• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kerry Packer

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
archie mac said:
I read that in Chappelli's latest book, a good friend to have but a bad enemy I should think.
Apparently extremely generous and loyal but with an explosive and enduring temper.

BTW, was Chappell's book any good?

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
social said:
Apparently extremely generous and loyal but with an explosive and enduring temper.

Yes not to bad, though I did not agree with some of his comments regarding Steve Waugh. Suffice to say he is not a big fan of the elder Waugh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
social said:

I liked Chappelli's book, I'd recommend it. :)

social

Cheers guys - think I'll get it.

Have heard a few interviews with him recently and he's far more interesting than you'd think from his commentary of matches.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
from cricinfo -

Benaud, recruited to commentate on the first World Series match with Bill Lawry, recalled a defining moment from the late 1970s when Packer's imaginative concept found a place in Australia's sporting legacy. "He was the man who opened the gates at the Sydney Cricket Ground when Australia played the West Indies in that terrific day-night match, the first one ever at the SCG," Benaud said. "The gates were shut, but he declared them open because there were streams of people coming into the ground. That is the abiding memory I have of Kerry to do with cricket."

Can some one explain this to me?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pratyush said:
from cricinfo -

Benaud, recruited to commentate on the first World Series match with Bill Lawry, recalled a defining moment from the late 1970s when Packer's imaginative concept found a place in Australia's sporting legacy. "He was the man who opened the gates at the Sydney Cricket Ground when Australia played the West Indies in that terrific day-night match, the first one ever at the SCG," Benaud said. "The gates were shut, but he declared them open because there were streams of people coming into the ground. That is the abiding memory I have of Kerry to do with cricket."

I guess he let them in for free.

Anyway, RIP Packer. He did invent ODI cricket as we know it.

archie mac

International Coach
Pratyush said:
from cricinfo -

They had a battle to obtain access to one of the major grounds in Aust. After some wheeling and dealing they were given access to the SCG, Packer installed floodlights, and the first ever night ODI game at the SCG attracted a huge crowd. After it became obvious the game would be a sell out and many people would not be able to get in, Packer told them to open the gates and let as many in as many as they could for free. This would not be allowed these days for safety concerns.

I think that is the story, with out checking it up :) (but can if you really want to be sure)

archie mac

International Coach
social said:
Cheers guys - think I'll get it.

Have heard a few interviews with him recently and he's far more interesting than you'd think from his commentary of matches.
I have reviewed the Chappelli book for CW, if you want to have some more feedback before spending your hard earned :)

social

Another interesting tit-bit on Packer.

Tony Greig today made reference to a condolensce email received today by Channel 9 from members of great Windies lineup.

In it, amongst other things, they credit Packer with giving them a lecture that they believe was pivotal in their development as a great team.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some attacking strokes in that 68......far more entertaining than most hundreds reached

RIP KP

Mister Wright

Sad to see Packer go.

Hopefully Packer Jnr's first order of business will be to oust Marc Nicholas AGAIN!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Sad to see Packer go.

Hopefully Packer Jnr's first order of business will be to oust Marc Nicholas AGAIN!
Haha, amen to THAT! Cmon Jimmy..

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
It's worth pointing out that the only reason WSC came along was that the ACB turned down his offer of 1.5 million dollars a year to broadcast the tests and Shield cricket on Channel 9.

There was no hidden, philanthropic reason - just a desire to show cricket on his channel and he did that in a fit of pique.

The benefits were many though, and out-weigh the reasons.

As a by-product, the players received up to 10 times their normal fees to go over to WSC, and that plus the coloured clothing, white balls and floodlights went a long way to giving a lease of life to a dying game.
Don't know about pink ODI uniforms though.

That said it was irrelevant anyway as nobody would dare insult Andy Roberts and his mates because they would come out and make you number one target.

Dean Jones did it to Curtly Ambrose, and yep brilliant decision Deano :laugh: 8-)

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Mister Wright said:
Sad to see Packer go.

Unfortunately Jimmy is a scientologist and a moron (well not quite his old man anyway). Don't know that cricket is high on his agenda.