• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your best cricket sledge

Shameless

Cricket Spectator
Classic Sledges !!

i have played cricket at a very good level for 22 years and heard some pretty good ones but i want to hear every one elses best sledges......

i know i have used 1 good one and heard of one very good one...

!st: Viv richards playing county, young new rookie bowls the first over to him, viv plays and misses, next ball viv plays and misses again, and the rookie follows through and gives him the the evil eye, ball 3 viv plays and misses once more through to the keepr, the bolwer follows through and asks for the ball, and in vivs face said its red and round and has stiches all over it, your meant to hit it. next ball viv charges him and puts him into the grand stand, young rookie looks at him and viv says you now what the farkin thing looks like go get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

&

2nd : i used this in a 2nd grade game v northen districts along time ago. come into bowl, guy edges to 2nd slip, we all appeal, umpire gives it not out. as i am standing in the middle of the pitch dumb founded i asked for the ball and at the top of my voice so umpire can hear i say, "pass me the ball i have to pull all the splinters out of it . umpire put me on report and i got 2 games suspension but he never umpired a 2nd grade game again.......

i have alot more which i will share later on but hey lets hear some good one sfrom all u guys....

this will be a funny thread!
I heard one a few years ago which seems to have gone under the radar !!

Jimmy Ormornd walked out against the Aussies, to be wlecomed by Mark Waugh with the comment.." What the f@*k are you doing out here against us ?....you're f"@king sh*t !!....................... to which Jimmy replied memorable..

"At least I'm the best cricketer in my family you tw@t.."...

Absolute peach !!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not exactly a sledge, and pretty well known, in fact I think I've posted it previously, but still one of my favourite stories.

Dates back to the Bodyline series after England won the first test against a Bradmanless Australia - he was back for the second test and Australia batted first. England vice captain Bob Wyatt was fielding in the deep and the crowd behind him kept shouting out to him "Wait till our Don comes in.

Wyatt says nothing

Eventually Bradman does come in and famously pulled his first delivery from Bill Bowes onto his stumps and departs

Wyatt says nothing straight away but a few overs later turns to the mob

"When's your Don coming in?"

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In regards to the Mars Bar sledge, I remember reading somewhere that it was directed at a young Hansie Cronje. He came up with the 'couldn't beat Boonie' reply and went on to score 254.

That's entirely based on memory though, might not be true.

One of my friends came up with 'fishing more than Andrew Symonds', and created names for mystery balls by part time spinners. A basic leg break ended up with 6 or 7 different names to try and confuse the batsmen.

Most of our sledging is directed at each other though, not the opposition.

Marius

International Debutant
In regards to the Mars Bar sledge, I remember reading somewhere that it was directed at a young Hansie Cronje. He came up with the 'couldn't beat Boonie' reply and went on to score 254.

That's entirely based on memory though, might not be true.
I believe that Mars Bar sledge was in that game where Hansie got 250-odd, but was directed at Kosie Venter, someone who was somewhat overweight.

Kosie Venter | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Once Merv Hughes was bolwing to Graeme Hick, and asked him: "Does your husband also play cricket?"

And apparently Hughes to Hick again, who was having a terrible innings. Hughes: "Maybe turn it over, it may have instructions on the back."

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Some classics :

Mark Waugh & Adam Parore :

MW standing at second slip, the new player ( Parore ) comes to the crease playing & missing the first ball.

Mark: "Oh, I remember you from a couple years ago in Australia. You were **** then, you're ****ing useless now."

Parore ( turning around ) : "Yeah, that's me. And when I was there you were going out with that old, ugly slut. And now I hear you've married her, you dumb ****!".
Probably old news but this was actually Blair Pocock saying that to Mark Waugh. Awful man...

That Anderson one tops all for me. Johnson's chip at him is weak as cake in any case, plus he's a fairly average lower order bat with another one at the other end (it's Hauritz, right?). No words back from Jimmy after the wicket, just a look that said all that needed to be said. No send-offs, they're never classy or smart. What a gun.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Probably old news but this was actually Blair Pocock saying that to Mark Waugh. Awful man...

That Anderson one tops all for me. Johnson's chip at him is weak as cake in any case, plus he's a fairly average lower order bat with another one at the other end (it's Hauritz, right?). No words back from Jimmy after the wicket, just a look that said all that needed to be said. No send-offs, they're never classy or smart. What a gun.
Was Harris. Hauritz didn't play in the last Ashes.