Page 103 of 139 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2076
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    The Frith book is basically a collection of pictures and captions. It's well worth picking up if you see it at reasonable price but there isn't going to be much reading involved.

Just wondering what I've done with my copy now.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    That's an excellent article you've posted today Martin - not a review of the 2009 Wisden - which is what I was expecting - but a potted history of the almanack. Great stuff. How often do you read them though, and do you think it's possible to read a copy right through? I have 1961 and 1970 by my bedside, for reasons which now escape me.
    I read the post WW2 ones quite a lot especially the 50's 60's and 70's - the older ones I am ashamed to say I usually leave on the shelf 'cos the damn things are so fragile

I've only once read a copy right through and that was the 1864 (a facsimile I hasten to add) in order to write that article - it didn't take long!

I can't imagine reading a later one - though Walter Robins, by all accounts, habitually read them from start to finish

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Im not going to take it though Im looking at a Neville Cardus autobiography.

Is that a recommended book?

EDIT- do you need the details of the seller or do you already have them?
    Yes Please

ok, just looking at a few books online.

These caught my eye. All are 1st ed, most signed. They are all available pretty cheap.

Anyone have any opinions on them? Good, crap, waste of space, required reading etc?

The Bradman Era- Bill O'Reilly and Jack Egan
    The Hand That Bowled Bradman: Memories of a Professional Cricketer- Bill Andrews
    The Golden Age of Cricket 1890-1914- Frith, David
    Sort of a Cricket Person- Swanton, Ernest William
    Cricket Crossfire- Miller, Keith
    Cricket Indulgence: An Anthology Of The Cricket Writings Of Chris Harte- Harding, D M
    Behind the Shades- Fletcher, Duncan
    Just My Story- Hutton,Len
    The Greatest Test Teams- Graveney, Tom
    From Larwood to Lillee- Bailey, Trevor; Trueman, Fred

Oh and if Im going to spend a few dollars more

The Story of Cricket's Early Years (1st ed. SIGNED AND DATED) - John Major

Anyone reviewed it?
    The Bradman Era- Bill O'Reilly and Jack Egan I enjoyed this, although it is just text from the video of the same name
    The Hand That Bowled Bradman: Memories of a Professional Cricketer- Bill Andrews One that I have coming from England but still waiting for it to arrive
    The Golden Age of Cricket 1890-1914- Frith, David Get this, great book
    Sort of a Cricket Person- Swanton, Ernest William OK, 3 stars I should think
    Cricket Crossfire- Miller, Keith Not the greatest writer, very basic, but I enjoyed it
    Cricket Indulgence: An Anthology Of The Cricket Writings Of Chris Harte- Harding, D M I have not read this one, but Chris Harte is a good writer
    Behind the Shades- Fletcher, Duncan I have not read that ,but we have a review on the site
    Just My Story- Hutton,Len 3 stars i should think
    The Greatest Test Teams- Graveney, Tom I read this many years ago, and really enjoyed it, nothing great though
    From Larwood to Lillee- Bailey, Trevor; Trueman, Fred I have not read this one

Oh and if Im going to spend a few dollars more

The Story of Cricket's Early Years (1st ed. SIGNED AND DATED) - John Major we have a review on the site
    You know it makes sense.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    That's an excellent article you've posted today Martin - not a review of the 2009 Wisden - which is what I was expecting - but a potted history of the almanack. Great stuff. How often do you read them though, and do you think it's possible to read a copy right through? I have 1961 and 1970 by my bedside, for reasons which now escape me.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I read the post WW2 ones quite a lot especially the 50's 60's and 70's - the older ones I am ashamed to say I usually leave on the shelf 'cos the damn things are so fragile

I've only once read a copy right through and that was the 1864 (a facsimile I hasten to add) in order to write that article - it didn't take long!

