• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great small team V Great tall team ?

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
After listening to a debate on the radio last night,i was struck by the fact that the commentators claimed that nearly if not all great players (excluding fast bowlers) are of the small nature,now as in small they set a limit of 6 foot,im not sure what that is in cm around 190 i guess. What i was hoping to do was pick out two teams of the best players (records wise) to play the game. I can start a few for the small team that they had named

Gavaskar
Bradman
Tendulkar
Lara
Border
Marsh
Sobers
G Pollock
v richards
Warne
Murrille
marshall
there were others but at this stage i have forgotten who they named.
Now this is where they really struggled,remembering the talls were to compete against the smalls in the record books as of course there is no way to find the winner as they cant play.
They said that the only ones they had found as a gre in talls were Clive Lloyd,a string of west indian bowlers but this is where they struggled foir tall batsmen.
Can someone help to build a tall side ,must be over 6 foot and be able to keep bat or bowl as it has to take on the smalls. I didnt get to the end of the show as i fell asleep so am now confused as to if they managed to get a tall team?
Anyone?

Talls
C Lloyd
?

:gathering:

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
What is tahny grig,sounds like something you can catch or a drink you order in a pub?

:tooth: or a tooth paste hehehe

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jlo33692 said:
After listening to a debate on the radio last night,i was struck by the fact that the commentators claimed that nearly if not all great players (excluding fast bowlers) are of the small nature,now as in small they set a limit of 6 foot,im not sure what that is in cm around 190 i guess. What i was hoping to do was pick out two teams of the best players (records wise) to play the game. I can start a few for the small team that they had named

:gathering:
Nice idea....but to make it more interesting how about..........

Short Team = 5 foot 8 inches (172 cm) and below

Vs

Tall Team = 6 foot 2 inches (187 cm) and above

With those of more average height - (between 5 foot 9 and 6 foot 1) not being considered for either side.....That would be a REAL Tall Vs Short match up

Its too tough unless you have wisden to find out all the old players heights so I'll just do a Post 80s best Tall Vs Short XI...................

Post 80s Short XI Test side

Gavaskar
Sehwag/ Slater
Tendulkar
Lara
De Silva
Border (c)
Ian Smith (wk)
C Vaas
Murali
D Morrison
D Gough

Note... I'm not entirely convinced that Sehwag, Smith, Morrison and Gough aren't 5 foot 9, but can't think of many fast bowling options....maybe Agarkar ...I definately know that although Marshall was short...he was at least 5 foot 9.....

Pretty useful batting lineup...I'd have Border ahead of De Silva at 6 if he is 5 8 or below

Post 80s Tall XI test side....

Hayden
Gooch/Broad
Lloyd(c)
Inzamam
G Pollock (still playing in the 80s)
Flintoff
C Browne (only WK I can think that may be 6 2 or above)
Vettori (unless Kumble's 6 2 or above)
Akram
Ambrose
Mcgrath

Little doubt the short team has the better batting lineup and the Tall the better bowlers..

Who would win??

Who have I missed ??

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
zinzan12 said:
Nice idea....but to make it more interesting how about..........

Short Team = 5 foot 8 inches (172 cm) and below

Vs

Tall Team = 6 foot 2 inches (187 cm) and above

With those of more average height - (between 5 foot 9 and 6 foot 1) not being considered for either side.....That would be a REAL Tall Vs Short match up

Its too tough unless you have wisden to find out all the old players heights so I'll just do a Post 80s best Tall Vs Short XI...................

Post 80s Short XI Test side

Gavaskar
Sehwag/ Slater
Tendulkar
Lara
De Silva
Border (c)
Ian Smith (wk)
C Vaas
Murali
D Morrison
D Gough

Note... I'm not entirely convinced that Sehwag, Smith, Morrison and Gough aren't 5 foot 9, but can't think of many fast bowling options....maybe Agarkar ...I definately know that although Marshall was short...he was at least 5 foot 9.....

Pretty useful batting lineup...I'd have Border ahead of De Silva at 6 if he is 5 8 or below

Post 80s Tall XI test side....

Hayden
Gooch/Broad
Lloyd(c)
Inzamam
G Pollock (still playing in the 80s)
Flintoff
C Browne (only WK I can think that may be 6 2 or above)
Vettori (unless Kumble's 6 2 or above)
Akram
Ambrose
Mcgrath

Little doubt the short team has the better batting lineup and the Tall the better bowlers..

Who would win??

Who have I missed ??
May be Bruce Reid should find a place in this "tall" team.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ramkumar_gr said:
May be Bruce Reid should find a place in this "tall" team.
Did consider Reid.....But ahead of Mcgrath, Ambrose and Akram...definately not

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The tall quicks may have a problem with bowling their natural length to a bunch of midgets - especailly with the current should height rules!

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
Is Darren Gough really under 172 cm tall? Because that is an incredible effort to succeed as a quick being somewhat of a midget.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
zinzan12 said:
I wasn't sure that Langer is below 5 9 .....If he is i'd have him ahead of sehwag and Slater
Cricinfo say he's 178cm, which is quite surprising to me. I thought he would've been shorter. Maybe it's cause you always see him with Hayden

BoyBrumby

Englishman
zinzan12 said:
He may well be 5 9 , but I don't believe he's 5-11
I'd say 5' 11" is a fair estimate for Goughie, actually. I think he looks shorter than he is for a couple of reasons: a) his width, he's a stocky old unit; & b) he looks short in comparison to other quicks. Most of our other seaming options of his test era (Caddy, Fraser, Headley, Malcolm) were all around the 6' 3" - 6' 5" range.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting isn't tall either

though i would say Gilly would be about 6 foot 2, not sure exactly how tall he is but hes definatley not short.