• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
That's about £30, not dirt cheap but I've seen worse in second-hand shops here. I do wonder if dealers want to shift their stock sometimes. Patrick Eagar is the son of the onetime Hampshire captain Desmond, I'm not sure if he's still active but cricket books in the 70s and 80s were full of his work.
Yeah, more expensive than I'd hoped. I wouldn't have paid much more.

The Davo book, in its genuine first edition (as opposed to the crappy SBC edition) with a nice dust jacket is pretty scarce (I won't say valuable because ebay has totally shafted the market for that sort of book)
Nah, dodgy paperback from 1977, unfortunately.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's about £30, not dirt cheap but I've seen worse in second-hand shops here. I do wonder if dealers want to shift their stock sometimes. Patrick Eagar is the son of the onetime Hampshire captain Desmond, I'm not sure if he's still active but cricket books in the 70s and 80s were full of his work.
who had one of the great collections of cricket books - sold at auction just before the recession hit - some eye-watering prices fetched

maxbonnell

Cricket Spectator
Several months ago, I mentioned in a thread somewhere here that I was at work on a biography of Herbert Collins, Australia's captain from 1921 to 1926. It's very nearly finished, and I anticipate that it will be published some time around December/January (although no date is yet fixed). This one is being published by Ken Piesse's Cricket Books (publisher of Ric Sissons' book on CTB Turner). I'm told that, at about the same time, Ken will also be publishing a biography of Ted McDonald, the great fast bowler for Australia and Lancashire in the 1920s. So there are a couple of new Australian books in the works for those interested.

fredfertang

Good question. I was told but didn't recognise the name.
I was told, some time ago, that someone called (I think) Nick Richardson was writing one - have always wondered about the suggestion that part of the reason that he stayed in England was a fraud investigation back in Aus - doubtless we will learn more!

maxbonnell

Cricket Spectator
I was told, some time ago, that someone called (I think) Nick Richardson was writing one - have always wondered about the suggestion that part of the reason that he stayed in England was a fraud investigation back in Aus - doubtless we will learn more!

Thanks for jogging my memory. Nick Richardson is indeed the man and it is no doubt a reflection on me that I don't know his work. I'm looking forward to reading this.

I always thought that allegations of wrongdoing were what prompted McDonald to leave Tasmania - though why, I don't recall. Anyway, one to look forward to - although of course I urge you to buy Collins and McDonald as a set!

maxbonnell

Cricket Spectator
A quick google search teaches me that Nick Richardson did his PhD thesis in history on Ted McDonald. As I say, one to look forward to.

fredfertang

Thanks for jogging my memory. Nick Richardson is indeed the man and it is no doubt a reflection on me that I don't know his work. I'm looking forward to reading this.

I always thought that allegations of wrongdoing were what prompted McDonald to leave Tasmania - though why, I don't recall. Anyway, one to look forward to - although of course I urge you to buy Collins and McDonald as a set!
Naturally - put my name down for a copy of the limited edition!

the big bambino

International Captain
There were precedents of players who represented Eng and Aus before McDonald. Midwinter switched allegiance a few times. Does anyone know if McDonald would have been allowed to represent Eng at any time during his time there? Could have been an interesting opponent for us to contend with in any of the 26, 28 or 30 ashes. Could've helped Tate swing the 24 ashes series as well.

archie mac

International Coach
There were precedents of players who represented Eng and Aus before McDonald. Midwinter switched allegiance a few times. Does anyone know if McDonald would have been allowed to represent Eng at any time during his time there? Could have been an interesting opponent for us to contend with in any of the 26, 28 or 30 ashes. Could've helped Tate swing the 24 ashes series as well.
Don't ever remember him being considered for England. On form he would have been a certain starter in the late 20s

archie mac

International Coach
Several months ago, I mentioned in a thread somewhere here that I was at work on a biography of Herbert Collins, Australia's captain from 1921 to 1926. It's very nearly finished, and I anticipate that it will be published some time around December/January (although no date is yet fixed). This one is being published by Ken Piesse's Cricket Books (publisher of Ric Sissons' book on CTB Turner). I'm told that, at about the same time, Ken will also be publishing a biography of Ted McDonald, the great fast bowler for Australia and Lancashire in the 1920s. So there are a couple of new Australian books in the works for those interested.
Look forward to both. Some great Aussie bios released in recent years

fredfertang

Autobiography of some bloke called Tendulkar being published by Hodder & Stoughton in November - anyone fancy reviewing it?