• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODIs or 20/20 ?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
20/20 to me isn't that great i have seen most of the internationals & a lot of domestic games & it hasn't impressed me much i love ODI & i dont i dont agree with the stupid introduction of the super-sub or poweplays :wacko: , ODI cricket is perfect just the way it is.

In all honesty does anyone have a real problem with the way things operate from the 15 -40 over of an ODI???

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
In all honesty does anyone have a real problem with the way things operate from the 15 -40 over of an ODI???
I certainly don't, especially when there are batsmen who are quick between the wickets batting during that period.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
I certainly don't, especially when there are batsmen who are quick between the wickets batting during that period.
exactly plus the fact that during that period its a nice build up for the slog overs :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
aussie said:
Its completely blown out of proportion. The reason people have become bored with ODIs is not because of the format, but rather the amount of ODIs that are played. They become meaningless.

As for Twenty20, its not for me. I'm not really a fan but if there are fans out there and it has an audience, so be it. However... STOP WITH THE CORNY GIMMICKY MUSIC DURING INTERVALS!

Glad to let that out.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Blaze said:
I hate it. I am all for trying to attract new people to our great game but why sacrifice the standard of cricket?
You dont like it? why are you commenting on it then? write on this thread then

greg

International Debutant
2020 should revolutionize ODI cricket. It will change perspectives about what is possible for batting sides with wickets in hand, and also give fielding captains far greater flexibility since every bowler will know how to bowl at the death.

greg

International Debutant
And frankly I don't think people whose only experience of 2020 is the NZ-Aus game are really qualified to comment.

Langeveldt

Soutie
ODI's by the biggest distance imaginable... Like comparing cricket and baseball with even less skill..

And i've photographed a lot of twenty20, I can see why it exists, and im glad so many like it, but its not me at all... And im worried its going to take over everything, everyone goes for money at the end of the day, even if they have good intentions..

Tom Halsey

International Coach
20/20 by a long way. ODIs strike me as boring and pointless and I've never liked them. In the middle overs theres defensive fields and not overly attacking batting. Boring.

And to those who don't think wicket-taking is important, the best way of slowing the run rate is taking wickets.

greg

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
ODI's by the biggest distance imaginable... Like comparing cricket and baseball with even less skill..

And i've photographed a lot of twenty20, I can see why it exists, and im glad so many like it, but its not me at all... And im worried its going to take over everything, everyone goes for money at the end of the day, even if they have good intentions..
2020 doesn't necessarily have massive commercial advantages over the ODIs. 2020 is about getting the crowds in (especially to domestic cricket) whereas the real money from the International game comes from television - which wants lots of Ad breaks.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
50 overs ODIs. The day 20/20 takes over ODIs, I will stop watching ODIs. It's a disgrace to cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tom Halsey said:
And to those who don't think wicket-taking is important, the best way of slowing the run rate is taking wickets.
No doubt, but the art of "taking wickets" is lost in Twenty20.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't see why all 3 versions cannot co-exist. I mean, India are playing about 35 ODIs per year on average. I don't see any reason why they should not cut it down to about 25 ODIs and play some 10 or 15 Twenty20 (yes, that is how it should be written, not 2020) games... I think that will be the best way, to try and balance out the 3 different formats of the game. I think Twenty20 will bring about good changes in ODIs and that in turn will bring about good changes in Test cricket. See how much good ODIs have done to tests (the run rates in the AShes, anyone?)

Shounak

Banned
20/20's dragging in more viewers though. We wouldn't have a world cup or any of these ubiquitous one day tournaments if Kerry Packer hadn't used his noodle a few years ago.

Heaps on people find one day cricket boring and test cricket unbearable. But 20/20 cricket enthralling.

And let's face it, tastes are changing. The so called "play station generation" which would probably include me, are more into immediate gratification. It sucks, but it is what's happening.

Now that people have had a sniff of 20/20 cricket, will they be content with ODI's anymore. I'm referring to people who aren't cricket lovers. It's a necesary evil methinks.Albeit a fun one.