• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

neville cardus

International Debutant
Could one of you most erudite chaps please drop a hint as to which of the books on Victor Trumper is best?
I would recommend Ashley Mallett's, primarily because one of my correspondents (Srikantan Ramamurthy) contributed to it and another (David Frith) has very little time for Fingleton's.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ten Great Innings and Ten Great Bowlers - two great books, both by one Ralph Barker and both of which I'd seen recommended on this thread. I really enjoyed them and highly recommend them both.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ARCHIE!!!!!

OLLIE!!!

Help me lads - this nasty barrister is chasing me all over this Forum - could you sort him out for me

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
Could one of you most erudite chaps please drop a hint as to which of the books on Victor Trumper is best?
The review I did of the Mallett book is here http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/4897.php. I have also done a review of the Peter Sharpham version (Trumper : The Definitive Biography) which I think is in the backlog that Arch is putting up slowly. Both worth tracking down, but forget the Fingleton one (not often you say that).

archie mac

International Coach
The review I did of the Mallett book is here http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/4897.php. I have also done a review of the Peter Sharpham version (Trumper : The Definitive Biography) which I think is in the backlog that Arch is putting up slowly. Both worth tracking down, but forget the Fingleton one (not often you say that).
Yes, the book review section has really taken off, I just hope our reviewers do not get sick of waiting for their reviews to go up:-O

I like the Mallett one as well, but on the Fingo one, it is not so much a bio, but more a tribute to the great man, some of it I can almost quote word for word, it has stayed with me, so a hard one to dismiss (much like the author:) )

fredfertang

There is a good deal of material on VT in Monty Noble's "autobiography" The Game's the Thing

and of course a series of photographs, including "the" photograph in Beldam and Fry's "Great Batsmen - Their Methods at a Glance"

And Peter Sharpham, he of the definitive biography, has done a book on the 1899 Ashes tour relatively recently.

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
And Peter Sharpham, he of the definitive biography, has done a book on the 1899 Ashes tour relatively recently.
I haven't actually tracked that one down yet - is it worth reading? Sharpham's stuff tends to be very well researched.

archie mac

International Coach
There is a good deal of material on VT in Monty Noble's "autobiography" The Game's the Thing

and of course a series of photographs, including "the" photograph in Beldam and Fry's "Great Batsmen - Their Methods at a Glance"

I read the 1899 one, it almost put me to sleep:@

archie mac

International Coach
What happened to the formatting !!!

Looks very odd (and reads funny) without it.
Sorry mate, I took it straight from the doc you send me:unsure:

If you would like I can send you your user name and password and you can change what we have up?

fredfertang

I read the 1899 one, it almost put me to sleep
Thanks for the tip Archie - I had read the pre tour brochures that are reproduced in it but I wont now be rushing to read the rest unless I start suffering from insomnia

neville cardus

International Debutant
Please do.
I have taken the liberty of mending the format. Unfortunately, as Berita's limitations preclude us from employing the indentation that your quotations demand, inverted commas have had to suffice.

At any rate, though, it looks far better now. Well reviewed.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've just bought at a jumble sale for 25p a book entitled The International Cavaliers World of Cricket - published by Purnell in 1971. Really fascinating articles. Two in particular by Jim Laker, one entitled The Shifting Heritage in which he bemoans the poor attendances at County Cricket and sees the One-Day-Game (still in it's infancy) taking over. His best quote from the piece is "The average customer can no longer understand what cricket is all about." In a second article he bemoans the dying art of spin bowling - in 1971:-O .
Other's interesting articles by Bobby Simpson on a "Cricket Revolution" in Australia and by Peter Pollock "An Impossible condition" which is an article written shortly after the cancellation of the Tour - he rightly predicts that it could be "many years before South Africa play another Test at Lords." There's also a World XI by Garry Sobers as a bit of light relief and plenty of action pictures I'd never seen before.
I don't know how easy it would be to find a copy of this book but I'd recommend it to cricket historians or indeed any cricket fan with a feel for history.