.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
I am in the Middle East.. no real grassroots team here.. I play for my school and my country if that helps.....!!!

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I don't watch or play for any clubs, currently, after going all over the place for a game. I'm looking, though. Been meaning to put an advert in my totally awesome Cricketweb blog (hehe. Shameless plug), just in the very small off chance that someone from a club within bus distance of St Helens town centre pops in.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I must have played for at least 15 clubs all over, so its always been hard to have strong feelings. I do feel a little jealous of those that build roots and long term relationships with a club.

Anyway, as we are talking club cricket, can anyone help me?
In September Im moving to Tanzania for 2 years work related. Any club recomendations?(pref good standard and good facilities).

Thanks

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I play for a club - Shipston - who have two teams in the top 3 divisions in our area....

I ended up missing the England run chase at Trent Bridge because i was playing cricket....in fact just as i was about to bowl my first ball...England won the match :)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
I ended up missing the England run chase at Trent Bridge because i was playing cricket....in fact just as i was about to bowl my first ball...England won the match :)
Luckily for me, I only turned out for a club in Warrington's 3rd XI when they were short of players last year. And my "Boycott, but without the talent" batting and "occasionally threatening" leg spin weren't required during any of the tests.

Chubb

International Regular
Matteh said:
I was umpiring the closing stages of our President's match, the small crowd we had (we made a day of it) were getting updated by a guy in his car, and they'd shout the score out to us at the end of each over. It was great.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
DanielFullard said:
There are many many amatuer cricket leagues around the country consiting of players of all ages, so I am just curious as to how many of you take an interest in your local grass-roots team?

My Grandad, the man who introuduced me to Cricket and is one of the most passionate supporters of the game I know, puts his local side Swalwell ahead of the national side or Durham where he is a member. I asked him once wheter he would rather be at the Ashes last day of the last test with a match tied at 2-2 and a game anyone could win, a cricket world cup final or a pointless end-of-season Swalwell match and no guessing what he said the latter and I admire him a lot for that.

I myself sometimes go to the local pitch and see how my home town side, Peterlee, are getting on. They are as grass roots as grass roots can be, I could probably get a game if I asked, but I still like to watch for an hour or so on a sunny weekend morning.

Anyone else?

Hmm, I used to go with most of my family (sister, parents, aunt and uncle) to a cricket club in Peterlee on new years eve. Haven't bothered last couple of years tho, aunt and uncle live near that 70s (give or take a decade) modern art thing that lies over some river or whatever - which runs past said cricket club.

Anyway I'll probably be playing for Norton CC (near Stockton/Billingham) over the spring/summer... should be some nice orthodox batting before I completely miss a straight delivery as per usual.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
I play for Vermont Cricket Club in Victoria's east, in the BHRDCA. I played 16As and I occasionally pop in to play thirds. Next year I'm hoping to work my way up to being considered for the seconds. I also play for my school, and took the most wickets this season for the seconds (but I was ignored by the firsts. Apparently wickets dont get you selected).
And, like Daniel's Grandad, I feel a great bond between Vermont Cricket Club and myself. I rarely miss a game, because I just walk up to the oval to watch one during the afternoons. It's bliss.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
I haven't played cricket for nearly 5-6 years now and then that was crappy indoor stuff on an after-school course which i completed but couldn't move onto the next level due to being too young.

And i mean i'm 20 now so there's no chance of me playing anymore :laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Still live virtually next door to Canterbury CC, which I started playing at. Since moved clubs, but still head up there occassionally to pop my head in. It'd be nice to head back there to play one year.