• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Golden Oldies vs Gilded Youth

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hard to find a fault with your conclusion, Brumby, thanks to the difference in bowlers. The young'uns would also have Morkel in reserve.

Can we not find a place for Tendulkar? KP would likely be the one to go, though. I would also try to squeeze Dilshan in there if I could.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Another dig for this to see if youth or experience would hold sway.

Think currently I'd be looking at something like this:

Under 30 XI

1) AN Cook (26)
2) G Gambhir (29)
3) HM Amla (28)
4) LRPL Taylor* (27)
5) IR Bell (29)
6) AB de Villiers (27)
7) MJ Prior+ (29)
8) SCJ Broad (25)
9) Shakib Al Hasan (24)
10) DW Steyn (28)
11) JM Anderson (29)

30 & Over XI

1) GC Smith* (30)
2) SR Watson (30)
3) R Dravid (38)
4) JH Kallis (35)
5) KC Sangakkara (33)
6) KP Pietersen (31)
7) BJ Haddin+ (33)
8) DL Vettori (32)
9) GP Swann (32)
10) DE Bollinger (30)
11) CS Martin (36)

Haven't considered injured players or else Zak and Sehwag would be mortals for the over 30s.

Genuinely struggling for seamers for the old men, but Watson and Kallis can send down a few. Few months & Tremmers and Mitch will be eligible tho.

I'd take the under 30s, myself.
Brumby writing off Sachin again after one series, even in an over 30 XI? :-O :p

I don't see how you can have Sanga over Sachin. They both had a relatively poor England series. Except Sachin's 18-24 months before that was better, including winning test player of the year. Surely he makes an over 30 team.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Also, shakib down at 9 seems unfair. Should bat ahead of Broad. In fact, drop Taylor, play Prior & Shakib at 6&7 and play Morkel.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Brumby writing off Sachin again after one series, even in an over 30 XI? :-O :p

I don't see how you can have Sanga over Sachin. They both had a relatively poor England series. Except Sachin's 18-24 months before that was better, including winning test player of the year. Surely he makes an over 30 team.
He has a case, obvz. But one can only pick so many batsmen & he doesn't look in great nick just now. There's also no Ponting, Clarke, Trott, Jayawardene, Chanderpaul, Laxman, etc.

& Sanga did score a ton in a game that was saved too. :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And Dravid scored 3 tons in losses too. :ph34r: I kid of course.

Fair enough, I guess we disagree in terms of how much weight you're putting into the last two months. I generally make combined XIs over a minimum of 12-18 months, especially considering how some countries play more cricket than others at certain points of time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Also, shakib down at 9 seems unfair. Should bat ahead of Broad. In fact, drop Taylor, play Prior & Shakib at 6&7 and play Morkel.
Assuming Broad maintains form, Steyn/Anderson/Morkel/Broad is one of the most hilariously overpowered pace attacks you could ever see.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming Broad maintains form, Steyn/Anderson/Morkel/Broad is one of the most hilariously overpowered pace attacks you could ever see.
Quite like old times :)

And it would have been an even tougher call if Asif & Aamir hadn't got themselves banned.

I'm astonished at the lack of quality quicks in the over 30s though. They'd do better if it was a one-day side, with Lee and Gul coming into contention.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah most Pakistani cricketers have their wrong ages given. You'll see it less often now since the country is switching to more electronic forms of documentation

JBMAC

State Captain
"Many a good tune is played on an old fiddle". Having said that over 30 does not mean over the hill and ready for retirement. Colin Cowdrey and Bobby Simpson are living proof of that. So I think I would have to back "the oldies" purely for sentimental reasons.I stopped playing Grade myself at 42 when off drives became late cuts

Howe_zat

Audio File
Under 30s

Dave Warner (28)
Kane Williamson (24)
Steve Smith (26)
Virat Kohli (28)
Joe Root (24)
Angelo Mathews (28) / Shakib Al Hasan (28)
Sarfraz Ahmed (28)
Stuart Broad (29)
Tim Southee (26)
Yasir Shah (29)
Trent Boult (26)

Over 30s

Alistair Cook (30)
Chris Rogers (53)
Hashim Amla (32)
Michael Clarke (34)
Younis Khan (37)
AB De Villiers (31)
BJ Watling (30)
Mitchell Johnson (33)
Rangana Herath (37)
Dale Steyn (32)
James Anderson (32)

High profile retirements in the last four years - Test cricket no longer has Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag, Pietersen, Kallis, Smith, Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Chanderpaul, Harris, Ajmal, Swann, Vettori or Dhoni. The over 30s still a tough batting lineup to crack thanks to recent graduations over the 30 mark.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Under 30s

1. Mayank Agarwal (29)
2. Kane Williamson (29)
3. Babar Azam (26)
4. Joe Root (29)
5. Marnus Labuschagne (26)
6. Ben Stokes (29)
7. Quinton de Kock (27)
8. Jason Holder (28)
9. Pat Cummins (27)
10. Kagiso Rabada (25)
11. Jasprit Bumrah (27)

Over 30s

1. David Warner (33)
2. Dimuth Karunaratne (32)
3. Cheteshwar Pujara (32)
4. Steve Smith (31)
5. Virat Kohli (32)
6. Ross Taylor (36)
7. BJ Watling (34)
8. Ravi Ashwin (34)
9. Neil Wagner (34)
10. Mitchell Starc (30)
11. James Anderson (37)

Most spinners I could think of were over the 30 mark except Rashid Khan and a handful of other blokes with not many tests. The ICC rankings are very favourable to fast bowlers right now. Not sure if I should have found room in the young side for Tom Latham.