I can't imagine reading a later one - though Walter Robins, by all accounts, habitually read them from start to finish
    I find it impossible to read through them. There was a time, in my younger days when I would take up a book and not get out of bed/chair/toilet whatever till I had finished it cover to cover. Somehow, being for over two decades in corporate management and reading a page at a time and at best reading sharp crisp executive reports, one loses the knack. Not being a collector like Martin here, therefore, I have not gone around collecting Wisden's. I do have a complete set of the Wisden anthologies though which are easier to read though, i daresay, I haven't read even half of each

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Yes Please

Have you checked if it is still there. There is one I bought on line yesterday and it was from Australia and the same price.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Hey Martin. I recall you saying there are 28 Thomson books in all. Mind putting up a list. Please

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Hey Martin. I recall you saying there are 28 Thomson books in all. Mind putting up a list. Please
    Did I say 28!!! - If I did I must have been under the influence of something - unless I had read somewhere he wrote 28 in all as he didn't just write about cricket - anyway I think it's more like half that - when i get home I'll get a list out of Padwick and post it

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Did I say 28!!! - If I did I must have been under the influence of something - unless I had read somewhere he wrote 28 in all as he didn't just write about cricket - anyway I think it's more like half that - when i get home I'll get a list out of Padwick and post it
    Well I have 17 and I dont know if there are any more.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Interesting seeing a number of people mention Frith. Im not a fan of his writing style at all. It always seems so disjointed.

The man knows how to pick interesting topics though.
    You are spot on.

He is not a great read. I have quite a few of his books and I use them more for reference since its so difficult to read him.

His best book is Bodyline Autopsy and that too because it is the most exhaustive research on the subject and not because it is a great piece of writing

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    I find it impossible to read through them. There was a time, in my younger days when I would take up a book and not get out of bed/chair/toilet whatever till I had finished it cover to cover. Somehow, being for over two decades in corporate management and reading a page at a time and at best reading sharp crisp executive reports, one loses the knack. Not being a collector like Martin here, therefore, I have not gone around collecting Wisden's. I do have a complete set of the Wisden anthologies though which are easier to read though, i daresay, I haven't read even half of each

This is what I always read in a Wisden, I imagine most would do something similar.

Notes by the Editor, and all the features; the Five Cricketers of the Year.

County reports

Tour and Test reports

Surrey and Kent match reports (home games, I don't tend to seek out the away fixtures)

Obituaries

Books

Cricket in the news, or whatever it's called

I can't remember the last time I read the Laws; and it would take a long time to read all the county and ODI reports. I do tend to check the Index of Unusual Occurrences though, and go to the matches mentioned.

Well I have 17 and I dont know if there are any more.
    These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head - there is also an autobiography called, I think, "When I was a lad" - what other ones do you have SJS?

THOMSON AA
    ODD MEN IN
    THOMSON AA
    CRICKET MY HAPPINESS
    THOMSON AA
    PAVILIONED IN SPLENDOUR
    THOMSON AA
    CRICKET MY PLEASURE
    THOMSON AA
    CRICKET:THE WAR OF THE ROSES
    THOMSON AA
    CRICKET THE GOLDEN AGES
    THOMSON AA
    HUTTON AND WASHBROOK
    THOMSON AA
    CRICKET BOUQUET
    THOMSON AA
    HIRST AND RHODES
    THOMSON AA
    THE GREAT CAPTAINS
    THOMSON AA
    CRICKETERS OF MY TIME
    THOMSON AA
    THE GREAT CRICKETER
    THOMSON AA
    VINTAGE ELEVENS

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head - there is also an autobiography called, I think, "When I was a lad" - what other ones do you have SJS?
    Besides the ones you have listed. I have When I was a lad and Happy Go Johnny which is really written by Thomson although it is shown by Wardle "as told to Thomson"

Thats it actually. It is 15. I have Pavillioned in Splendour and Cricketers of My Time in duplicate thats why I counted it as 17 off my spreadsheet.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    On another note, which are the best books on stadiums to buy? I am looking at Lord's and other possible venues which have created very good books.
    This iis a fairly good list of books on cricket grounds. On Lord's specifically, if you are looking for the history then you cant go beyond these two complimentary volumes.

- Lord's 1787-1945 by Pelham Warner
    - Lord's 1946 to 1970 by Diana Rait Kerr and Ian Peebles

However, if you are looking for a book with lots of glossy pictures and some history then there is the beautifully printed book by Stephen Green, Lord's : The Cathedral of Cricket. A stunningly good looking aqcuisition.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Is there any book on Doug Wright ?`

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Some great stuff about Wisden Cricket Web - Cricket Books: Wisden 2009
    Well done Martin. Great Stuff.

Thread Information