Page 53 of 139 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 795 of 2076
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

  1. #781
    School Boy/Girl Captain Dave Gregory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Armidale
    Posts
    102
    The Gibson preview of the 1897/98 tour would be good. Also, does Ranji make any reference to Syd Gregory in his piece on fielding?

  2. #782
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Which ones (if any) haven't you read?
    The Albert Gibson stuff, I can't recall reading
    You know it makes sense.

  3. #783
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gregory View Post
    The Gibson preview of the 1897/98 tour would be good.
    Watch this space. It is not a particularly good piece -- Gibson is as digressive as Benaud in My Spin --, but it is replete with anecdote.

    Also, does Ranji make any reference to Syd Gregory in his piece on fielding?
    As it turns out, that piece is just an excerpt from his then-forthcoming Jubilee Book. I'll scan it, though, in case you do not have said book, and let you see for yourself.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 17-03-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

  4. #784
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,683
    I have put it up here. What's say we engage with the text and make a long-winded discussion out of it?


  5. #785
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,683
    In return, would you chaps mind browsing through your respective personal libraries in search of Mary Gladstone (Mrs. Drew), Her Diaries and Letters and a similar volume on John Ruskin. Both were present at the 1882 Test Match, and both wrote about it.

  6. #786
    School Boy/Girl Captain Dave Gregory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Armidale
    Posts
    102
    As it turns out, that piece is just an excerpt from his then-forthcoming Jubilee Book
    I wondered if that was the case. Interesting stuff nonetheless.

    Mary Gladstone (Mrs. Drew), Her Diaries and Letters and a similar volume on John Ruskin
    Strangely enough, my personal library doesn't include much on British politics, but I'm sure Archie will have it. If not, let me know and I can probably get it through the inter-library loan system at uni.

  7. #787
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    In return, would you chaps mind browsing through your respective personal libraries in search of Mary Gladstone (Mrs. Drew), Her Diaries and Letters and a similar volume on John Ruskin. Both were present at the 1882 Test Match, and both wrote about it.
    I shall have a check

  8. #788
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gregory View Post
    I wondered if that was the case. Interesting stuff nonetheless.
    You don't have it, then?

    Strangely enough, my personal library doesn't include much on British politics,
    Whereas mine, remarkably, has an embarrassment. I went through it tonight and was (pleasantly) surprised at the cornucopia of tomes on Peel, Gladstone and Disraeli.

    The Victorians were a fascinating bunch, and more in love with their cricket than perhaps any other historical people from the game's land of birth. Overall, they are probably surpassed only by modern-day subcontinentals.

    but I'm sure Archie will have it.
    Thanks to him for taking a gander.

    If not, let me know and I can probably get it through the inter-library loan system at uni.
    And thanks to you for that very kind offer.

  9. #789
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,816
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post

    Good review Arch, I could almost have written it myself........in fact I did write most of it in this thread.

  10. #790
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Good review Arch, I could almost have written it myself........in fact I did write most of it in this thread.
    Yes I am yet to read it

    If you would ever like to write a review of a book, let me know, we would love to have one

    kehlers at iprimus dot com dot au

  11. #791
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,797
    Am reading on the history of cricket indepth. Have finished about 30% of John Major's Early Years of Cricket. Up next will be Nyren's widely acclaimed book after which will be Great Characters from the Golden Age by Malaise and finally Glory Days of Cricket by Ashley Mote.

    Had ordered the new Wisden and can't wait for it to arrive.

    Some good reading ahead...

  12. #792
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    Am reading on the history of cricket indepth. Have finished about 30% of John Major's Early Years of Cricket. Up next will be Nyren's widely acclaimed book after which will be Great Characters from the Golden Age by Malaise and finally Glory Days of Cricket by Ashley Mote.

    Had ordered the new Wisden and can't wait for it to arrive.

    Some good reading ahead...

    All are good reads, so enjoy

  13. #793
    Cricket Spectator Isaac C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    16
    In terms of autobiographies then there’s 3 which really stand out.

    1. Shane Warne My Illustrated Career
    For me probably the best cricket autobiography I've ever read.

    2. Shane Warne: My Autobiography
    Again another great book.

    3. Michael Atherton: Opening Up

    Just behind the other two; he talks about what it was like captaining England in the 1990's and many other things.

    Also Michael Vaughn's a year in the sun is a very good book and I'm currently reading Ian Bothams autobiography.

  14. #794
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac C View Post
    In terms of autobiographies then there’s 3 which really stand out.

    1. Shane Warne My Illustrated Career
    For me probably the best cricket autobiography I've ever read.

    2. Shane Warne: My Autobiography
    Again another great book.

    3. Michael Atherton: Opening Up

    Just behind the other two; he talks about what it was like captaining England in the 1990's and many other things.

    Also Michael Vaughn's a year in the sun is a very good book and I'm currently reading Ian Bothams autobiography.
    I thought the Atherton book much, much better than the Warne bio

  15. #795
    Cricket Spectator Isaac C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I thought the Atherton book much, much better than the Warne bio
    Another I forgot to put on there was Alec Stewarts autobiography is quite good. There isn't another Shane Warne type book on the market eg. from an Aussie playing in this current era. There's been a few Atherton style books from guys like Stewart. But I'm not putting it down at all its a brilliant book.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 2 guests)

  1. a massive zebra

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. Cricket and Baseball
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 26-03-2007, 07:05 AM
  3. Cricket v/s Baseball
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 26-07-2005, 04:56 PM
  4. Windies cricket situation
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-05-2005, 10:43 PM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •