• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web Content - Feedback

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks both of you, much appreciated and I'll keep your comments about the intro in mind in future. Won't have much chance to practice in this test series by the look of it though!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm more than a little impressed with the standard shown by our newest hacks.

Seems the old fellow's going to have to watch his step.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Quiet, you... :p

Andrew,

Very nice, concise. Maybe a stray letter in the intro confused me a little bit, and a couple of extra words in parts, but aside from that, very good quality.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
Good idea for a thread. Wonder if people would mind having a look at my report of day two of NZ v Zimbabwe? (here)

It's my first report and I'd like to know if I'm on the right track. Thanks! :)
Superb match report Richard. I would never have believed this was your debut.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yes - Andrew and Ed both did a superb job with their first up match reports. It's fantastic to have some fresh blood on the CW Team :)

_Ed_

SJS said:
Superb match report Richard. I would never have believed this was your debut.
Thanks a lot. Good to know that I'm on the right track.

Although, in some ways I'd like to have written something appallingly bad first up so there'd be no disappointments with any future reports!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
James said:
Yes - Andrew and Ed both did a superb job with their first up match reports. It's fantastic to have some fresh blood on the CW Team :)
Makes me glad I left when I did - I couldn't ever get that level of ability into my reports!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
LE,

Sorry, but I have one major complaint from your last report.

Length.

I enjoyed the first part of your write-up, but after about a third of the way through, I gave up. I just did a word-count and it clocks in at almost 3000 words. It's hard enough to keep someone's attention on a 1000-word newspaper story, but it's even harder for someone to read 3000 words on a computer screen. Bearing in mind it's a five-day test, potentially, there could be 15,000 words dedicated to it.

Which is nice for the archives, but I'm sure I probably wasn't the only one who didn't even get close to finishing it.

I'm not sure whether you like to compare to Cricinfo - in fact, length may be your point of difference, but their jumbled-together bulletin reached 914 words.

Aside from that, I love your writing style.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
LE,

Sorry, but I have one major complaint from your last report.

Length.
Complaint duly noted.

Funnily enough, I haven't the time to make it shorter.

That might sound a little Irish (I can be forgiven for that because I work in Dublin) but I write most of the report as I'm watching the game. If it were my 'proper' job and my editor were screaming at me to give him a thousand words, that would be what they got - pretty well the same as you could get in any newspaper or any website, and about 5 hours after the day's play had ended, because I would be only making notes during the day and only then producing the 'live' copy. It would also be devoid of the emotions I felt at the time.

Look on them as historical documents (no cracks about 'Galaxy Quest' - oh, all right - just the one). Go back and read it again in a year - you might think differently.

Last edited:

_Ed_

AndrewM said:
My report on day 3, second test.

http://www.cricketweb.net/article.php?CategoryIDAuto=1&NewsIDAuto=637

Warm fuzzies are fine, but i encourage as many responses as possible (regarding everything posted here). There is always scope for improvement, and that applies to anything.

Criticism, when constructive, can certainly be beneficial.
Looks very good to me. If I had any advice I'd give it but can't think of anything at the moment, good work!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very good indeed - told you before. I've got to watch my step or they'll be taking away my key to the staff toilet.