• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World's Greatest Cricket Legend

Who is the world's greatest cricket legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duncan

U19 Debutant
SJS said:
That is a very strange remark.

A legend is not necessarily someone you have seen!

In fact mostly legends are partly or wholly mythical !

Or when stories and fables are built around real life figures they acquire legendry status !

In fact, it is rare for someone to attain legendry status in his/her life time hence the phrase "became in a legend in his lifetime" which is to stress the rarity of such an achievement.

So to say that a legend for any of us has be someone we have actually seen is to deny legendry status to the thousands of legendry figures down the history in all sphers of human endeavour.

I dont think its is necessary to name such legendry figures including negative ones like Attila The Hun whom I never had the "pleasure" of seeing :p

Dude, I know what legends are. But I don't think historical legends are the same sports legends. Almost all sports legends are in modern times. All I know of Bradman is his 99.9 Test average. He's a certainly a great and a legend but I don't even have an image of him in my head when I think of him. That's why I didn't vote for him. Besides, I like to go against the majority. :p

James

Cricket Web Owner
King_Ponting said:
One person who knows the world over- C_C.......... i think not. You cant speak for india let alone the whole world. Your a minority within the majority. Your obsession with all things indian and hatred of all things australian is obvious and u, despite your denials, are a rascist pig
Un-called King_Ponting as has been already mentioned by other members in this thread, keep it clean please (first warning).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
I wonder if 'some people' means 62 people out of 66 so far :p

What percentage is that.....I wonder ?

If 62 out of 66 is 'some, what is 4 out of 66......I wonder ?? :huh:

C_C

International Captain
SJS said:
I wonder if 'some people' means 62 people out of 66 so far :p

What percentage is that.....I wonder ?

If 62 out of 66 is 'some, what is 4 out of 66......I wonder ?? :huh:
People willing to listen to a logical train of thought without letting their persona prejudices or appeasing attitude come in between ?
8-) 8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Please read the highlighted word(s). If the story/person doesnt enjoy popularity, its not as legendary- according to the definition.
Yes, but taht does not mean that because a player is more popular he is a bigger legend.

C_C

International Captain
to SJS

I didnt expect anything better, considering most of your post is posting recollected stories, anecdotes and a hellbent appeasement streak with very little logical debating going on.
Ofcourse, like a true diplomat, when you say you wont engage with so-n-so, it doesnt stop you from sniping away and commenting on their posts.... ie, getting your piece in anyways without the added burden of trying to defend it.....convinient indeed......thought of a term in the parliament yet ? You'd fit right in.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, but taht does not mean that because a player is more popular he is a bigger legend.
If his LEGEND is more popular, he is a bigger legend.
Period.
The definition's usage of the word 'popularity' is not in respect to popularity of the subject per se but popularity of the LEGEND of the subject......ie, how big a legend you are depends on how POPULAR your legend is.

Like i said, a lotta people came to realise Bradman's name AFTER he was compared with Tendulkar. Keep that in mind.
And i await your snipe inaccordance with your 'CC is racist, since i cannot counter his viewpoint, so i will post an irresponsible comment with poor sarcasm in it' line of attack.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
How very ridiculous.Why do you even waste your time Marc.

The popularity of a story for it to become a legend is not the same as the popularity of a sportsman or individual. The term popularity was used there to imply "widely believed"

But then what can one expect...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BoyBrumby said:
To return to the original question I can actually see IT Botham winning the Sky vote, especially when one considers the voting audience (British, almost exclusively) & that The Ashes commence during the voting period. 1981 & all that is very much in people's minds just now.
Never underestimate the parochialism of the great British public. According to Sky's viewing public the world's greatest cricket legends are (in time-honoured reverse order):

3) Sachin Tendulkar

2) Sir Don Bradman

1) Ian Botham
(!)

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Never underestimate the parochialism of the great British public. According to Sky's viewing public the world's greatest cricket legends are (in time-honoured reverse order):

3) Sachin Tendulkar

2) Sir Don Bradman

1) Ian Botham
(!)
So it was a popularity contest. C_C was right. :@

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bradmen by a long way.

Safe to say there wont be a player like him for a long while. To average almost 100 in 52 tests is remarkable. He had an aura around him, and he is by far the greatest cricket legend in my mind

C_C

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Botham won.

It is just not possible to legislate for the stupidity of the average person.

Botham winning is logical, given that it was a BBC poll and the bulk of the votes came from UK-based people, where Botham's legend is the strongest.

Like i said, 'who's the most legendary' translates to 'who's legend is the most popular' and it reflects the respective base-strength of the players
If such a poll is conducted in West Indies, Brian lara or Gary Sobers would blow away everybody.

vladiator

Cricket Spectator
C_C:

I am a Russian, and I only became interested in cricket a few month ago. But I knew the name and appearance of Shane Warne for a decade now, and I have heard of Lara's records for at least five years. I never heard of Tendulkar until I made some Indian friends about a year ago.

Maybe I am an exception, since you said that Tendulkar is popular in non-cricket countries. But you said it yourself that popularity must be expressed in either awe, love, hate, etc. I am pretty sure that even if a person in a non-cricket country knows a name of Tendulkar (or almost any other cricketer and their achievements), they do not get any of those feelings. The reason is simple - they don't care about cricket or anything connceted to it. I can tell you that Henning Fritz is a very good and famous handball player. Do you feel awe or hate, or anything? I didn't think so...

In any event, to be the most known is not the same as to be the most legendary. Otherwise, as was mentioned, Beckham would be the biggest legend as, thanks to modern media and advertisements, he is known almost everywhere in the world. A person from a village in China might never heard of Maradona or Garrincha, but would know of Beckham. But Maradona and Garrincha are bigger legends that Beckham could ever hope to be. Why? Because there was something special about them and the football-savvy people can see it. It includes popularity, achievements, influence on the sport etc.

You can find many examples when the amount of popularity is not directly proportionate to "legendarity". I am sure Lara and Gilchrist are more well-known that Bradman. But are the more legendary? Also, you can find, for example, some Indian football player who is very popular and well-known in India. Does love and support of 1bn people make him a biggest football legend? Probably not.

I believe it is false to base the test just on the player's exposure around the world. It must interwive with achievements and general influence on people around the world. Although Bradman played during the period when it was easier to play cricket (according to you), he still scored much more runs that anyone else during his time. That means that he was simply an extaordinary player of that generation. Thus, he would get my "rookie" vote.

a massive zebra said:
Botham won.

It is just not possible to legislate for the stupidity of the average person.
The whole show was a complete waste of time.

I saw a few minutes of the series and couldn't help but watch it like this. 8-)