• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wilton on Fry was also very good:)

Yet to read the Ranji effort but will have to find a copy

two-thirds of the way through Willow Wand, great read:cool:
Keep meaning to read Wilton's book - I've read Ellis's and once tried to read "Life Worth Living" but couldn't get on with it

Must also pick up a copy of the biography of Mrs Fry who I hear was just as mad as he was

archie mac

International Coach
Keep meaning to read Wilton's book - I've read Ellis's and once tried to read "Life Worth Living" but couldn't get on with it

Must also pick up a copy of the biography of Mrs Fry who I hear was just as mad as he was
I quite enjoyed LwL, but although I loved the Wilton effort I was annoyed that he did not show a photo of a young Mrs Fry who he wrote was a very pretty. But yes they must have been at the best different:laugh:

bagapath

International Captain
I quite enjoyed LwL, but although I loved the Wilton effort I was annoyed that he did not show a photo of a young Mrs Fry who he wrote was a very pretty. But yes they must have been at the best different:laugh:
did he have any photograph of Mrs. Fry, even at old age? Willing to relax the rules a little bit here....

archie mac

International Coach
Just did a quick count of the reviews we now have on the site, and it came to 178. I can still remember asking James if we could start a book review section. He told me I had to come up with at least six reviews, which was fair enough, you can't start a section with just one:laugh:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No there aren't. Not in the public domain anyway. CB Fry himself, of course, is a much photographed man :)
I shall take that as a challenge - I know there's a local history book about Hamble and the Mercury and the Frys time there - I shall have to track down a copy and see if that has any

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I shall take that as a challenge - I know there's a local history book about Hamble and the Mercury and the Frys time there - I shall have to track down a copy and see if that has any
I was about to write, "I doubt if there are" and then changed it to " No there aren't" I am glad I did that. I would love to see how this formidable woman looked when younger. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For those who didn't know. . . Warne wasn't the first international cricketer to be photographed with his pants down.

C B FRY

neville cardus

International Debutant
Cant say I disagree with much of that. I still cant recall anything I have read on the Golden Age, large enough to be the subject of a book, which is better. There are plenty of good articles of course.
Did not David Frith put out something a decade or so ago? And does not Thomson's book comprise a collection of what he considered golden ages, rather than merely that one pre-war period which most cricket followers consider synonymous with the term?

By the way, where have you been hiding my friend ?
Under a mountain of uni work.

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
For those who didn't know. . . Warne wasn't the first international cricketer to be photographed with his pants down.

C B FRY
All too well do I recall being spotted staring at that picture in Wilton's book during Maths class a few years back...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Did not David Frith put out something a decade or so ago? And does not Thomson's book comprise a collection of what he considered golden ages, rather than merely that one pre-war period which most cricket followers consider synonymous with the term?

Under a mountain of uni work.
David Frith's book is mainly pictorial. The two pages of the forward and a dozen pages of the Introduction are more than 80 pecent of all written matter in the book.

Yes the Thomson book covers what he calls The Golden Ages rather than just the 1894-1914 era. It has a chapter on Hambledon followed by another on what he terms the Wandering sides when so called All England sides played across the country. Then a chapter on Grace's time followed by three on what is commonly known as the Golden Age.The last three chapters are basically the beginning and the end of the Bradman Era. I thought it was a good idea to put the periods in the history of the game together in this format. As he writes at the beginning. . .

. . . the phrase Golden Age is in itself of doubtful import...In one sense a golden age is everyone's yesterday.Its quality has the golden mist that tints the gaze of the beholder.​

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Can someone please tell me the best book for reading about the Golden age of cricket? Whether a biography like C.B. Fry or an actual written account of the age.

Wish someone would write a decent biography of Trumper, tbh.
I should have done it earlier but it takes some time and I am lazy :)

Here are the relevant chapters from Thomson's book.

PS : I am unable to upload the scanned images. I got the following vBulletin Message when I was trying to upload the files :-

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.​
Can anyone tell me what's the problem ?