• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top ten greatest bowlers and batsmen of all time

Satguru

Banned
you rate Steyn pretty highly...........
Well why not? He's been the world;s number 1 bowler by far for a good 4 years now, with only Anderson in the last year or so coming anywhere close to his class. Great record in a batting friendly era. His 7-51 at Nagpur was the turning point for me... before that i considered him a good bowler but thought his record was so good mainly due to his pace-friendly home pitches.

I dont necessarily mean to say Steyn is a better bowler than Imran or Hadlee by ranking him higher in my post, but i saw very little of their careers to really grasp their complete awesomeness... shame really :(

Jacknife

International Captain
Impossible for me to rate cricketers i didnt watch, so ill just restrict it to those cricketers whom ive watched playing or atleast seen plenty of footage of to make a decent judgement

Batsmen:
1. Sachin
2. Lara
3. Viv ... unfortunate that ive seen very little of his batting apart from robelinda's videos. :wub:
4. Steve Waugh
5. Dravid
6. Ponting
7. Kallis
8. Martin Crowe
9. Gavaskar
10. G. Chappell

Bowlers:
1. McG
2. Murali
3. Ambrose
4. Steyn
5. Imran
6. Warne
7. Hadlee... need to see a bit more of him tbh :(
8. Wasim
9. Waqar
10. Donald
No Marshall? if you've seen Gavaskar, Imran and Chappell you must have seen Malcolm.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Restricting it solely to players I've seen (live or live tv)

Batsmen

1. Tendulkar
2. Lara
3. Ponting
4. Dravid
5. Kallis
6. Sangakkara
7. Laxman
8. Yousuf
9. Pietersen
10. Gilchrist

Bowling

1. McGrath
2. Warne
3. Muralitharan
4. Steyn
5. Kumble
6. Shoaib
7. Pollock
8. Anderson
9. Asif
10. Zaheer

Had to rack my brains a fair bit for that. Bowling a bit threadbare.

Satguru

Banned
No Marshall? if you've seen Gavaskar, Imran and Chappell you must have seen Malcolm.
Its not really about how long ago the cricketer played... Being Indian, my father followed Indian and Pakistan cricketers pretty closely, so half my childhood was spent watching stuff like Gavaskar's 236 or Imran destroying India in Sharjah... Almost all of the cricket ive watched from before '91 is from my dad's tapes, he had a good amount of Hadlee footage, but precious little marshall for some inexplicable reason... maybe three r four series... one of them was his awful- quality tape of the 1990 series in Pakistan, where Marshall was pretty average..
:mellow:

Marshall was undoubtedly one of the greatest ever, i just havent watched much of him... apart from a few dozen youtube videos.
Vow to watch more of the great man... :D

Beleg

International Regular
zinzan,

definitely post-1990.

richie richardson's very under-rated, IMO. saeed anwar came close to making that list. bond didn't play enough :(

bishop's another one i rate really high.
in terms of ODI, i was always a big fan of roger twose and neil fairbrother.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Fav players I have seen live:

Batting

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Lara
Hayden
Gilchrist
Jayasuriya
Klusener
Yuvraj Singh
Afridi
Gibbs

Haven't forgiven Ponting for the WC 2003 final yet.

Bowling

Warne
Lee
Waqar
Murali
Akram
Akhtar
Steyn
Mcgrath
Bond
Zaheer Khan

Jacknife

International Captain
Its not really about how long ago the cricketer played... Being Indian, my father followed Indian and Pakistan cricketers pretty closely, so half my childhood was spent watching stuff like Gavaskar's 236 or Imran destroying India in Sharjah... Almost all of the cricket ive watched from before '91 is from my dad's tapes, he had a good amount of Hadlee footage, but precious little marshall for some inexplicable reason... maybe three r four series... one of them was his awful- quality tape of the 1990 series in Pakistan, where Marshall was pretty average..
:mellow:

Marshall was undoubtedly one of the greatest ever, i just havent watched much of him... apart from a few dozen youtube videos.
Vow to watch more of the great man... :D
:thumbsup:

kingkallis

International Coach
As seen Live or on Live TV

Top 10 batsmen :

Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Rahul Dravid
Inzamam ul Haq
Matthew Hayden
Mohammad Yousuf
Kumara Sangakkara
Shivnarine Chanderpaul

Top 10 bowlers :

Curtley Ambrose
Dale Steyn ( Bowled extremely well in the batsmen dominant era )
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
Allan Donald
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shaun Pollock
James Anderson

Satguru

Banned

Top 10 batsmen :

Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Rahul Dravid
Inzamam ul Haq
Matthew Hayden
Mohammad Yousuf
Kumara Sangakkara
Shivnarine Chanderpaul

Top 10 bowlers :

Curtley Ambrose
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
Allan Donald
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shaun Pollock
James Anderson
Steyn above McG ?! :-O

kingkallis

International Coach
Yeah, he did not have much support from batsman or bowlers! McG had Warne and Lee with him...I know its a silly logic but again Steyn took ALL of his wickets in batsmen dominating era and does deserve that spot!

Spark

Global Moderator
Wait, what? Steyn has played his entire career with Kallis, Smith and ABdV in the batting lineup and has bowled in partnership with Ntini/Morkel too. He's had support.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My top 10 bowlers that I've seen (and understood) bowl in Test matches.
1. Ambrose
2. McGrath
3. Warne
4. Akram
5. Muralitharan
6. Walsh
7. Younis
8. Steyn
9. Donald
10. Gillespie

bagapath

International Captain
top ten bowlers i have seen live or on tv

marshall
hadlee
warne
mcgrath
murali
lillee
ambrose
imran
akram
donald

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Top 10 bowlers :

Curtley Ambrose
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
Allan Donald
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shaun Pollock
James Anderson
Surely Walsh, Kumble, Bond, Akhtar > Anderson